Bengel

Video: Ground Launch in Switzerland

Hi!
I came up with the thought to advertise the little clip about my first GLs I made this winter ;) . It's on http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3301
or just search "GroundlaunchI".
No, serious. This could maybe be a threat about Groundlaunching low loaded canopies just as my Cayenne 170. I think these types of canopies really close the gap between Paragliding and a highly loaded full elipse, which is hard to start and more difficult (dangerous?!) to fly.
So what do you think, what experience did you make with "big" wings like that?
Best regards Chris
I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous!

The canopy is called Cayenne from Performance Variable. It's a rebuild from the Sabre I, I think. Quite a reliable canopy, in my opinion, though it's called the "Aldi-Canopy" because of the cheap price (Aldi is maybe the equivalent to Wal Mart).
The site is in a region called "Vallis" in Switzerland and in the ski-region "Portes Du Soleil". It's very nice there. If the weather would've been better, I'd done more flights. But I'll surely make up for it in summer!

thanks, im planning to do it myself this winter, with a sabre 170 .. and i was also wondering if using a snowboard would make it really hard, but you didnt see to have much trouble with that :)

Well, if you start only with a sprint and not with a board/skis under your feet, it's easier to balance your canopy (p.e. starting with "crosswind", etc.).
But therefore you have a better acceleration with a board or skis.
The most important thing in my opinion is to lay down your canopy symmetrically in order to inflate every cell at the same time. Then you will surely have a good start.

The most important thing in my opinion is to lay down your canopy symmetrically in order to inflate every cell at the same time.

It's very important for forward feet launching.

I like launch with board becose i can launch with any direct of light wind.
www.speedflying.ru
Mountian Fly School

Nice video.

Curious what kind of harnes set up is that? Looks like you used some generic old harness and quick disconnect links straight to the riser rings.
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

Nice video.

Curious what kind of harnes set up is that? Looks like you used some generic old harness and quick disconnect links straight to the riser rings.

Thanks! Yes, I got that old harness from ebay. It was from an old fashioned round canopy container with a 4-Pin-Release system. Scary! I disconnected the container to get only the "harness" in order to lose weight.
Furthermore I connected the canopy with climbing-carabiners. I taped them because I was a little bit afraid that they could rough up the riser rings. I don't know if this "fear" is justified. Maybe someone with material knowledge can answer this question.

I must say, that the harness was very uncomfortable, especially in the "between-the-legs" region ;). But I found a superlight harness for paragliding somewhere in the www. If someone is interested, I could post it here.

Smart alternative to buying an overpriced GL harness. I was thinking of doing the same exact thing, just didnt know if modern risers would be easy to mount. I think you found a good solution to that. Also the thought of sitting in that harness... Having jumped a few rounds - i know how "comfortable" they are :)

good job!

P.S. oh yeah, and if you post some pics of the rig - that would be cool
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

This harness would be awesome if you have the cash,
check it out,

http://tinyurl.com/8hkqw

And they have carabiners too

http://tinyurl.com/8hkqw

Does anyone know of a cheaper option than this? But the same
sort of thing.

Your landing looked smother with the snowboard too hey.

"If murder and suicide are illegal, then why is it ok to kill yourself and others with cigarettes?????"

www.myspace.com/Hypoxicmusic

In the middle of March we shall begin sale of special harness for GL.

It's include:

- rings on foot grasp.
- pocket for camel bak.
- pockets for radio and GPS.
- pockets for bag in foot grasp.
- standart rings for canopy without cutaway system.

It's very light weight harness.

Price above $200-250
www.speedflying.ru
Mountian Fly School