mar.rei

JVX 69 - can someone tell me anything about the opening? Someone out there who fly this size of canopy?

i had a velo before and don´t like the snivel of them because of his turning right and left during the snivel. The only important for me are a on heading snivel without turning.
i also do alot of jumps with cam.
i will be sure that the canopy have a better opening like the velo.
Skydivezone.at

Do you mean a 69 JVX or a 96 JVX? Your profile shows you used to jump a Velo 96, and moving from a 96 to a 69 is a VERY big downsize, and in truth there are very few people who should be going anywhere near a 69 sq ft canopy.

What is it you're doing with a camera that requires an on heading opening from a small x-braced canopy? I could understand if you're BASE jumping or shooting Crew, but an X-braced canopy isn't good for either one of those.

i don´t take care about my Profile! I have no Velo anymore. i sold of of them. At the moment i fly again my old Nitro 88 and i´m looking forward for a new canopy below 80 sqf. I doesnt like the velo because he turns during the snivel and open not stright. I did few jumps on a XF15 and this canopies have realy nice stright openings without turning on the snivel. Just a little bit shakeing but not strong.
Skydivezone.at

Look man, everyone is entitled to their opinion about openings, and what they like or don't like. You said that you jump a camera all the time, and because of that you needed on-heading openings, and I'm just wondering what the connection is.

None of that addresses the fact that you're asking about the highest performance canopy in production in one of the smallest sizes they're willing to produce. Jumping a Velo that is 40% larger, or a Nitro that is 30% larger will not prepare you for a 69 JVX, especially with under 1000 jumps total.

Not what you wanted to hear? Too fucking bad, you post a question, be preparred to hear every possible answer, good or bad.

yes i know it is the smallest canopy on the marked.
I alot of jumps on a Velo 79 with a wingload of 1.88 and have also some jumps on a Velo 75 with wingload 1,99.

I´m not looking forward to get a savety lesson here!

I have a question and would like to get only a answer about that!

If you have something interesting news for me about the JVX please write it down or leave!

---let me take care about my savety!---
Skydivezone.at

---let me take care about my savety!---

You're doing a great job of it by becoming defensive when someone makes a point you don't want to hear, and then deleting your jump numbers after that same person points them out.

Anyone who's interested, he had his jumps listed at 900 before I called him out and he deleted it.

Just so you know, you don't have 'alot' of jumps on a Velo 79, because when it comes to high performance canopy flight, you don't have a lot jumps on anything. You should be looking at 900 jumps on one high performance canopy, similar to a JVX (Velo, VX, Xaos) and close in size to a 69 before thinking about a JVX 69.

I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but again, this isn't the 'Whatever mar.rie wants to hear' forum, this the 'Swooping and canopy control' forum.

OK.

anyway!

You are right.
You are right in all points!
I´m soo glad to meet you!
Nobody can teach me savety bettern than you.
thank you!

Can someone out there help me more as davelepka?

I need some feedback about the snatch force, snivel, Inflation and Heading control during opening.

Thank you so much!
Skydivezone.at

Guys - chill, both of you.

do you know what i don´t understand?
you take care about the Forum.
you move treads who are written in the fals category, you close treads or lock it if you have a reason for that. But if you looks a bid around here you will find alot of treads where someone ask a question and other people post answers who have nothing to do with the primal question.
All posts from davelepka have nothing to do with my question! rather you should move this answers from davelepka to the category "Savety and Training" as to advise both of us.
Skydivezone.at

I have a JVX 87 and it opens very well ... in controlled environments (ie: hop n' pops).

Come on you should know this. There are better canopies out there for normal fun/work jumps when you have a camera strapped to your head. It's important for working camera fliers (tandem or 4-way) to be able to make the next load. Anytime you fly such a high performance canopy you know the chances for malfunctions are increased.

Use the right tool for the job.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I have a JVX 87 and it opens very well ... in controlled environments (ie: hop n' pops).

Come on you should know this. There are better canopies out there for normal fun/work jumps when you have a camera strapped to your head. It's important for working camera fliers (tandem or 4-way) to be able to make the next load. Anytime you fly such a high performance canopy you know the chances for malfunctions are increased.

Use the right tool for the job.

Pls tell me something about the snivel.
Are the JVX also turning right and left like the velo or are he even straight on the snivel?
How is the inflate?
Do the JVX inflate constant to both sides?
Skydivezone.at

You're probably barking up the wrong tree with the JVX. I've met a number of camera guys who use a xaos-21 (not the 27!) for it's openings. They don't behave as "badly" during the snivel as velocities (I've jumped both). However, they will still take off and put you in unrecoverable line twists if you fail to treat them with respect.

I would also add that if you're getting consistantly bad openings, it may be due to your lack of experience. Velocities - and x-braced canopies in general - are highly sensitive to body position in the harness during opening. Your ability to land the canopy won't help if you can't open it successfully! You might do well to spend more time on something like a xfire2 or Katana @ 1.8-1.9 wing loading (the xfire2 makes an excellent camera canopy) and then go back to the x-braced. I would really consider that because you don't seem to have quite enough experience for what you want to do just yet, but maybe in a season or so. It's worse if you're light (which given your canopy size / wingloading examples you must be) as the smaller canopies tend to be more aggessive at a lower wingloading than their larger cousins. Same is true of paragliders. This is in part due to the relative length of the control and suspension lines.

You should re-evaluate your options... and the JVX definitely isn't the answer.

Edit to add:

Given that you mention that you have a lot of experience on a Nitro 88 @ 1.7 in another thread, you really should get some more experience on a canopy like a Crossfire2 or Katana at 1.8 before going crossbraced. Ultimately, stepping up too early will only damage your confidence and hold your canopy development back - and bad / scary openings are the obvious symptom of that.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

- The snivel is nothing out of the ordinary. But while I have taken the canopy terminal, the majority of the jumps are sub terminal (ie: hop n' pops) and my experiences with the canopy may not be the same what you want to know. However (knock on wood) I have not had any problems with the canopy when I have done a terminal opening with it.

- My JVX does not turn left or turn right when I open with good body position and have done a reasonably good job packing the canopy symmetrically. You know what they say, poor body position is the most common contributing factor that causes canopies to spin on opening. Next is a poor pack job followed by a bad line set and only after all this could one talk about a canopy that turns one way or the other on opening. My observations are that my JVX opens straight when everything else is controlled.

- How does it inflate? Ha ha ... it's a canopy, it wants to open. So far I have no reason to think it will stop inflating.

Sounds like I may be loading my JVX 87 higher than you may load a 69 (even though the JVX does like to be loaded fairly high). But I also use my JVX as a swooping canopy and I grew up as a hop n' pop swooper. My experiences with my JVX as a competition hop n' pop swooper are going to be different than someone who does camera jumps for tandems and 4-ways. It is what it is.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

- The snivel is nothing out of the ordinary. But while I have taken the canopy terminal, the majority of the jumps are sub terminal (ie: hop n' pops) and my experiences with the canopy may not be the same what you want to know. However (knock on wood) I have not had any problems with the canopy when I have done a terminal opening with it.

- My JVX does not turn left or turn right when I open with good body position and have done a reasonably good job pack the canopy symmetrically. You know what they say, poor body position is the most common contributing factor that caused canopies to spin on opening. Next is a poor pack job followed by a bad line set and only after all this could one talk about a canopy that turns one way or the other on opening. My observations are that my JVX opens straight when everything else is controlled.

- How does it inflate? Ha ha ... it's a canopy, it wants to open. So far I have no reason to think it will stop inflating.

Sounds like I may be loading my JVX 87 higher than you may load a 69 (even though the JVX does like to be loaded fairly high). But I also use my JVX as a swooping canopy and I grew up as a hop n' pop swooper. My experiences with my JVX as a competition hop n' pop swooper are going to be different than someone who does camera jumps for tandems and 4-ways. It is what it is.

Thank you very much for your helpfull answers!
Skydivezone.at

Most (More then 95%) of my JVX openings have been at terminal velocity.

they open splendidly at terminal with the stock slider and with an RDS(para concepts).

I a lot of jumps on a Velo 79 with a wingload of 1.88 and have also some jumps on a Velo 75 with wing load 1,99.

These canopies want to be loaded at over 2.0 and if he is loading a 79 at 1.88, he is very small.

I try not to talk in size numbers anymore, as people get too hung up on sizes> Wing loading is much more relevant and if he had of asked what a jvx opens like at a 2.3 wing loading nobody would have thought about it more than once.

I am moving to a 72 all sail to be competitive in speed and distance (keeping my 79 for accuracy), I will be 2.6 (+ with lead) wing loading and I am not a big guy.

For mar.rei,

I would not worry about the openings on a jvx, if you pack them respectfully and don't do too much to them they open fine whether you are hop'n'poping or jumping at terminal.

As someone said earlier, if you want docile openings get a crossfire, if you want a jvx at 2.2+ then expect the odd funky opening with g's.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I personally love the feature of the velo that shows me where everyone on my skydive and the skydive after me is in the sky...

D
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.