CanopyPiloting

CPC CHAMPIONSHIPS updates...

News from www.canopypiloting.com

The 2006 CPC Championships are almost here!

Who are the best amatuer canopy pilots in the world? In just a few short weeks the 2006 CPC championships will take place at the Mile Hi Swoop Park outside Denver, Colorado...

Schedule of Events

Thursday Aug 17, 2006

Registration

$150 plus jumps

Official practice

Friday Aug 18, 2006

10:00am Speed event (three rounds)

Saturday Aug 19, 2006

10:00am Accuracy event (three rounds)

Distance Event (three rounds)

AWARD CEREMONY (sunset)

Sunday Aug 20, 2006

Weather day (if needed)

What's on the line?

The Canopy Piloting Circuit will issue Pro Swooping Tour "pro" slots to the top ten finishers at this years championship competition. The CPC will also award $5,000 in cash to the top three overall winners, custom trophies and advanced rookie slots for entry into future Pro/Am competitions...

1st place $2,500

2nd place $1,700

3rd place $800

Handicap system

This handicap system was created to allow both rookie and advanced pilots to compete against each other in a safe and fair playing field. The CPC will utilize the hadicap system during the 2006 CPC championships.

Details: There are two entry gates set up simultaneously for each course. One gate is 5’ and the other one is 10’. The 5’ gates are the handicap. Rookies must score the ten foot gates and "advanced" pilots must score the five foot gates.

Speed event

The speed event will be a 220ft straight course.

The competitor must score the entry gate and then remain within the boundaries of the course as defined by the markers to obtain a score. A vertical extension on any gate of the course will result in the maximum penalty.

The time starts when any part of the competitor’s body or equipment breaks or passes through the imaginary plane between the two markers forming the entry gate. When an electronic timing system is used the time starts when any part of the competitor’s body or equipment breaks the beam across the top of the entry gate. The time stops when the competitor passes between the two markers that form the exit gate or breaks the timing beam that joins the top of the two markers. There is no penalty for landing before the end of the course, however the competitor must keep the canopy flying over his head (kited) as he passes through the exit gate to receive a time.

Distance event

The distance event will be a 500ft straight course.

The competitor must score the entry gate then remain within the boundaries of the course as defined by the markers to obtain a score. After scoring the entry gate there is no penalty for vertical extensions. The first point of contact with the surface, within the course, is marked as the distance.

If the first point of contact with the surface is outside the course, the competitor will receive a score of 0 meters for that round.

Accuracy event

The competitor must score the entry gate, then remain within the boundaries of the course as defined by the course markers to obtain a score. After scoring the entry gate there is no penalty for vertical extensions.

The competitor’s score for a round is the sum of the gate points, scoring zone points, and penalty zone points.

The competitor earns gate points for each gate when he drags any part of his body through the imaginary line running across the surface of the water between the markers of that gate.

The scoring zones have the following points:

Zone 1 = 9 points

Zone 2 = 16 points

Zone 3 = 24 points

Zone 4 = 31 points

Zone 5 = 40 points

The penalty zones have the following points:

Zone 6 = -10 points

Zone 7 = -25 points

Zone 8 = -40 points

If the competitor fails to make a stand up landing, a penalty of 10 points will be deducted from the total earned points for that round. If the competitor has earned gate and scoring zone points but comes to a complete stop within a penalty zone, the point value of that penalty zone will be the penalty points earned by the competitor.

If the competitor stops outside the scoring and penalty zones the score for the round will be zero (0) points. If the competitor’s first point of contact with the surface, other than the water, is within zone 0 or a penalty zone, the score for that round is 0 points.

Qualification & membership
To qualify for the 2006 CPC Championships pilots must have competed in at least three regional competitions. Pilots must have their name submitted by their district organizer to the CPC HQ prior to the championship event.

Pilots must have an "active" membership status and paid their annual membership dues prior to the CPC Championships. You can check the status of your membership online at CPC membership

Weight Control System

The CPC Championships will enforce the "weight control system" and have a official weigh in during registration. The weight control system will be enforced during the competition with random weigh checks.

To read more, view the "weight control chart" or see images log onto www.canopypiloting.com

The competitor earns gate points for each gate when he drags any part of his body through the imaginary line running across the surface of the water between the markers of that gate.

Hey Jim does this mean that the competitors will automatically get their water dragging points even if they don't actually drag in the water, or will they only get the water dragging points when they drag through the water gates? Personally I'd like to see it where all competitors need to drag the water. I understand why the points are automatically given when we were swooping over hard ground. But this won't be in the case in CO on the pond.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

trying to keep all the CPC posts in one thread here, Jim

Yes, it is true. The Speed course for the 2006 CPC Championships will be straight. Fastest time wins!

Yes, it is true. Pilots will have to drag the surface of the water through the approach gates (water gates) to earn points just like the PST.

Yes, it is true. The CPC will award $5,000 in cash and glass trophies to the top three finishers.

Yes, it is true. "Advanced" pilots will have a 5ft gate (handicap) against the "rookie" (all new comers) pilots at the championships.

Yes, it is true. The CPC will award ten "pro" slots to the top ten finishers at the 2006 CPC championships.

Yes, it is true. The CPC will award four "advanced" slots to the 11th through 15th finishers of the championships.

Yes, it is true. The CPC will award a new pair of custom Swoop shorts from Liquid Sky Sports at the event.

Yes, it is true. The CPC championships will include inflatable courses and electronic timing system.

Yes, it is true.

Yes, it is true. The Speed course for the 2006 CPC Championships will be straight. Fastest time wins!

This is disappointing. Speed carve was the most challenging event at last year's championships and I have been practicing it all year.

I don't see how a straight speed course will be any different than a distance course. We might as well just have 6 rounds of distance.

Distance and Speed require two totally different Strategies. As you become a pro many things become clear on the tour. One of which is that it doesn't matter how far you swoop in the speed course but how fast you can go in 220ft.

This reality may change such tradegy like flying a smaller canopy at higher loading to get faster time in 220ft course. Distance is about being efficent and flying as far down the course as you can which usually requires a slightly larger wing at a slightly lower loading.

Yes, for the unprepared there seems to be no different between a straight speed course and a distance course. More details on this topic should be discussed on the forums at www.canopypiloting.com

trying to keep all the CPC posts in one thread here, Jim

Yes, it is true. Pilots will have to drag the surface of the water through the approach gates (water gates) to earn points just like the PST.

Yes, it is true. The CPC will award $5,000 in cash and glass trophies to the top three finishers.

Yes, it is true. "Advanced" pilots will have a 5ft gate (handicap) against the "rookie" (all new comers) pilots at the championships.

Yes, it is true. The CPC will award ten "pro" slots to the top ten finishers at the 2006 CPC championships.

Yes, it is true. The CPC will award four "advanced" slots to the 11th through 15th finishers of the championships.

Yes, it is true. The CPC will award a new pair of custom Swoop shorts from Liquid Sky Sports at the event.

Yes, it is true. The CPC championships will include inflatable courses and electronic timing system.

Yes, it is true.

Sorry, we will try to keep the different topics in the same thread but realize most of the PST/CPC/WSA staff use the same username "canopypiloting" not just Jim.

Carissa

At the briefing before last year's championships Jim told us that the purpose of the speed carve course was to teach us awareness of our canopy. Flying through a carving course requires you to know where your canopy is to avoid hitting the blade markers. Especially at high speeds, when you need to tip over the wing more, it becomes important to choose a good line through the course and stay near the tops of the gates.

All the CPC pilots have been practicing that skill this year because all the CPC regions have been using a carving speed course. Why now, at the championships of all times, would you eliminate this event and make it easier for someone with a smaller skill set to win?

This might not be an issue at the CPC Champsionships since Jim has an electronic timing system which will be used on the speed courses. But we (the NW CPC District) ran into an issue this last weekend on how to score the straight line speed course and that was how could we use the video camera to properly calculate the times. On a carving course, a camera can be setup to video the competitor entering and exiting the course. But on the straight line course, it wasn't so obvious as to when the competitor was entering and exiting the course. We came up with a compromise and tried to judge each competitor the same. But the technique used was less than ideal and did result in some timed scores being a little higher than they likely were in real life.

All things aside, I have my theories as to why a straight line course will be used at the CPC Championships and it has a lot to do with yourself and myself having to run the 5 footers while everyone else will be on 10s and just making things easier for the organizers not having to dick around with different course setups. But I could be wrong ...

All things aside, I have my theories as to why a straight line course will be used at the CPC Championships and it has a lot to do with yourself and myself having to run the 5 footers while everyone else will be on 10s and just making things easier for the organizers not having to dick around with different course setups. But I could be wrong ...

actually. i will bet you a jump ticket it is for the spectators and your going to have to drag water.;)

also, your going to have to get used to suprises, and being flexible.

At the briefing before last year's championships Jim told us that the purpose of the speed carve course was to teach us awareness of our canopy. Flying through a carving course requires you to know where your canopy is to avoid hitting the blade markers. Especially at high speeds, when you need to tip over the wing more, it becomes important to choose a good line through the course and stay near the tops of the gates.

All the CPC pilots have been practicing that skill this year because all the CPC regions have been using a carving speed course. Why now, at the championships of all times, would you eliminate this event and make it easier for someone with a smaller skill set to win?

you really should practice zone acc. that is where your going to make money!B|

since you will have a JVX for this event. i wouldnt worry too much!:P you will be fast!:)

since you will have a JVX for this event. i wouldnt worry too much! you will be fast!

Not sure if this was directed at Dan or myself. But I can tell you from personal experience that just because I'm jumping a JVX doesn't automatically make me fast. It's still comes down to the pilot and their turn technique. After this weekends NW CPC comp, most of the competitors (and friends) got together afterwards and watched video of our jumps and when possible Stu would critic our techniques. The message I was getting from Stu was that I was starting my turns too high and because of this my turn rate was too slow and I was losing a lot of speed and was no where close to my powerband. After watching the video, I couldn't argue with Stu because you could totally see myself slowing down at the end of my turn and my decent into the gates. But of course I was starting high this last weekend because I came close to pancaking myself down in CO the weekend before and guys like Jim were telling me to turn higher. Obviously what works at sea level doesn't automatically work at altitude and visa-versa.

So it's the pilot, not the wing which is the biggest influencing factor in how we do up there. I hope I can sort out my issues before the CPC Championships as I'm just not consistent this season and just haven't be consistent with finding my powerband on my JVX. But if I don't perform well, it's all okay. Losing my "Advanced" status will only save me money next season as I won't need to worry about spending money getting to all the different swoop comps.

This shit (competitive swooping) is fun. But it sure isn't safe and it's not easy (or at least it's not easy for mortals like myself).

On a carving course, a camera can be setup to video the competitor entering and exiting the course. But on the straight line course, it wasn't so obvious as to when the competitor was entering and exiting the course. We came up with a compromise and tried to judge each competitor the same. But the technique used was less than ideal and did result in some timed scores being a little higher than they likely were in real life.

I'm fairly sure Jim has the ability to jam sync the timecode between two different cameras...but I could be wrong.
pope

Actually, if he does it like it's supposed to be done, then the camera angle will be fine. So long as the two entrance gates align and the two exit gates align, the camera angle will be fine. The course is setup so that the fixed distance is measured on the centerline of the course. The markers are setup afterward with a long line or tape from the focal point.

Like this:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
-------------------------------------->
o . . . . . . . . . "o" = dummy gate strictly for setup

x (camera focal point)

You can have a "dummy" line-up gate straight across from the first "timed" gate as reference just to make it an easier sight reference for setup, but the timed gates are the ones that line straight up with the camera. If you are using that electric horn system, then you would also then line the sensors up with the actual markers which the camera is filming. Ultimately, though, if the camera system is just redundant to the electronic system, then it doesn't matter if the sensor system is setup perpendicular and the camera system is setup as I represented above so long as both measure the full timed distance.

Chuck

my name is tom dellibac from the southeast . i just got back from the king of swoop it was a blast. if you want to get your pro card you need to be able to do every type of course. we had five rounds every round the course was changed and some times you didn't see the course untill you got out of the plane. we did straight distance carving distance, straight and carving speed, straight and carving accuracy and s carving distance. it should not matter what the course is just go swoop it and have fun. i will see everybody at the championships.B|

Your method of scoring doesn't really solve the problem. Those who hug the inside gates will have a shorter distance to travel. When the difference between first and second is often less than a tenth of a second this can make a big difference.

The same problem exists for the carving course but at least in that case you can't hug the inside gates or else you will clip the blade markers with your lines.

This might not be an issue at the CPC Champsionships since Jim has an electronic timing system which will be used on the speed courses. But we (the NW CPC District) ran into an issue this last weekend on how to score the straight line speed course and that was how could we use the video camera to properly calculate the times. On a carving course, a camera can be setup to video the competitor entering and exiting the course. But on the straight line course, it wasn't so obvious as to when the competitor was entering and exiting the course. We came up with a compromise and tried to judge each competitor the same. But the technique used was less than ideal and did result in some timed scores being a little higher than they likely were in real life.

The entry and exit gates are set up different with the straight speed course. This is the reason you had the problems scoring the straight course in the NW district last weekend. If you have any problems setting up courses, rules or judging you should contact the CPC directly or go directly to the FORUMS AT CANOPYPILOTING.COM

I would like to say a few things on the speed course.

I am with raymod2 on this one.

I have spend quite some time and a considerable amount of money praticing this course in order to produce some competitive times, being that I do not fly a heavily loaded X-braced canopy. The kind of canopy piloting that was designed to be flown within the confines of the CPC. The CPC was designed to assist up and coming pilots learn the skill sets needed to become a competitive swooper, and perhaps someday, become a PST swooper.

With that all said, I am dumbfounded by the straight speed course at the championships. Several reasons. First and foremost, why the hell would you change the damn design of the course after a whole season of practicing a COMPLETLY different course? I cannot tell you how DAMN irritating this is.

Secondly, you have taken the 2nd most difficuly part of the event and changed it into a "how much lead can I put on in order to win" event. Being this is the CPC, that is a stupid and dangerous road to take.....and some no doubt will be heading down it.....starting at this event. LAME! I cannot believe that this will be the new course when the whole CPC idealism was to teach safe swooping. Now instead of having that are praticed and competent on a specific course, some might be changing thier tactics at the last second to be competitive. This is not a good example to be set.

Thirdly, the success I have been having in my swooping that the CPC events have been pretty much reduced to a mere waste of time. If I wanted to become competitive in a straight event, I would have comtemplated wearing lead for this event. As a new competive pilot, I did not want to put on lead on top of focusing on gates. I would have started adding lead halfway thru the season if I would have known this was going to be the case, but I was doing well in the speed event without having to wear lead. All of my clean flying in the speed course that helped me get the scores I received is a moot point now. Thanks.

I really don't understand the way you set up the rules Jim, but for the love of god......is it so much to ask that we know what we will be up against at the beginning of the season....and NOT JUST WEEKS BEFORE?

>:(

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

I would like to say a few things on the speed course.

You tell him Tiger. B|

First and foremost, why the hell would you change the damn design of the course after a whole season of practicing a COMPLETLY different course? I cannot tell you how DAMN irritating this is.

What? Didn't you get the memo about the wing-over, cowboy, switch-blade, ghostrider, lazy-boy zone accuracy round? You haven't been practicing this trick?

Thirdly, the success I have been having in my swooping that the CPC events have been pretty much reduced to a mere waste of time.

No it hasn't. Not only should you have proven something to yourself, but you've proved something else to all those nay sayers (myself included) who said you couldn't win without a cross-braced canopy. I understand your beef. But the CPC is ever changing and ever evolving. This is only the beginning. Wing-over, cowboy, switch-blade, ghostrider, lazy-boy zone accuracy round to be followed by a Boomerang, Miracle-Man, Nac-nac, Splice trick in the 2nd round of zone accuracy. You better start practicing your tricks. The pond is less than three weeks away.