Spy38W

Riggers - What do you carry your stuff in?

A question for the riggers and aspiring riggers with tools. I was wondering what people who don't have a loft, or who are rigging on the road use to carry all of their tools. The bag that Para-Gear has looks nice, but not $175 nice, and plastic toolboxes seem too bulky, IMO. Right now I'm thinking of just getting a courier bag and sewing some extra courdura pockets on it to hold everything nicely (and get some sewing practice in) but figured I'd check to see if anybody has a better idea.

Thanks in advance

--
Hook high, flare on time

I've got a plastic tool box that I'm rapidly realizing is too small and I'm going to need a different one soon. The one I have has a top bin drawer, then a removable tray layer, then the bottom of the box. Its working great for thread spools and needle organizing, but for keeping the tools in order it sucks. I'm thinking since I need practice on the sewing machine about making a case.

Does anyone know where to get some 1-3mm plastic sheets about 20 inches square? I'd like to make it like a folding book with 2 sides and need a stiffner on the book.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Does anyone know where to get some 1-3mm plastic sheets about 20 inches square? I'd like to make it like a folding book with 2 sides and need a stiffner on the book.

You might also want to check Home Depot or some other local hardware stores, they usually have huge rolls of Lexan and other softer plastics that might be better for the cold environments you get in winter, and would be available in any size you could possibly want or need.

--
Hook high, flare on time

The bag that Para-Gear has looks nice, but not $175 nice

Jump Shack makes the same type bag for $60.00. Also the reason that a lot of riggers do not use tool type boxes is it is more difficult to count your tools when you are done. The soft kit bags have a place for each tool and makes accounting for them visually easier.

The bag that Para-Gear has looks nice, but not $175 nice

Jump Shack makes the same type bag for $60.00. Also the reason that a lot of riggers do not use tool type boxes is it is more difficult to count your tools when you are done. The soft kit bags have a place for each tool and makes accounting for them visually easier.

Will have to check into the Jump Shack Sack, also, that was part of the reason I was liking the Para-Gear bag, if I see an empty space, I know somthing is wrong.

Missed seeing you around SAR... hope all is well with work

--
Hook high, flare on time

I use a fancy fabric tool bag sewn up by Rigging Innovations. Its expensive, but it does the job well. I set a couple of grommets through it so I can hang it on the loft wall.

If I were starting today, I would pick up a $30. bike courier bag and sew up some tool rolls with one pocket per tool. One pocket per tool greatly simplifies counting tools at the end of a pack job.

When I was active, I actually made my own fancy fabric tool bag. Pockets for all of the esoteric tools, velcro to hold stuff, even a built in pincushion and a neat strap for the handcuffs (ooh -- did I just say that? :$).

Actually, it was pretty good, and held everything I needed. Unfortunately, someone else also thought it was cool and walked off with it. Ah well, it's only stuff.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I use an instrument repairman's briefcase. http://www.jensentools.com/product/group.asp?parent_id=5150 I got it years ago. Carrys everthing except weights. Zippered pockets for seal etc. Couldn't find the price on line but it used to be $75. Mine was salvaged, unused for 10 years, from work.

Another topic I was going to cover at the Part Time Riggers forum. I'll have mine there.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

BUY a tool bag??? Come on folks, part of rigging is sewing, and sewing a kit bag is a great way to practice and at the same time make something useful. If it takes making two or three, so what? You need the skills!

We used to provide basic outlines/guides to people going through our rigger's course as part of the sewing block. They worked on tool pouches for their tools and (eventually) put them together by building them into a "soft briefcase" design. This was all done under the guise of their sewing project and seemed to work quite well.

It's not hard, just find something that works well for others and copy it. Rigging is more than just folding parachutes, and there is nothing worse than a technician who can't do all of their job requirements well ;)

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."