gearless_chris

Swoop clothes

Has anybody been doing videos all day, say at least 5 jumps, then did a regular jump without camera wings, and noticed their canopy flying different? With all the talk about R.D.S. and the new low drag risers I wonder where the point is that your clothing makes an impact on canopy performance.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I wonder where the point is that your clothing makes an impact on canopy performance.

It's common knowledge among competition swoopers to wear tight clothing rather than a baggy freefly suit or a wide sweater. On a highly-loaded canopy the difference is very noticeable.

I wonder where the point is that your clothing makes an impact on canopy performance.

It's common knowledge among competition swoopers to wear tight clothing rather than a baggy freefly suit or a wide sweater. On a highly-loaded canopy the difference is very noticeable.

When I was swooping with my katana 107 (with a wingsuit) I realy felt the difference.
(Okay, not my best decision to wingsuit with the katana, but that's another story)

So if tight clothing is the goal why not biking shorts instead of all the 'manpris' :P

your clothing makes an impact on canopy performance.

Absolutely! Just ask Ian. Wearing tight spandex allows him to significantly reduce the drag (up to 7.2%) and go through the gates at neck breaking speeds of up to 26 miles per hour. It's downright scary, i tell ya.

your clothing makes an impact on canopy performance.

Absolutely! Just ask Ian. Wearing tight spandex allows him to significantly reduce the drag (up to 7.2%) and go through the gates at neck breaking speeds of up to 26 miles per hour. It's downright scary, i tell ya.

Lol thats funny as hell. 26 is pretty fast right?

26 is pretty fast right?

It's not "pretty" fast. It's lighting-like fast. But still not as fast as GW's 28 mph or Stu's unheard of 29.7 mph. But even that was not as fast as Hans' or Morris' 32 mph, which is, according to the smart books, equal to the speed of light. I mean you could literally see the Doppler effect in action as Hans was turning redder and redder as he was going through the gates...

P.S. Now, after the US Canopy Piloting Nationals, high speeds are no longer measured in the denominations of the speed of light . Instead they're measured in denominations of morrises or hanses (whatever part of the ocean you're on). For example the nominal velocity of propagation is now measured as 0.7 hanses.

It's in the Geneva Conventions, look it up.

It's only a matter of time before they are all wearing slick suits like speed skiers and skaters. As speeds keep getting faster and competition increases from more skilled pilots then the clothing will reflect that need for a competitive edge. It may look gay but it will happen.

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

You HAVE to wear swoop pants. Those are what all the cool guys wear. Every cool dude on the DZ has those neato looking short pants (or maybe they are long shorts?).
I don't know. I only know that I paid Firefly $280 for a pair of them and got ridiculed for being a poser. (I jump a Spectre 170 - apparently I needed to be on a Velocicrasher or something cooler)

Now I only wear them when I go to the mall.

That sounds like a good reason to downsize, just kidding! I'd like to have some pants made out of that dragon skin armor I saw on the Discovery channel. Bulletproof, yep, that's what I need.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.