frost

PST is dead, Uncle Pete. I am setting my Pro card on fire in Atlanta this weekend

How pathetic is this?

http://www.canopypiloting.com/home.asp?ItemID=711&rcid=82&pcid=81&cid=82

We will have a speed course set up during practice and you just have to get thee out of 5 successful runs! They don't have to be in order. To make a successful run you have to "score" the entry gate and then fly through to the exit gate without touching any airblades or the ground. Its that simple. The judges are on your side and they will make sure your in control and can swoop gates.....period.

All i have to say is: "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

No shit!

Wait, you actually got a card? All I have is my certificate, I've been asking Slaton to send me a card for a number of months now.

Money is more important then preserving the sport and moving it forward.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you were ever a spectator or have watched any swooping on YouTube you'll be allowed to compete at the PST.

I've watched the vid of Scott Miller swooping a Nav... does that qualify me? :P:):D
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

SWEET DAVE ! Does this mean I can compete in swoop week this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay!! now all I have to do is get this damn knee surgery over with so that I can try and tackle some more gates!!!!! lololololololololololololololl
I would like to consider myself an avid youtube watcher so I should be f%$king awesome!!!
damn I picked a hell of a time to become a swooper!

No matter what this crap is this year, just go out and swoop your asses off for us young guys.
It's all fun and games till the ground gets big!

nor have I - it seems to be a last minute decision these days.........I might have to organize it this time. Since I cannot get past 100 pts in CPC and it's getting embarrassing, I might as well become the SwoopOrganizerChick !!! ....c'mon Mike, we can do it! You do the lane set up in the pond :ph34r:, I'll keep the scores :P....LOL! Fat chance, I know...

To All,

I'm on the fence about keeping this topic. Personally, I feel (quite strongly), it needs to be discussed BUT if it doesn't stay constructive I'm going to lock the thread.

I will say that I am VERY disappointed in the decision to just open up the gates to anyone after having worked my way through the system, just like most other pilots on the tour these days. IMO, it cheapens the hard work. I'll also add my disappointment that the PST, this year, seems to be nothing more than an exhibition event - 2 different freestyle events? Come on. If it's supposed to be an exhibition or a PST freestyle event, fine - call it one.

We could do carving ZA (traditional speed course with ZA at the end), Carving Accuracy (quad gates), Ultimate speed, etc along with a SINGLE freestyle round (which, btw I've ALWAYS felt should not be in the same comp as technical events).

Just my thoughts.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I will say that I am VERY disappointed in the decision to just open up the gates to anyone

but thats just for qualifiers. Keep in mind the only thing that is really changing is the way you get to the CPC championships. For me (and others) its hard to find a CPC meet to go to. Regional CPC's are dwindling and I'm finding myself traveling 1200 miles for a 1 day event. Yes some can do it but I would think that not everyone.

I agree that hitting the gates 3 times is not much of a requirement but what else would you propose? I like the original thing that Jim which was that you just had to go to one cpc and then your good.
Na' Cho' Cheese

From my understanding at looking at the emails it appears the CPC championships are open to just about anyone EXCEPT current "pro" pilots, hell i knew of pilots last year that didn't participate in a single regional cpc meet that paid their money and were able to compete. The qualifier on the other hand appears to be for people who want to participate in the PST but haven't qualified in the past to do so. i could be wrong but that's how i understood it
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I agree about the freestyle events. That's like putting a combing supercross and motoX. Both are hard and both relate, but they don't exactly mesh well together.

At least the USPA Nats are traditional events. Although I think it would be neat to add a freestyle comp to Nats separate from the traditional events.

I also agree that the changes cheapen the hard work of the people that have come before.

Now, what will become the new pro-level swoop comp to go to? Right now it looks like the work that Hayes did in Florida and the new direction that Al has taken it, the new event to go to is definitely Al's regional swoop comps.

Well, here's to hoping that things won't be as bad as they seem.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm not part of the CPC or the PST but I do Swoop in a committed fashion, just not good enough to compete. Probably never will be. I know Jim well enough, and I think he has done allot for the sport and should be given credit for building swooping to the level it is today. CPC and PST were his babies, and I'm sure he would be very happy if others picked up the leadership role and continued the legacy. To include running CPC and PST Events and handling all the Certificates and Pro Cards. Has anyone reached out to him to inquire about taking over???

It seems easier for folks to just bitch and do nothing. Which seems what this thread is all about. Why is it that the Jim Slatons and Olav Zipsers become the targets of such ridicule after they have done so much for their disciplines. Yeah it sucks when you don't get your piece of paper proving you can do what it says. But hell if your good you don't need a piece of paper to prove it. Not getting you're certificate is a loud and clear sign that Jim is probably done with the PST. And when folks lose their motiviation unfortunately that sometimes means they don't wrap up all the loose ends. That's Life sometimes. His Announcement clearly backs that up.

I don't organize CPC or PST events but I do organize Freefly events. And I can tell you first hand it aint easy.........especially lately to get a good turnout to an event. Perhaps he just want's a good turnout to say goodbye. Perhaps he wants to tie up those loose ends and get folke their cards.

He does clearly have guidlines in place to compete and I think he eludes that this will be both a CPC and PST event. So I'm not sure what all the outrage is.

Why don't folks just thank Jim Slaton for his contributions to the CPC and PST and quit bitching. There is far to much complaining in this sport. Thank him and work on continuing the discipline if you have what it takes to do so.

Harry,

I wanted to comment on a few items in your post to clear up any misconceptions:

I know Jim well enough, and I think he has done allot for the sport and should be given credit for building swooping to the level it is today.

Absolutely. There's NO denying that Jim has been a very effective marketer in the swooping arena. He's accomplished a lot and that can't be taken away from him.

CPC and PST were his babies,

Not entirely true. I believe the PST was co-founded with Lyle Presse. Jim and Lyle later parted ways though.

The CPC was spawned off of Chris Hayes, and Justin Thorntons, idea for a grass roots regional meet. It was so successful that it was partnered with the PST and spread to other regions outside of the South East. Al has now taken over the FLCPA and it continues to do well.

Has anyone reached out to him to inquire about taking over???

Communication has been non-existant this year. Until a few weeks ago no-one even knew if there was going to be a PST this year. I had to read about it in a newspaper article to even confirm there was one.

Why don't folks just thank Jim Slaton for his contributions to the CPC and PST and quit bitching.

Competitors travelling halfway across the country, expressing a desire to have specific events is hardly bitching. Jim has been adaptable in the past and changed events based on swoopers opinions - this is an area to voice those opinions.

Thank him and work on continuing the discipline if you have what it takes to do so.

Jim is thanked after each and every meet - at least by me, and a good number of other competitors. He'll also be the first to tell you that you need a thick skin to do what he does.

Blues,
Ian

Now, what will become the new pro-level swoop comp to go to? Right now it looks like the work that Hayes did in Florida and the new direction that Al has taken it, the new event to go to is definitely Al's regional swoop comps.

Very true. This meet alone we'll have a LOT of the Pro's going to Nationals this year. It'll be a great trial run.

Blues,
Ian

he has done allot for the sport and should be given credit for building swooping to the level it is today.

Nobody is taking that away from him. but if it wasnt him, it'd be someone else. In fact there are respected people that claim the idea was not his or his alone

Has anyone reached out to him to inquire about taking over???

Why? Why not just run your own, like Chris kinda did and now Al is doing with FLCPA? Forget his rules and fees and all of that. This is a time for a change - PST is dead for a reason. Lets see what the new age brings.

Why is it that the Jim Slatons and Olav Zipsers become the targets of such ridicule

Simple. Arrogance. Have you ever heard anyone say anything about other top free flyers, pilots and organizers?

Yeah it sucks when you don't get your piece of paper proving you can do what it says. But hell if your good you don't need a piece of paper to prove it.

You're right. That "piece of paper" means nothing, it's the effort, money and time that went into getting it that matters. And in the end those who have became better. But try to understand what Ian said about feeling that the value of the work you've done was cheapened by this announcement.

His Announcement clearly backs that up.

The only thing his announcement means to me is yet another poorly handled situation. Just like he did with Kevin Love.

Perhaps he just want's a good turnout to say goodbye. Perhaps he wants to tie up those loose ends and get folke their cards.

or perhaps it's yet another way to make a few quick bucks? ;)

***Why don't folks just thank Jim Slaton for his contributions to the CPC and PST and quit bitching. There is far to much complaining in this sport. Thank him and work on continuing the discipline if you have what it takes to do so. Yes, yes. Thank you, oh Lord Slaton for allowing me to pay you fees for CPC and spend a year on the amateur circuit, then big money to travel to finals to try to get to the Pro level and compete with the best. And then finding out that i didnt really need to - all i had to do was hit the gates three times out of five and not even in order :D

Not so much geared towards you Ian.........

Just replied to your post since it discussed dropping the thread. And you happen to be mature.

I just get sick of complaints when others are not doing anything to step up themselves.

Yes others were part of starting PST and CPC. But Jim integrated them and was a big reason they grew and became successful. I'm sure others played big roles too.

If folks are reaching out to get their card or want info about events, I'm sure he has reasons for not responding. If you are truely interested in reaching out to him regarding taking over...........I'm sure he would respond.

Yes you do need a thick skin, unfortunately that was probably not a light hearted comment from him. I've been reading negative Jim Slaton posts for awhile now, and personally I'm getting sick of it.

Just the kind of response I expected. What are YOU doing to change the discipline????

I have dealt with Jim Slaton..........I don't find him to be arrogant at all. Have you formed your opinions from personal interactions with him or just assumptions.

Have YOU ever tried to make a living at developing a discipline?

How many Events have you organized?

How much of your own money have YOU invested to sponsor an event?

How much of your own Money have YOU invested to run a website or multiple websites to communicate about and promote the sport?

How much of your own money have You spent to sponsor canopy pilots or promote a new canopy line other than PD???

Do you really think all of this happens at no cost? Do you really think its arrogant to ask for event registrations or Certificate costs to cover the costs of running PST?

REALLY................Can you do it better????

Come to me with a response when you've laid it on the line, both with your commitment and you're OWN MONEY.

It's Sooooo easy to Bitch.........But so hard to back it up some times.

ah, you missed the points completely... as expected
Does every one of your question need to be answered with a "Yes" and "This much/this many" in order to have an educated opinion? If so - then 99.9% of canopy pilots, freeflyers and RW people have no business expressing their opinions. But fine - send me a PM i will lay it all out for you.

I have a hunch that competitive swooping at a "pro" level is not going to dissappear and in the year(s) to come i'll bet that their will be more "individual" competitions and not so much a Tour type setting per say, but i guess we'll see.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Not really interested in you laying it out for me. I think you can get a point across without personal attacks.

I actually agree with allot of what you have to say on these forums in general.........But I don't endorse the comments in this thread.