Sonicfreefly

Icarus NEOS

I believe the concept came from advanced wind tunnel testing Icarus was involved with. They found the bracing in the outer cells was not as much as a benefiet as some would have thought.

My Neos should be here this week so I will gladly post my thoughts after I have the chance to put a few jumps on it.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

The word I heard is that the NEOS is not actually an Icarus canopy. It is being produced by the company in Spain that manufacturs Icarus canopies for NZ Aerosports. It was not designed by the same person that designed the Icarus line...in fact, he refused to allow the Icarus label to be put on it. I don't know if that's true, but if you look at the pictures of the NEOS, the side labels don't say "Icarus NEOS". They just say "NEOS".

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

I've done 5 jumps on a Neos 98. I usually jump a Velocity 111. The 98 was a bit fast for me at this time. I'd really like to try their next size up form the 98. I will say that it does perform. It opens very much like a Crossfire 2, very smooth and predictable. You don't really need to pack it as carefully as you do most x-braced canopies.
It was not an easy canopy for me to land with a straight-in approach, but very nice when I built up some speed with it.
From what I've been told, this canopy is available now. Icarus just isn't pushing it yet.

I had a chance to put 7 jumps on a Neos-104 this weekend.

i was very happy with:
Its awesome Crossfire2-like openings. Soft, on-heading and very predictable.
Its very light front riser pressure, also similar to X-fire2.
Its turns, which were much like a Velo - crisp and fast.

I was left indifferent to:
The way it dives and recovers, which is much like a Velo, and not like a VX. I started my turns 100 feet higher then on my VX. This of course is a personal preference.

I was left unhappy with:
The way the canopy didnt like to be forced out of a dive. Neos seemed to lose a lot of energy when rears were applied to help the recovery (sling shot effect), resulting in poor distance performance.

My thoughts:
I think Neos is a great canopy! It has the potential to perform as well (or better) as current X-braced canopies, ONCE the pilot discoveres the proper technique. I havent had a chance to do it, but i am sure others already have or will have soon enough. Due to my lack of jumps and technique on Neos, i didnt get as much distance i get on a slightly lighter loaded VX-111.

My x-braced experience:
750 jumps on VXs (90% on 111 and 10% on 96)
150 on Xaos (120)
50-60 on velocities (120, 111, 103)
Current canopy: VX-111 loaded at about 2.1:1

hey mike,

did you hang on the rears or did you give them a quick plane out jab like you would on a crossfire...

just wondering...

D

edited to fix my premature ejaculation like spelling which was piss poor
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I have about 10 jumps on mine so far.

In air, this is the sickest canopy I have ever jumped. From openings to harness flight to slow flight, this canopy is the best I have flown.

The landings are going to take a bit of getting used to. I am still working on my approach. I have to turn a fair bit higher than my VX. It does feel more velo-ish in its recovery and I am still way used to my VX.

I am very excited about jumping this thing and getting on it.

Johnny
Mike Rome

That's awesome to hear.

I'm excited to see manufacturers coming out with new higher performing products :)
Keep us posted on how you like it as you get it more dialed in.

So far would you say that your distances, etc are comparable to the VX?

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Right now my swoops are longer on my VX, but just from the sheer speed I feel a lot of potential in the Neos. It is SOOOO much faster than my VX in the air. The recovery is a lot different, and that is where my work lies.

Johnny
Mike Rome

Yeah it sounds a little more 'velo like'. That's cool will just take a little time to figure out the powerband.

So other than the bracing and trim changes are there any other changes to the wing over the vx? Line types? Cell structure? Cell height?

Sorry to ask so many questions but what can I say, I'm a canopy geek :)
Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Still has the standard vectran lines (for now...:P)

It has 3 braced cells in the center and 3 standard cells on the outsides. The bracing style is new, as is the nose configuration. The canopy also has the way smaller pressureized and loaded stabilizers.

From the outside video I have the wing looks super clean and is retardedly fast in the sky.

Johnny
Mike Rome

lets do it...especially since sussex lazy packers keep begging me to pack since they cant get permenant staff I think I will be up there this weekend

I have this strange feeling I will be riding my fronts for the whole flight...

D
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

What type of lineset used for NEOS - Vectran or HMA?
Lines are cascaded or not? Thanks

I just got my "baby" Neos 119 last night, and it's got Cascaded Vectran lines. It's also gorgeous! B|

Can't wait to put it through it's paces :)
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

I could be way off, but I'm not sure the NEOS is meant to be Icarus' top dog in terms of a competition canopy. Not to say that people won't be doing some pretty amazing things under them, just not sure if it's meant to supplant the VX. Can anyone comment?
Arizona Drive 4-Way VFS - www.DriveVFS.com

well, nz aerosports doesn´t make the neos and the spanish crowd don´t make the jvx.don´t think the yanks make either (but i´m not 100% on that they may make the neos?)

i would have thought the neos was between the crossfire and vx?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Does anyone (close to the manufacturer or enough jumps on one) know what the wl range for the Neos would be?

More specifically, if I was looking at a Katana 107 at around 1.85, would a similarly sized Neos (109, I guess) be an option to consider as well or is it happier at higher wingloadings?

Not to say that people won't be doing some pretty amazing things under them, just not sure if it's meant to supplant the VX. Can anyone comment?

I cannot personally comment but I can relay what was told to me in a conversation by TJ, who has been flying one here at Summerfest. His feelings are that its a suped up Xfire/katana type wing. And yes, TJ is doing some pretty sick stuff under it, which is why he likes it for freestyle only.My personal inspection of the canopy mirrors TJ's thoughts as it does appear to be similar to a Xfire albeit the addition of the crossbracing to the center cells.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING