danvan

Helmets for a beginner

Heya,

I have just had my A licence signed off, and have started looking for my own gear. I am looking to get a helmet, but am confused on which one to choose.

I dropped into Parachutes Australia the other day and the only open-face styles they stock are Hurricane (http://www.parachutesaustralia.com/s2/prod_ss_hurr.php) and Nvertigo (http://www.parachutesaustralia.com/s2/prod_nvert.php) and are pretty expensive at about AU$500 each. I tried these on, and even the XL size was a little too tight for my big head, but apparently they stretch a little.

I have seen a few people around my home dropzone, Sydney Skydivers, wearing surf helmets like GATH (http://www.gathsports.com/). These are a lot cheaper at about AU$120 and are more comfortable, but I'm concerned about how strong they are - they seem a little flimsy and aren't padded very much.

I also found a snowboard shop that stocks SkyCap helmets (by Burton http://www.sickandwrong.co.uk/Snow_RedImpact.htm) that are about the AU$200 mark and are quite comfortable.

So far I'm leaning toward the Gath helmet.

Are there any safety issues using the non-skydiving specific helmets? Are there any other helmets I might not have considered? Any other places I might try helmets on (I want to try before I buy)? How tight and how padded should a helmet be? Any other considerations I might have overlooked?

Thanks for any help!

Daniel V
[email protected]

GATH helmets really aren't very protective IMO. If your sold on an open face helmet then there are several out there to choose from. Pro-tec has been around for a long time and is used widely. There is a retro fit padding kit that can be purchased to make it really protective but I haven't seen anyone outside of the military using the retro fit kit, more than likely due to price. Another thing to consider is does the helmet you buy have an audible altimeter pocket on it? Is it inside or outside of the helmet? Check some of the manufactures web sites or retailers sites for size charts to get an idea of that specific models sizing.I've seen people wearing snowboarding helmets that actually looked better suited for skydiving than some skydiving helmets. Check the classifieds on the this site or at your DZ to see if you can pick one up for less.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Get a protec for your first 50-100 jumps.

Its not the coolest looking thing out there but it will keep your brains where they should be.

Youve just graduated (congrats!) and are on your own now and in my opinion are at a stage in your skydiving career where your still "learning the ropes".

A protec has far more head protection than a gath, for them rough landings, funnelled exits, whacking four ways etc.

And most imortant of all its the CHEAPEST!!B|

I always thought the Gath was a little flimsy as well but I have one as a loaner until i can afford myown helmet and they aren't really all that bad. It stops your head from being scrated or a chunk being taken out on exit and will at least help you a little if being kicked in the head...maybe not a freefly speeds though... Personally i don't really plan on biffing in hard on landing but i guess we have to account for the things that we don't really plan on.

danvan has done a thorough initial analysis.
Like him. I do not trust Gaths to keep me awake for the fire.
I have been wearing ProTecs for the last 8 years. A composite helmet - like a Bonehead G3 would be nice, but I have a hard time justifying the price.
Another thing I never understood was mounting expensive audible altimeters on the outside of helmets.
If my primary reason for wearing a helmet is to keep me awake after tandem riser slap, why would I mount an expensive altimeter where it is guaranteed to get slapped?Maybe someone can explain the logic to that location.

I've come to the same conclusion. I've been looking at composite helmets for three or four years but never found one I liked and didn't break the bank. Protecs aren't kewl but serve the same purpose.

I jumped an Oxygen but couldn't see my chest mount altimeter very well. (yeah yeah but I've been wearing it there since 1980. same alt. II. And I do have a hand mount III.)

I think the deal with the outside mounts is that you can access the data or settings without removing it from the helmet. I never thought much of it either. I have enough trouble hearing some of the audibles without putting them outside. I made a small spandex pouch with velcro straps that wrap around the Protec foam over the ear. This keeps me from dumping it out on the ground but lets me take it out and move it easily.

Make sure you introduce yourself at the symposium. I'll be hanging around registration and the staff room.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I tried these on, and even the XL size was a little too tight for my big head, but apparently they stretch a little.

i know the nvertigo comes in a XXL, i have one (enormous helmet for my vacuous cranium)....

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Bonehead Composite helmets are definitely pricey, but they've got an interesting deal going -- BoneBonds, in increments of US$100. Buy a US$100 Bone Bond now, and it doubles in value to US$200 six months later.

I bought my $100 BoneBond in November, so I can cash it in in May. Going to get a Mindwarp which normally retails around US$180. It's a pretty good deal if you can stand waiting for six months!

Here's the info:

http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/2002/BoneBonds.htm

-P
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)