pope

another riser length question

I jump my velo 96 loaded at about 2.1:1 with 22" risers. I Have been starting a 360 at about 850'. I feel like I'm not getting all the power I could out of the swoops though, particularly like I'm not diving long enough.
I'm considering getting a new set of [longer] risers to help me stay in the dive, and for those that know, I was wondering how much additional dive (in vertical feet) would you expect to get from a 2 inch riser length increase?

any thoughts?

cheers!
pope

find me at the DZ next weekend

and pay attention to stu...cause I gave someone a set of 24s to try out and they didn't really listen to the extended recovery arc speech and have a sore tail bone because of it

I love my 24's except when I am 3 miles out and am trying to grab my slider sometimes...

other than that it works really nice for me...finding my rears seems easier for me holding in a dive cause I use the fold from the waist technique while hanging on risers instead of pulling down on them...

heres the trick

try em

see if they are for you

if they aint ditch em

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

If you are flying video all the time like I know you are then you may want to reconsider. You will have to take you hands out of your wings to possibly get your slider. I am taller than you and sometimes have a difficult time of getting my slider on the 24" risers.

As far as dive goes you can change a lot about your technique to build up dive. I bet if you started in really deep brakes and slowed your turn rate down in the beginning, but sped it up in the end that would give you a little more power.

Grant

As far as dive goes you can change a lot about your technique to build up dive. I bet if you started in really deep brakes and slowed your turn rate down in the beginning, but sped it up in the end that would give you a little more power.

disclaimer: start higher if you're going to try this
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I started using 24s on one of my rigs this season. I don't notice that much difference other than in terms of "feel" when reaching for the rears. As far as dive goes, I can manipulate that way more with technique than with 2 inches. My other rig has the same canopy on 22s, and I don't make my turn any lower on it.

Canuck

Grant

you just described my turn to a T

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

And here is my advice: if you like the longer risers, but hate the tremendous reach to your slider, just get your shit relined with with longer lines (by Skyworks or someone else) to achieve the same, desireable, longer recovery arc.

Chuck

FWIW, i jump 22's and i am a pretty short guy.

Yes Chris, you need to stop sucking as soon as possible.:D Love you man.

Peace.

Thanks for the advice Ryan. I don't know if it's possible though...

Grant--I already DO have to unclip 'dat to get to the slider, so what if I have to reach a bit harder. And for the last time, I'm not down with you coming on to me all the time--even AFTER you shaved your manbush!

Stu--you know I will be hunting you down this weekend--your previous suggestion already has helped a ton...

Chuck--great suggestion about the line lengthening...if my lineset wasn't only 25 jumps old, I'd do that!

So second part of the question guys: Given the same turn I'm doing now, approx. how much additional vert. altitude can I expect to add to my initiation point? 100 feet? 300 feet?

cheers all!
pope

So second part of the question guys: Given the same turn I'm doing now, approx. how much additional vert. altitude can I expect to add to my initiation point? 100 feet? 300 feet?

Little to no change...seriously.

edit: About lengthening lines - I had 7 inches added to mine at one point and it made the openings REALLY funky as well as made the shut down a little worse (least it felt that way). It was the lineset I was jumping at the 05 Colorado cpc. Longer risers give better leverage and feel - that's the only reason I prefer them. The flight changes are minimal at best with 2 inches.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

i had a 6 inch longer lineset on my VX and did not dig the flight characteristics and the way rear risers felt...

This weekend i switched to 23 inch risers (from 20's) on my VX and man do i love flying that set up! Feels like a power house and now there is no need for the ring mod (remember it was discussed a few months ago?) I can easily reach everything too. Very little to no altitude changes were made to the initiation point

I added 2 inches to a 103 Velo lineset at one time. I didn't really notice a huge difference. I think you would notice a little difference if you changed the risers but I think you would find more difference out of turn technique. Working with Stu and changing my technique has been very very helpfull. I Just got my 90 relined with 350 technorra and I had stock length put on it. I also have stock length on my 96 velo and 89 jvx that are both for sale.