blackj

Gloves and rear risers

Does anybody have any suggestions on a glove type/material that would give better grip on rear risers, as I kind of need gloves on one hand for protecting a bad finger. Already had one close call with my hands slipping down the risers instead of actually pulling on them, was pretty lucky I wasn't trying to dig out of anything!!

Already had one close call with my hands slipping down the risers instead of actually pulling on them, was pretty lucky I wasn't trying to dig out of anything!!

Trust me it sucks! I have slipped off of my rears when wearing gloves and it is a scary ass feeling. Luckily i was able to use my toggles and pull it out although just barely.:S

I'll be watching this thread to see what others suggest. I use "Mechanix" gloves when i have to wear gloves, otherwise nothing.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Already had one close call with my hands slipping down the risers instead of actually pulling on them, was pretty lucky I wasn't trying to dig out of anything!!

I thought it was bad form to try to dig on rears, due in part to the much greater chance of inducing a high speed stall. Thought the recomended practice on diging out from a low hook was to abandon the rears (since they are just for getting longer swoops) and use the toggles.

Clarity: I am not talking about the basic coaxing you have to do on a canopy like a velocity to get it out of a dive, I am talking, "oh shit im gonna pound in,..!! pull up!!!" type of digging out.

If there is anyone that could enlighten me on this topic it would be great.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I agree that the neumans are the way to go if you need gloves. The only problems are 1)The tend to loose the tackiness quickly (it can be reapplied) 2)any moisture and they not only loose their tackiness but become very slick.

If you want a glove that gives some protection for your hand/fingers and has grip comparable to your hand a company called Hatch has some tactical gloves that work great.
--------------------------------------------------
"But I'm Just doin what I have to do to survive"-MM

That was kind of my point. I was lucky I was trying to apply the rear in an ideal situation and not trying to correct for anything otherwise it would have bad.

I have tried push out since and am a little more confedent that this might help but a good pair of gloves for the job would do any harm either.

That was kind of my point. I was lucky I was trying to apply the rear in an ideal situation and not trying to correct for anything otherwise it would have bad.

I have tried push out since and am a little more confedent that this might help but a good pair of gloves for the job would do any harm either.

and some rotator cuff exercises as well....mine suck today cause of pressing super hard on the rears on saturday

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Mechanix Gloves.

Wouldnt jump without them. Come in various colors, also good for cleaning your glasses/goggles. Can be found at any Advance Autoparts store. Cost $19.95 - WAY less then Newmans and last much longer.

http://www.mechanix.com/mw05/
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

Already had one close call with my hands slipping down the risers instead of actually pulling on them

And that sentence right there sums up your problem in my opinion. I never pull down on rears. I tug outward, as do the great majority of people I know who use rears in their landing sequence.

Also, as has already been stated, digging on rears is not smart. If you have to dig, you had better just bail to toggles.

Chuck

I thought it was bad form to try to dig on rears, due in part to the much greater chance of inducing a high speed stall. Thought the recomended practice on diging out from a low hook was to abandon the rears (since they are just for getting longer swoops) and use the toggles.

Clarity: I am not talking about the basic coaxing you have to do on a canopy like a velocity to get it out of a dive, I am talking, "oh shit im gonna pound in,..!! pull up!!!" type of digging out.

That emphasis was mine, not the original posters'. I slipped my rears and had to bail to toggles, that is what i was talking about. Just when you think you are coaxing a canopy out of a dive and then having your hands slip, that sucks.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Hi John

I think Eoin has those Neuman tackified gloves if you wanted to try them.

Regarding technique, I prefer to push out on the rears rather than pull down. I also find I get a better grip if I grab the riser at the top (up by the slink).

If you are planning to use rears for your plane out, I would suggest you start flying your full canopy ride on rears (except for your final turn) on every jump until you get used to them. This will get you used to giving input with the rears, give you experience of how the canopy responds to rear riser input, and you will get more comfortable (and find a better grip position) as you increase your "exposure" to rear risers. You will also be able to find them easier when you do need them.

Hope this helps.

Conor

That emphasis was mine, not the original posters'. I slipped my rears and had to bail to toggles, that is what i was talking about. Just when you think you are coaxing a canopy out of a dive and then having your hands slip, that sucks.

Yeah, I know. I liked where you put your emphasis and wanted to continue on that trend. :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka