sgt_ludy

hooking it in...

yeah, it finally happened.
saturday, second jump. wanted to do a 180° front riser turn for landing.
got distracted by another canopy in my peripheral vision. initiated the turn too low / too late. it happened so fast, i clouldn´t even think of giving a quick strong pull on the steering lines.
impacted on my shins, felt a pain in my back, made a front flip and landed on my back. i didn´t want to look at my legs, cause i was pretty sure that i would see some bones sticking out somewhere... but apart of some blood and superficial wounds everything was allright. stood up fast to show everyone that i´m allright (which wasn´t true). after i stopped shaking i went to work on my nightshift. pain got worse, went to hospital. crappy doctors, went to another hospital in vienna where i live. they found out i fractured my spine / vertebrae l4. tomorrow they´ll tell me if i should undertake a surgery or not.

damn, i think i was really lucky. i´m still walking and the pain is no problem. my lesson learned is, that when i´m swooping i have to be focused at least a 100% on my final approach. i should have waited for all the other canopies to land, and than start my swoop. the impact was harder than anything i´ve ever experienced. next week ´ll find out, if someone has taped it by accident...

for me it´s no more jumping till january. but somehow i´m really thankful and happy for this experience and for the lack of much worse injuries...

blue skies!

sgt_ludy

when i´m swooping i have to be focused at least a 100% on my final approach. i should have waited for all the other canopies to land, and than start my swoop.

Glad to hear that you're not hurt as bad as you could have been. For people wanting to learn how to swoop, they really need to dedicate jumps towards canopy control. Get coaching and do tons of high pulls and tons of hop n' pops where traffic is not an issue. Going big on a regular load when you're first learning to swoop is asking for trouble and when you really are going big (flying an ultra high performance wing), going big on regular loads is rolling the dice. I come in so fast nowadays that I have no desire to be swooping the beer line on a regular load. There are just too many unknowns to take the risk. All it takes is one moment of laspe judegment to end yours and someone else's life. Dang ... am I starting to sound like a canopy nazi? I don't mean to be one. But swoopers need to know when to abort their swoop. :)

Hope you heal fast so that you can get airborne again soon.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

when i´m swooping i have to be focused at least a 100% on my final approach. i should have waited for all the other canopies to land, and than start my swoop.

Glad to hear that you're not hurt as bad as you could have been. For people wanting to learn how to swoop, they really need to dedicate jumps towards canopy control. Get coaching and do tons of high pulls and tons of hop n' pops where traffic is not an issue. Going big on a regular load when you're first learning to swoop is asking for trouble and when you really are going big (flying an ultra high performance wing), going big on regular loads is rolling the dice. I come in so fast nowadays that I have no desire to be swooping the beer line on a regular load. There are just too many unknowns to take the risk. All it takes is one moment of laspe judegment to end yours and someone else's life. Dang ... am I starting to sound like a canopy nazi? I don't mean to be one. But swoopers need to know when to abort their swoop. :)

Hope you heal fast so that you can get airborne again soon.

just the other day a great example of this happened to me. I was setting up my usual 180 carving turn and I am coming in right on the beer line which just so happens to be the edge of the tarmack. things started to look a little dicey with the parked planes so I thought about high jacking, looked to my right to see my friend Ryan finishing his 540 right into my landing area, lightened front riser dive steered between two planes planed out and swooped in right behind my friend much to the Tandem students delight.

it was hairy, but thank god all summer my friend matt and I had been doing 13,000 ft hop and pops to work on canopy skills together....all that training taught me how to change my approach by modifying how much input I was giving into the the controls.

the other lesson learned here is of course the when not to swoop lesson, remember not ever landing has to be a swoop, sometimes, we have to know that if things look hairy for a landing we are planning we have to change our plan and maybe even god forbid pull a standard L pattern to land straight in.

Cheers
Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

remember not ever landing has to be a swoop

that somehow just opened my eyes. really, and i just realized, that every jump i ´ve made with this canopy i tried to hook or swoop my landing... time to change some habits...

This was posted by Tonto in another thread a while back:

The Swoop

When setting up the swoop, your state of mind is everything.
One must be empty of everything and one with all. Mindfulness is the goal.

Pulling on risers and looking around is unskilled labour.

The swoop is concieved in your minds eye, and develops in the setup.
The gates are simply the moment of birth, the distance and time the life, and touchdown is death until it is once again reincarnated in your mind in an effort to purge the errors of it's earlier lives. Thousands and thousands of lives will bring enlightenment, and with enlightenment, Nirvana.

My words: don't swoop angry, upset, hungover or otherwise emotional. Don't let the last one go to your head and think you need to top that or show everyone what you know (that's what broke me).

The ground is hard and it doesn't care. (Another Tonto-ism)

Be careful out there.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

my lesson learned is, that when i´m swooping i have to be focused at least a 100% on my final approach. i should have waited for all the other canopies to land, and than start my swoop. the impact was harder than anything i´ve ever experienced. next week ´ll find out, if someone has taped it by accident...

Firstly good job on not dying or getting too seriously hurt although this is more a matter of luck as opposed to any concious effort by you.

Maybe your missing the (or a) point here. Your problem is that you blew your safe initiation altitude and either werent aware of it or didnt care enought to change your plan.

Question 1) Dont you check altitude before you start your hook? If not do so. Obviously when you have decided it time to swoop, then get distracted, then initiate ...you arent going to be at the same height anymore. Time for plan B. (you had one of course didnt you?)

Question 2) (maybe i shouldnt ask this as a question but just suggest it). Do you have any outs?

Question3) Did you see the other canopy before you were to start your swoop or as you were thinking of starting it?

Question 4) I take it you were not used to any of the sight pictures associated with being lower than the required initiation altitude? Nothing set off alarm bells in your mind when you started the turn?

Maybe during your time away from the sport take some time to increase your knowledge because the things i have questioned above arent advanced swooping protocol but i would term basics. Things you should have in check before you start doing HP landings. That and other ietms i havent considered here.

For sure not every landing has to be a swoop, and not every swoop has to be the best swoop...but very importantly...every landing has to be a safe one.

Oh last question. The reason you didnt flare was because....this happened fast or what? How fast is the 180 happening for you on your 160 that you hit the ground without flaring? You ever practice dive recovery exercises? Maybe you are trying something that you shouldnt be trying? Food for thought. Anyways heal fast (and its only some of the winter you will miss)

Get Brian Germaine's book. It will make some cool bed time reading.

Adios Amigos.

ad 1. i do check my altitude before initiating my turn and i did in this case. i didn´t re-check after i noticed the other canopy. and as a big fan of the 7 P´s (Proper Planing and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance) i always have a plan B.

ad 2. what do you mean? outs?

ad 3. had my hands in my loops and just wanted to start my swoop when i noticed it.

ad 4. i noticed that the altitude was lower than what i was used to, but because i used to get a little to high till now, i went for it.

all the things you questioned were not new to me and i´ve read brian germaine´s book more than once.

but in my opinion there is a difference beteween theoretical discussions and practical knowledge. deeds, not words!
it is normal for me in my progression in this sport to get hurt due to mistakes i make because of my lack of experience. it´s just one of many other sports and activities (due to my profession) i make, and like in every other of these activites i now that sooner or later i will get hurt, because this is nature´s way of telling me: you´re not good enough, get better, then try again. this is how i know where i am in my progression and it´s okay for me, as long as i can stand up again after a certain time and continue with my progression. this turn was not suicidal. it certainly was too deep, AND i was an idiot trying it under these circumstances, but i´m convinced that it advanced my progression a lot, much more than a "normal" nice landing would have done.

swooping is dangerous, yes. i´ve been hurt doing things that were less dangerous, but also far more dangerous. so what? learn your lessons, and make it better next time. i´m really astonished about the fuss some people make after an accident like this.

i appreciate your "food for thoughts", although i just know, that this experience made me a better skydiver and a better swooper.

uh, and by the way, rain main: what´s wrong with your profile? you´re loading 2.45 with 200andsome jumps? or you just too lazy to change your profile?

nope thats right there was a huge discussion about all that a while ago....

cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Must have missed that one.

Was it this thread, about a guy on a small HP canopy loaded above 2:1 with only 200 odd jumps who managed to put himself in a wheel chair for the rest of his life?
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1125536#1125536

Or this thread, about a guy on a small HP canopy loaded above 2:1 with only 200 odd jumps who managed to put himself in a wheel chair for the rest of his life?
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1124590;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

uh, and by the way, rain main: what´s wrong with your profile? you´re loading 2.45 with 200andsome jumps? or you just too lazy to change your profile?

hell, i only load up to 2.1, unless im doing speed rounds then 2.4-2.6

lol..

hm, great [:/]

i may have only 300 jumps. but from these 300 at least 150 were made in very different conditions. oxygern + lots of stuff hanging in front of me + unknown lz (sometimes in the mountains, sometimes in urban areas) + night and no illumination. when i´m not jumping i´m calculating haho routes or at least preparing lz´s for others. and i´m only at the very beginning. so i know very well the difference between textbook and reality. i accept every opinion, but i will check your profile and make myself an opinion when i know what your background is....

200+ jumps and loading at 2.4... rain_man: don´t suggest i might be doing something i should not when i´m swooping my 160 at 1.5. i know pretty well what i´m doing when i´m in the air... just ask your british sas buddies (really great guys, i like the brits!), what they think about jumping in the alps...;)

try to stay alive.

Based on the fact that he registered on this site in June of this year. The number is probably fairly accurate.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

200+ jumps and loading at 2.4... rain_man: don´t suggest i might be doing something i should not when i´m swooping my 160 at 1.5. i know pretty well what i´m doing when i´m in the air... just ask your british sas buddies (really great guys, i like the brits!), what they think about jumping in the alps...

Ok Rambo. The reason why i posted was because i didnt believe that the lesson you claim you were learning was worth learning like that. I had doubts...gave you the benfit of the doubt and asked questions to back you up..but your answers well...i rest my case.

1) When i mentioned outs ...i meant when you are unable to perform that 180 degree manoevre to face back into wind...did you have a plan on what you were going to do and where you were going to go to land safely? Eg finish off the turn with toggles or something..or just land crosswind after a 90degree turn?

2) You you were below your initiation point but still went for it. In other words...you decided to deliberately hook in just because you've jumped over the alps in the dark or whatever and reckoned it was time to descipline the ground with your rib cage? No matter how much you pride yourself on all your military endeavours..maybe this should tell you not to disrepsect civilian activities. Based on your illustration...military jumping must be easier than fun jumping.

3) All in all...i think there is nothing to learn from this for most normal people). Most hook turns wipe outs are mistakes based in errors in judgement. Yours was a result of taking the obvious then doing something and getting an obvious result. By that i mean a "known low altitude + inappropriate hook turn = HURT" You didnt know that by now? If you say its made you a better jumper then i'll take your word for it. Good for you. Its a lesson you shouldnt be having to learn though. Lack of 1000 jumps is not an excuse.

4)My profile. Well i said you might be doing something that you shouldnt be doing...well Captain. Not wanting to get into a fruitless argument...Dont question my profile because at the end of the day...this weekend I AM SKYDIVING and you are not.

Peace brother ;)

Hey look Mary, the guy made a mistake, he owned up to it, and spread the word to keep others out of trouble.

You really could cjill with the CAPS, BECAUSE THER'S NO REASON TO SHOUT. But as far as your profile goes, if you're going to post, and have that info in your profile, and be critical of thers actions, people are going to look, and people are going to question.

That shit about 'I'm jumping and you're not', thats just wrong. If your profile is correct, you may not be jumping soon as well, so watch yourself. Not to mention whats the deal with the $2000 canopy in the outdated $200 container?

Is there anyone on the other side of the pond who can verify this guys story? Are his jump numbers or his equipment choices bogus? It's got to be one of the two, or god help him when he makes a mistake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Must have missed that one.

Was it this thread, about a guy on a small HP canopy loaded above 2:1 with only 200 odd jumps who managed to put himself in a wheel chair for the rest of his life?
http://www.dropzone.com/...post=1125536#1125536

Or this thread, about a guy on a small HP canopy loaded above 2:1 with only 200 odd jumps who managed to put himself in a wheel chair for the rest of his life?
http://www.dropzone.com/...;;page=unread#unread

No it was this one

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1705559#1705559

Hey look Mary, the guy made a mistake, he owned up to it, and spread the word to keep others out of trouble.

You really could cjill with the CAPS, BECAUSE THER'S NO REASON TO SHOUT. But as far as your profile goes, if you're going to post, and have that info in your profile, and be critical of thers actions, people are going to look, and people are going to question.

That shit about 'I'm jumping and you're not', thats just wrong. If your profile is correct, you may not be jumping soon as well, so watch yourself. Not to mention whats the deal with the $2000 canopy in the outdated $200 container?

Is there anyone on the other side of the pond who can verify this guys story? Are his jump numbers or his equipment choices bogus? It's got to be one of the two, or god help him when he makes a mistake.

He said "Mary". Why not John?

Never mind my typing before it was just some keys being hit at the wrong time and me not fixing it. Its all meant to be small and non bold.

I dont mind people asking me stuff or questioning my critical analysis of others. I dont really care. My profile is not the topic of discussion on this thread so why dont you just pipe down and keep on topic?

I may not be jumping soon afterwards but as of this moment...i am. Thats a worse attitude to have than the "i can beat a hook turn wipe out" attitude? Like Burger King.."Fine have it your way". I dont care. Iv said what iv got to say. You dont have to listen to me.

this weekend I AM SKYDIVING and you are not.

yeah, yeah, may the force be with you or whatever... [:/]
i already said that i appreciated your comments and i answered your questions the best i could, like anyone else´s. your inability to respond without provoking bad feelings is somehow ... disturbing for me.

i got hurt badly doing my "rambo"-jumps (which, in fact, are not more "rambo" than yours in the civilian branch... just another discipline. that´s how i see it), i progressed and i have a certain level now. that´s the way í´m going for swooping now. where´s the problem? i pulled too low, i ate dirt. hey, at least now i know what TOO low means. i don´t just have an idea, i KNOW it.

if you feel personally attecked by whatever i wrote ( and i think you do, just read your answer...), maybe you should ask yourself why.

whatever, have a good time jumping on weekends, paying lots of money. i´ll think of you, as soon as i´ll start "working" again, getting paid for my jumps...no matter how crappy i land :ph34r: