dropdeded

Anyone Fly a Batwing

Lets just say, If you're thinking about purchasing a used one, Don't do it.

WAY WAY out of my league.Just curious how commen they are.I have one that was lent to me to practice packing.Im a lowtimer,been grounded,broke, and its the only available chance to learn packing at this time.I wouldnt put that thing on at gunpoint.WAY WAY out of my league.Appreciate the concern but it aint goin nowhere near the dropzone with me.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Dont know much about anything yet but a buddy has a Batwing and I was wondering if they are very popular?Just curious cause hes the only one Ive seen flying one.

Comments?

dropdeded

An instructor at my DZ jumps a Batwing. He thinks its the coolest thing on the planet. But then most would say that when they have only jumped one canopy for the past 8 years!!

Its the only one i have ever seen and it flies like a bit of a dog.

But then, he jumps it with the slider collapsed:S, and 'likes' the openings it gives him????

I wouldn't buy one. (do they still make the things??)

We used to call them "Splat Wings". There is a guy I know who has 600+ jumps on his and loves it. He was lucky and bought a good one.

There is some inconsistancy in all canopy manufacturing and inspite of bad reports on a canopy performance some may fly well. Nova's are still out there. I jump an AR-11 and think mine is a great canopy... PA is still making the Bat Wing.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

I jumped a Batwing for about 7 years. Put close to 1000 jumps on it. They are not the most common canopies to be seen. I live in the pacific NW and I think there are only a couple of other Batwings up here. When I was in Georgia a number of years back I was surprised to see a bunch of them. They seemed as if ther were more popular in the South East, north of Florida.

I took a lot of grief for jumping one but I had no problems with it and never cut it away iin all the jumps I put on it. It did not like being out of trim but what canopy does. I could fly it well and had better performance under it than many of the people giving me grief. Also a number of the people giving the grief had never jumped one and were just adding to what they have heard from somebody else.

The canopy is in the same performance category as the Stiletto. There are some differences and I am sure that somebody will come up next and say how wrong I am. All I can say after jumping both canopies a bunch is that I liked the Batwing better and bought one. First of all I liked the openings much better and it did not seem as prone to the Spinetto moniker, my experience. The initiating of turns was slower with starting a toggle turn compared to the stiletto but once the turn was going they were similar in speed. Also on a Front Riser turn it seemed to be smoother compared to a Stiletto. In a landing turn it would dive a bit more than the Stiletto. I also found the bottom end flare was better under the Batwing and I was able to shut it down in a wider variety of wind conditions. I did find that the Batwing did not like to be really overloaded. It seemed to be happiest around a 1.7 load regarding performance. It was good at a 2.0 load but dropping down to the next sized canopy down from the 2.0 load it just seemed overloaded and was missing some landing performance.

The Batwing was a good canopy. It is similar to a Stiletto but there are a distinct differences, some noted above. I would not recommend the canopy, or a stiletto for that matter, to an inexperienced canopy pilot. Both canopies will bite quickly so if you looking to get one make sure you have some experience under your belt. Also if you looking at a used one, find out about the number of jumps on the line set, it will fly poorly if you have a old out of trim set on the canopy.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

would not recommend the canopy, or a stiletto for that matter, to an inexperienced canopy pilot. Both canopies will bite quickly so if you looking to get one make sure you have some experience under your belt.

Just want to make sure its clear again.Myself,I am in no way entertaining the idea of jumping something like this,that would be suicide.It is just an interesting canopy.
Thanks for the info

Just lookin to learn

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I have a 116 batwing with a speed kit. It is faster than a 104 fx. It is fun to fly - drops out of the sky like you are carrying an anvil. It has tons of flare at the end. I am a very conservative canopy pilot. I do not hook. In fact they used to make fun of me because I set up this batwing like I was landing a 747.

I have put about 500 jumps on it. I mostly jump my Saphire 119 because I do AFF and I want to make it back to the dz.

As with any eliptical canopy, you have the dreaded scarry line twist issue. I have never had to cut mine away, but have seen many.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I don't like them. They land well but are very squirrley in brakes - if you open and start a turn, the turn _will_ get worse until you release the brakes. This was a pain in the butt as I often have to do stuff after I open (like talk to the student on the radio) and I didn't want to have to release the brakes right away. That also made me wonder about what problems I would have if I ever had to flat-turn away from something at the last minute.