Peej

How do i start working on hitting gates?

Hey there,

My jump numbers are up to date and at the moment i am doing a combintaion of 90 deg and 180 deg riser turns on final. I will not be going to 270's any time soon, at least not within the next 100 jumps. But i am getting my swoops fairly consistent.

I'd also like to start working towards competing at CP Nationals here in SA next year.

My question is though: how do i start learning to hit gates? I'm afraid of fixating on the gates and pounding in. We don't have a pond here but there are plans afoot to build one.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Hey Peej,

1. Put the gates up.

2. Go for them with plenty of outs.

3. Be ready to bail if you can't make it work.

Swooping is a bit like shooting. You don't learn from the perfect shots. They build confidence and inspire you to continue. You learn from the misses. Each time you miss, you must know why. If you don't understand why, you will not learn.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Tonto's post pretty much sums it up, IMO.

A common mistake is to want to turn over the top of the gates. This often leads the pilot to drive themselves down lower, and harder, than they should resulting in either a bail to toggles or a less efficient swoop. Make sure you set your initiation point far further back from the gate than you think it should be and slowly shorten it up.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Hey PJ good to hear you pursuing canopy piloting! if memory serves correct Jim Slaton at canopypiloting.com is offering free cyber-coaching in the forums sections. I think this might a good place to get more advice on top of the excellent information you have already received. Take care and drop me a line....:)

How about using pool noodles first as training gates? Then use proper gates when technique is there. I've seen this done at a couple DZs, quite a cheap way to mark out your swoop lane too.

Eh, mixed emotions on that. They're not bad but they're low. To stack them two high and have them straight you've got to have a pole in them. They also don't help with wind direction, which is paramount in setting up a good swoop (using the drift of the wind to help push you right into the perfect altitude and approach for the gate). Such as crosswind setups, downwind, etc. Sure he won't be doing that yet, but its something that is on the horizon, might as well get him used to looking at wind indicators.

I've used the "swoop noodles" and I've used real 10' gates, I really think the swoop noodles are crap for learning, but can be used inventively by a swooper for a fun afternoon.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I really think the swoop noodles are crap for learning

I still train on them, and Travis Stewart trained on the 10's at our DZ all season and did just fine. I see no problem with them.

Put up a wind indicator nearby and use that.

Blues,
Ian

Dave,

We used them cause it was the cheapest option for us. Getting a course of blades is pretty pricey, not all comps are run on blades anyway and when a blade grabs the end cell it's normally uglier than a noodle strike :)
Blues,
Ian

Every time I've snagged an end cell on a gate I haven't really had that big of a problem (besides penalities on the speed runs). I can feel the bump through the canopy so I know I bumped one, but the canopy keeps flying no problem. After that picture I brought the canopy back up over my head and landed no problem.

Maybe its due to the size of the canopies I've been jumping or maybe its due to the blade design? The one time I hit a swoop noodle it wasn't as clean.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Every time I've snagged an end cell on a gate I haven't really had that big of a problem (besides penalities on the speed runs). I can feel the bump through the canopy so I know I bumped one, but the canopy keeps flying no problem. After that picture I brought the canopy back up over my head and landed no problem.

Maybe its due to the size of the canopies I've been jumping or maybe its due to the blade design? The one time I hit a swoop noodle it wasn't as clean.

I didn't have as much luck when my end-cell snagged the 10' entry flags on this practice run. Of course this chow was all my fault as not only did I enter the speed carving course too close to the inside gates, I was also practicing making 5 footers on a 10 foot course. For a split second after I entered the course I thought I got away with it, but before I could think too much I was chowing hard into the pond.

If I may add to the excellent advice that both Tonto and Ian have given Peej about learning to run gates, I would also like to add that it's best to learn this ever so not so easy skill of running gates in practice first before you attempt to run gates in the high stress realm of competition.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I didn't have as much luck when my end-cell snagged the 10' entry flags on this practice run.

DUDE! OUCH!

[repl]I would also like to add that it's best to learn this ever so not so easy skill of running gates in practice first before you attempt to run gates in the high stress realm of competition.

Yeah that's kind of the reason that i decided not to enter intermediate swoop at nationals this year. i was encouraged by a few senior pilots but after watching an experienced dude get fixated and slam into the ground, i pulled out. That's the mean reason i ask now so i can start doing some practice in time for next year.

Thanks for the advice Canuck! :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky