rhys

RDS Malfunctions?

Hi all,

I am ordering a RDS and I do undertand how they work. I am just wondering what added malfunctions are possible with a RDS compared to a stock slider and attched pilot chute and bag.

Does that extra line to the D-bag pose any more threat?

thanks,

Rhys
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

don't worry about the bag, leave it on top. it isn't worth the extra hassle.

the only time I ever take the bag off is when I am competing. and yes, there is an increased risk of malfunction or even just some line burn.

find someone who has one and let them show you how to pack it.

Agreed, Have someone show you how to pack it, and more importantly, how NOT to pack it. Hooking up the slider incorrectly, or misrouting the lanyard would seem to be the easiest ways of causing a malfunction. Develop good discipline in your packing routine and the risk greatly decreases.
Watch out for planters.

I found that i had to pay extra-extra, as opposed to JUST extra :) attention to the ring placement with X-cabled RDS slider on JVX. The cables seem to stiffen up the slider and make it harder to ensure proper quartering and correct placement in the pack job. (On JVX only, on VX it seemed to have worked just fine)

aren't you getting a JVX? If you are ordering one of those RDS sliders with X cable release, see if they can make it modified with a soft X made of spectra line center with cables on the end.

P.S. I also dont take the D-bag off, because I do not compete. I tried it a few times and found that the extra performance is not worth the headache of dealing with removable D-bag

don't worry about the bag, leave it on top. it isn't worth the extra hassle.

the only time I ever take the bag off is when I am competing. and yes, there is an increased risk of malfunction or even just some line burn.

find someone who has one and let them show you how to pack it.

Mark and Al are both right on the money. While I remove my slider every single skydive, I only attach my RDS lines when I am doing hop and pop full-on training jumps or competing (which is rare these days). There are many, many benefits to removing your slider (visibility is one, wasting less time dicking with your slider stowing another), but the added hassle of jumping your RDS in "full" mode on routine skydives where you are going to run into traffic in the pattern is simply not worth it. I used to jump my full system all the time when I was doing AFF and pulling high every jump, but I would never consider it on any of the belly RW jumps I organize here at Z-hills.

I have been jumping them since they were invented, as have many other posters here in this forum. You can trust that we are all speaking the gospel.

Chuck

I belive that user name Chachi had 2 mals with one of Mels systems, but I am unaware of what exactly was the cause of the problem. His mals were close together in jump #'s, and IIRC, the slider would hang up in some fashion on he way down, causing line twists.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

>Rhys is in Tanzania. There aren't many folk jumping removable sliders on high-performance canopies in that part of the world.

:D True Dat!

I only really bought the RDS to compliment my JVX so soon as i have some cash now and not much to do with it.

I will only remove the slider for now. I will be at Johannesburg Skydiving club for training in a couple of months so I will talk to some creatures there. they have a pond so i'm sure there will be a couple of cats with RDS's?

Thnks for the knowledge (and test jumps) guys.

my JVX will be flying towards me at 700+kmph in 2 days, in the hands of my friend.

its like xmas as a child!;)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Hi all,

I am ordering a RDS and I do undertand how they work. I am just wondering what added malfunctions are possible with a RDS compared to a stock slider and attched pilot chute and bag.

Does that extra line to the D-bag pose any more threat?

thanks,

Rhys

I did not have anyone to show me how to pack up the full rds. I went by skymonkeyone's excellent description - search and you should be able to find. in fact, on the first jump with mels removable slider I hooked up the full system - that was a rush, but I trusted the openings on my VX. I don't have that same comfort level with my JVX (yet)...

rm

i thought i would clear things up on this.

originally when i ordered my VX from simon at icarus i made a deal with him to include a rds system in the price. simon agreed but told me it would be a few weeks until he could have it shipped as he knew that mel was away.

simon then began ducking my calls and turning into the sales rep i had heard about.

i proceeded to contact other dealers and ended up talking with nick in california. nick was amazing and got some action going but some how this slider got out to me. what mistake happened there i don't know.

i am looking forward to my new one arriving soon.

the only problem on the original was the cables were a little too short and the housing for the cables a little too loose which caused the cables to come out during packing. while the slider was coming down a cable got caught over a cascade and held the slider up.

-rob

Ahhhh....another Simon victim.

You actually gonna compete this year with that thing?

Were looking at some unusual venues for this season's CPC.....nothing in stone....but it could be fun.

You should come down and swoop with us......

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....