phoenixlpr

swoop by beep, Neptune vs. Optima

I have noticed that altitude indicated on Neptune(2 v3.0) and Optima has about 10-20m difference. Optima indicates higher altitude. It might have 2 outcome if I use Optima as swoop guide: getting 10-20 high or getting underground .

Is it reasonable to decrease swoop warning altitudes on Optima by the offset?

Any ideas?

I think you should reconsider your ways of setup. It sounds you trust your altimiter too much if you are afraid of coming in becouse of 10m difference in your altimiter.

Also I think more important is the consistency of the information that your altimiter keeps telling you not so much the actual truth distance.

The way I see it ( 270 for example) is that the first 180 I initiate moreless by the altimeter but I while turning I evaluate the hight (and ajust the rate of turn according to the height) and before the last 90 I already know if Im gonna end ep too low or high and can react to this by readjusting the turnrate of the last 90 to hit the spot...

(my experience is that the VISO is pretty consistant)

I think you should reconsider your ways of setup.

Agreed.

To quote a highly respected swooper, the ideal is to hit an imaginary "tennis ball sized target" out in space at the right point to start your swoop.

Truth is, you should be able to fly through an imaginary tennis COURT sized target and still engineer enough accuracy to make the gates every time.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

If you're refering to the series of short beeps that gets faster and faster until your target altitude - yes the Neptune has that now. (in the new v3.0 firmware).

I think they call it the "swoop coridoor".

The only downside is that you cannot yet use the new firmware with the Wave.

I have noticed that altitude indicated on Neptune(2 v3.0) and Optima has about 10-20m difference.

Same observation here! The previous v2.6.2 would usually "agree" with Optima. On the other hand, it happened with old firmware that a couple of times the difference was as much as 150m :o (Neptune indicating lower ... and being wrong :P ).

the 10-20m difference doesn't bother me much, but I've asked alti-2 about these 150m differences. Strangely, they didn't bother to reply >:(
Anyway, this did not happen again after fw upgrade (yet) :)

... and more to realize you do not necessarily need to do a hook right then and there, or one at all. I noticed when I first used the optima I felt really anxious when it went off, much like when your ditter goes off around pull time. Took me some time to "unlearn" that pavlo dog syndrom... anyone else?
HYPOXIC

Also I think more important is the consistency of the information that your altimiter keeps telling you not so much the actual truth distance.

Gotta agree with that... considering that the pressure difference between say, 150m and 160m is about 110 pa (absolute pressure ~10,000 pa), you're looking at two devices to have a calibration error of less than 0.1% to read consistantly within 10m of each other. They are different brands with different algorithms, calibrated in different facilities and in different locations on your body (one on your hand, the other in your helmet).

If what you say is true and consistant (which I imagine it is), then what your describing might make sense with those two devices. Although that doesn't necessarily mean a 2nd optima/neptune combination would display the same behavior.

I also agree that you should be able to adjust your swoop to account for a small altitude difference... even from my relatively low turn altitude of 400 feet (for 270) I find that temperature, wind, up/down drafts, and my own inconsistancies in the turn can be the difference between a perfect swoop and planing out 80 feet too high if I go exactly on the beep and don't do anything to adjust mid-turn.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."