fpmurphy

Springo Vs Velocity

Hey guys!!!!!!!!!! (and gals!!!)

I've been jumping a Springo 160 for years now, and have done loads of jumps on it. It's a great canopy but I've recently decided to change to a Velocity - I'll probably go for either an 120 or 111sqft.

All the swoopers on my DZ have them and they just swoop so much further than my Springo, man! Which size would suit me best?

BLUE SKIES!!!!!!!!!!

Fenton Murphy MIAVI BSc. Hons

Ok,

Go back and take a look at your post. You are wanting to go from a Springo 160 to a velocity. Assuming you get a velo 120 (which is the biggest velo they make) you would be dropping 40' of material from over your head. You would also be changing from 9 cell to a 7cell cross braced canopy. It is generally accepted that it's not the best idea to downsize, and change planforms at the same time. Now I'm going out on a limb here, but are there not extended periods or time in Northern Europe when you can not jump due to weather? A velocity is a canopy that you may not want to go uncurrent on.
So now that you are armed with the knowledge that I have given you, what canopy do you think you should get?

uhhhhhmmmm.........:S is this a joke? Ok, I give, where is the punch line dude. Obviously you haven't done your research on velocities. PD reccomends that you have at least 1,000 skydives on a ram-air canopy before contemplating flying a velo. I would highly suggest that you get a stiletto 150 and fly that for about 400-500 jumps before you even THINK about a velocity. Just a tid bit of info for ya.

Once upon a time, there was this dumbass (me) who wanted to be a swoop maistro. He got a viper 120 (1.8 ppf wing load) when he had 120 jumps, he now has a titanium femur and one hell of a disgusting video to prove why low time jumpers have no business under a high performance canopy, much less an extreme category canopy like the velocity.

I now have 1,800+ jumps with about 1,000 of which being high performance landings. I am flying a velo 120 right now at 2.0 (put on weight after the accident). I get nerved up every time I jump. You may ask why.... the answer is simple. I HAVE A FEAR OF DIEING.

Man, do like the rest of us have. Put in your time and jumps and collect the experience that will come naturally. If you have seen the broken bodies that I have from swooping attempts gone wrong you would seriously not have even posted this. I am not trying to come down hard on you, but dude, you have no business trying to fly a velo with your lack of experience.

I am sure that I am not going to be the only one that jumps all over this thread. It isn't because we are wanting to make you feel stupid. It is because we really don't want to have another statistic that makes a sport that we have all worked very hard for look like a bunch of imbassils.

Think about your future more, and less about trying to be "cool". Skydivers are cool enough, we don't need to try to push the boundaries to the point that we die or get maimed.

Best of luck man, but please don't jump the gun on this one. Take it from someone who did, it isn't worth it.

Sam
Live today as tomorrow may not come

do you actually only have 100 someodd jumps or am I imagining things... how about this, look at my friends incident in the incidents forum and then think about it.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1125536;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

you are sick dude:D frickin SICK!B|

personally, I think that he should just go ahead and try Luigi's vx39.

I am going to my wood shop right now to start making his Whiley Coyote Award:P
Live today as tomorrow may not come

Lots of inappropriate responses here, people; quit it.

To the original poster: you have no business even thinking about a HP canopy, much less a crossbraced one at your experience level. Shame on the person who loans you one to try.

To the others: don't assume "troll" here. This might very well be a person who thinks a large Velo is an appropriate choice (it's not by the way). And again: don't egg the guy on; this is a serious forum.

Keep it clean, fools!:S

Chuck