powerline

Snowkite crossover - Ozone Speedflying

18 years foil background, looking to get some opinions on Speed Flying. 8 years snowkiting, I'm bound to move into this and need some expert opinions.

Swoop control low aspect ratio + snow and snowboards, low speed with nice trim on the sail to aid in controlled flight across the face for low flight, horizontal cross pass on face.

Besides the brand here ( Ozone ) does anyone know more about others trying to enter this market ? PD has something but I can't find any info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCyCYVcyQBE

Hey, there are a lot of companies/people in this expanding market (have been for a few years now).

I fly a GIN Nano 13 but take a look at the following for more info :-

Speedflying.com

Paragliding Forums - Speedflying

Speed Flying - UK

Have fun, it's a great sport.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

hey,

I fly an Ozone Bullet 12 and an Aeros Ballistic 105 for speedflying.

The Bullet is an 07 model with a slight tendency to oversteer and a much higher roll component in its turns than most skydive wings. It's also easier to launch, however.

Have fun!

Hi Will,
Are you off in search of snow and air this winter?

I'm trying to plan a quick trip to Verbier between Christmas and New year, Chamonic in Feb and then (if funds allow) Les Arcs in March.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I did voice my objections about it on Paragliding Forum at that time that :

1) Why are PG instructors with a couple of hundred speedfly wing launches becoming automaticaly a speedfly instructor...Why not from skydiving, or ski instructor background.
2) If you jump outa heli and swoop down the mountain, is that speed flying or what?
3) It is just a different launch method and canopy piloting is not a exclusive domain of PGers
4) In Germany, speedflying is considered ski kiting provided one flys under 30m to the terrain.

I understand PG and skiers do have more knowledge of local meteology than
skydivers and that is a major issue.

The reply I got from an forum modulator whom is Swiss was : Do you want to fly in Swiss or not?

A very hasty decision made by die Swiss, probably for monetary interests.

cheers

WHat resorts do you fly at? Have you had any problems with flying there. When did the paragliding world take on speedriding in switzerland. France still is not governed by anyone for speedriding. I go to switzerland about once a week to fly and would not like to get in trouble so where is a no no to fly.

I don't fly "yet".

IIRC it was since beginning of 2007 that the Swiss Paragliding Federation recieved the responsability of speedriding/flying whatever.

Best is to get in touch with the local paragliding schools where you fly... they can tell you where/when/how.

As always, as long as you don't hurt anybody or yourself, and don't get caught because you don't have the ridiculous immatriculation we need as Swiss, you'll be fine :P

The reason we need a license is for the 3rd party liabilty, in case you hurt someone/break something which isn't yours. For your own accidents, we have an insurance which is paid by our employers and covers almost anything.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

"France still is not governed by anyone for speedriding"
Wrong , Speed riding is under the responsability of the FFVL ( http://federation.ffvl.fr/ ) . If you jump a FFP licence , no insurance for you and the others so Be aware of that .
Blue skies
Chris

I checked the site and my french is shitty, but what I guess is they are following the swiss directive...do they specifically require you to have a paragliding licence? or you demonstrate in front of speedriding instructors with skis and do oral theory? I have the impression appropriate amounts of 3rd party insurance is a must in Europa so whether your flying is legal or not might become a sticky isssue if you do have a mishap...insurance co. always try and find a way out not to pay up.
Please. anyone with French is appreciated to get some info....
cheers :)