UKFSChick

Katana q

Not entering a pissing contest here. But 135 vs 120 i,d say 15 ft2 smaller canopy is obviously going to be more aggressive,hence blowing your 135 out of the water.

I've jumped both canopies as well, and I too give the nod to the Katana as being a higher performace canopy then the x-fire.

The x-fire is good, the Katana is better (if you want to go fast).

I just sold my Katana 107 and have to say from day one when I got it from PD it opened what I would consider horribly. I downsized from a Jedei 120. I never owned a Stilleto but the Katana was always unpredictable. 200 jumps later purchased a velo 103 and and of the 30 jumps I have on it the opening have been 100 times better. I wish I had not wasted the time and money on the Katana and just bought my Velo. Seems like PD has had some problems with the Katana hence the hma line set on all the new ones etc. Is the Katana good canopy sure it is but if I had to do it over again I would rather have gotten a velo or at least given xf2, mamba or even that neo looks interesting if its ready for resale. Hopefully I did not muddy the waters too bad B|

Not entering a pissing contest here. But 135 vs 120 i,d say 15 ft2 smaller canopy is obviously going to be more aggressive,hence blowing your 135 out of the water.

My comparison was the KA 150 vs. XF2 149. So even with an extra sq ft the KA still blew it out of the water.

have you flown a xf1?;)

I got quite a few jumps on a XF1. never had a problem.

mine was one of the first ones, "post recall" made in spain.

there was no way in hell you would ever get that thing to collapse. and the front riser pressure was intense. then ones that would collapse, had light front riser pressure, I got to put a few jumps under one of those also. didnt fly ANYTHING like mine did.

If you ever get a chance to jump a vx, that is how my xf1 flew.

there isnt a non crossbraced canopy out "that i have jumped" that would come anywhere close to it.

I have not jumped a katana though.

but the xf2, doesnt seem to come close to my xf1.

If you ever get a chance to jump a vx, that is how my xf1 flew.

I've been putting a good handful of jumps on a VX 114 lately, so I guess that's the closest I'll get to a XF1 as of right now.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've been putting a good handful of jumps on a VX 114 lately, so I guess that's the closest I'll get to a XF1 as of right now.

I went from my XF2-139 to a VX-114, and loved it. I'm getting a Neos 119 to try out in the next couple of weeks, and I'll let y'all know how I think they all compare...Oh, and I've had nothing but the best serivce and support from Icarus, including 30 minute International phone-calls to discuss my options, and the design of their canopies...B|
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

All I want is soft, reliable openings and nice, soft landings...

The why not stick with the Sabre2, or demo a Pilot? I purchased a Pilot for on-heading openings when doing bigways. I expected a real dog, since I had been jumping my Katana, and a Stiletto before that. but was pleasantly surprised by the Pilot's flight characteristics. I've never jumped a Sabre2.

Good idea. Do you know how the Spectre landings compare with a Stiletto?

It's a different feel.

The Spectre takes a lot more control input to level it out. If you're used to the Stiletto's control sensitivity you might not like it at first. It is a more versatile canopy - it'll sink, is less likely to have opening problems on wing suit jumps, dives steeper than the stiletto.

Just want to agree with dave here. I have a couple hundred jumps on my Crossfire 2-139 and had an oppertunity to put 4-5 jumps on a Katana-120 and besides the downsize the canopy was MUCH more agressive than the crossfire.

Derrick, why don't you ask Stein to jump his Crossfire 119 and then report back here?

All I want is soft, reliable openings and nice, soft landings...

The why not stick with the Sabre2, or demo a Pilot? I purchased a Pilot for on-heading openings when doing bigways. I expected a real dog, since I had been jumping my Katana, and a Stiletto before that. but was pleasantly surprised by the Pilot's flight characteristics. I've never jumped a Sabre2.

I agree with you. I have a few jumps on a KA-135, and the openings have been absolutely perfect. However it's VERY high performance, at least loaded 2:1, I don't know it's characteristics under lighter loadings, but imagine it's still pretty aggressive and unforgiving.

I put a few jumps under a Pilot 170 a while back, and it opened and landed great, slightly better than the Sabre2 (even though I'm a PD fan).

I've got ~275 jumps on a Sabre2 190. Again, good openings, but tended to dive on opening a little bit more than the above Pilot. Great landings, more responsive, and slightly more aggressive than the smaller Pilot.

As Ian said, the Katana isn't for everyone. I thought I was ready for it - until I jumped one. I've put a few jumps on a Stiletto 135, and the difference between it and a Katana 135 is amazing. You really can't even compare the two... [:/]

Just my 2cents. :)
Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

I prefer the landing and flight handling characteristics of a Stiletto over the Sabre 2, just not the twist / 'spinetto' potential. I have been told thicker lines can = smoother / better openings but have yet to try... Prefer to stick with PD :)

Then you would be going the wrong direction by going with a Katana. Especially if you are not swooping and just want nice openings and soft landings and no added excitment. I think, having jumped all the PD canopies, that to get what you are looking for, you would want a slightly higher wingloading on the Spectre if you want similar flight characteristics as a less loaded Stiletto with better, more consistant openings.

Just want to agree with dave here. I have a couple hundred jumps on my Crossfire 2-139 and had an oppertunity to put 4-5 jumps on a Katana-120 and besides the downsize the canopy was MUCH more agressive than the crossfire.

Derrick, why don't you ask Stein to jump his Crossfire 119 and then report back here?

Maybe I will do just that.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka