Kirils

Hornet Flying Hot?

I had one and loaded it at about 1.3-1.4, didn't try to swoop it, just had fun flying it. Now I'm flying a Heatwave (also by PISA) loaded at about 1.64. That's actually over the listed limit, but it still flies very well, as for people using them for swooping, yeah you can swoop it, I swoop my Heatwave (although I'm only getting about 150ft, but that's due to me as the pilot, not the canopy), but I don't see how anyone would use it for a *real* swoop competition. Basically, the Heatwave is very similar to a Stilleto, although it is not nearly as twitchy and it dives much better with a longer recovery arc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

150ft is my high end (averaging around 100ft) and I would be laughed off the DZ if I showed up to a PST qualifying...

Whats the actual rules about sub-5ft, your feet when they enter the gate, right?

Come out to ASC for the PST intermediate dealio in March.

You can do it, there was a big guy there on a crossfire 149 this winter....it was his turf and he beat me (all my swoops were longer, but I broke the rules twice and he was consitent).

you could do the same:)

"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

...be careful with that one, it's pretty easy to fold up the nose with a front riser...

How far is too far? Good question, it varies with wing type, loading, riser and arm length...

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Of course it will recover. There is NO canopy that will stay in a dive, that negates fundamental principles of canopy design, that the canopy is producing lift. The canopy shape produces lift, a component of that is drag, the two of them together creates a recovery arc. Now, some canopies have a very long natural recovery arc, but not a single one will STAY in a dive.

For anyone that says their canopy will, I ask them to go do a clear and pull at 10k, put your canopy in a dive and let go of all the inputs (toggles, everything). Video that and show me that your canopy dove the entire way to the ground, and you had to pull your self out of a dive to land it.

When I first got mine I had a bucking problem when using front risers but it just turned out to be brake lines were too short, so I let them out 3in and now it flies beuatifully with no problems at all, and I have very kight frontriser pressure!
(150 @1.2:1)
jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

Will it recover itself given altitude?

All canopies will recover, if allowed to. That's the nature of an uncompromised wing (ie - no snagged/retarded lines, torn material, etc.). It's seeking equilibrium, which is an inflated, gliding state (again, if the lines and material are all as they should be).

The real question is, do you have enough time for it to recover and to regain control and to regain heading and...splat...

Of course, if you were to fold the nose over and have the leading edge dive through a cascade....

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Brake setting and line trim drastically affect front riser performance. A quick and easy test for steering lines to to front riser the canopy without the toggles in your hands, then pick up the toggles and try another front riserr turn. If there is a difference between the two, then the steering lines are too short. Of course, make sure you have plenty of clear airspace and altitude when doing this.

Hook

my question was refering to the nose folding under

Oh, ok...well my point is still valid...:P

Um, well, that depends on a whole lot of variables, most importantly altitude and the position of Venus with Mars. (basically, it might, but at that point I wouldn't wait around to find out, I'd chop that bitch so fast it would be scared to open wrong for a month).