swoopster33

Colorado CPC Event # 1 Results

The first CPC in the Colorado district went very well. We had 11 competitors and everyone flew very well. It was a very tight race for the top places with the final results as follows:
1st, Grant Adams
2nd, David Billings
3rd, Jason Tolliver
4th, Aubrey Cundall
5th, Jason Russell
6th, Steve Armstrong
7th, Jim Harris
8th, Keith Hansen
9th, Eric Johnson
10th, Chris Pope
11th, Ryan Townsand

I would like to send out a huge thanks to the judges that spent the day with us and thanks to the competitors for such a great event!

Jason T

I would like to send out a huge thanks to the judges that spent the day with us and thanks to the competitors for such a great event!

Next time I judge, I am bringing sun screen. I am burned like you cannot believe. My face matches my red rig. Best part of the day - it appears my sunburn is the only injury... It was an awesome day, and thanks for the Pizza for the judges..... Congrats to everyone who did so good.

Travis

I'm a little bummed that I missed out being in the top five by only one spot. But as a first time rookie swoop competitor, I have to say I had a blast at Colorado's 1st CPC event. There was tons of camaraderie between all competitors with everyone encouraging and helping each other along the way. And while the top two competitors did kick everyone else's butt (good job Spizzarko and Dbsbreck for your #1 and #2 placings respectively), it was a very competitive competition with most people consistently scoring points throughout each of the event's six rounds.

Thanks for the great event Jason and special thanks must go out to all the people and judges who helped make one of Colorado's best swoop comps to date a reality.

One down, four more to go.

PS: Jason, while you don't need to post the result here, it would be cool to see how the competition results were broken down between each round.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I never realized how angry I look while I'm concentrating on my swoop. But a number of pictures like this one were captured of me this weekend with that nasty look on my face.

By the way, there appears to have been a small mistake made in tabulating the final results and we're thinking that you (Eric) finished in 8th place ahead of Keith. Nice come back after struggling with those early rounds.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Saturday's comp was extremely challenging. The conditions were changing all day long, making no two jumps identicle. The day started out with a slight head wind on the distance rounds, so they were not scorring huge distance runs. I think I did just under 300' on my second round. I was having difficulty hitting the gates as cleanly as I wanted in the beginning of the day, so I wasn't getting the distances that I knew I could have gotten, with a clean run. Several of the other competitors were having the same problems, and a few even had some verticles when entering the gates. The strategy that most competitors had was to just fly through the entry gates clean, and a lot of us were stretching to get every last inch out of our swoops.

The zone accuracy came next. This was were the comp get very interesting. I think the zone accuracy was a make or break event. The head wind that we had for the distance rounds had diminished quite a bit, and the temp was rising quickly making the DA go up quite a bit, so shutting the canopy's down was the challenge. The strategy quickly became, to plop down in zone 1 or 2 and use zone 3 for a slide out area and not get any negative points. As I said earlier, this made the accuracy rounds really exciting to watch, and to compete in. Some of the competitors went long into the penalty zones, and lost some points. I only know of one person who flew / slid off the side of the court getting penalty points, and I believe there were a couple of verticle extensions in these rounds, too.

The speed rounds came next. These where also very exciting, and didn't quite turn out as I had expected them to. I figured the person with the smallest canopy would beable to walk away with winning these rounds, but that wasn't quite the case. In these rounds the winds were shifting around quite a bit, but they weren't very strong. The temp was getting pretty warm, and the DA was getting up there, so the conditions felt pretty fast. The strategy that a lot of the competitors were taking into this round was to fly clean through the course and to fly high through the course so as to not hit any of the course markers. Hitting one of the markers gave you a 5 second penalty, and that would have taken you out of the running. I saw a lot of the competitors flying low through the course, and I even did so myself. I only saw one or two course marker strikes though, so it was some clean running for the most part. Those who didn't fly through the course were able to kite their canopys out, with the exception of one competitor. This was a difficult feat to achieve, as there really wasn't much head wind if any, so they were having to run pretty fast to keep those canopy's inflated.

All in all, I was extremely impressed with the level of competition. Nobody got hurt, and there wasn't a lot of digging out of the corner. I think each competitor really learned a lot, I know I did. I think the overall strategy for the comp was to have a clean run each and every time. There were several people who took themselves out of the running by getting a verticle extension, or striking a course marker. There was a marker one hundred feet out from the entry gates, and a lot of competitors were focusing a lot on those instead of focusing on the entry gates. This may have hurt them a little on having clean entry's.

I would have to say the dropzone and the DZO really stepped up to the plate to host this event. Jason Tolliver did an outstanding job of running and setting up the course. The course was nice and visible from the air, and on the ground. It was appearant that there was a lot of time and effort spent in setting the course up. Also the judges did an outstanding job of keeping a close eye on the competitors. I don't think enough kudo's can go to the judges for staying out there all day and getting fried from the horrible UV that we get up here in Colorado.

So if you want to have a great time, come out and compete in the next Colorado CPC.

Nobody got hurt, but I was a little sore the next day. It was just a really FUN event, and the competition was extremely stiff!!! Everyone stepped up to the plate and brought their A game. I can't emphasize how fun the CPC was. I think It would be a great learning event for many other jumpers, and I would like to see more people in it. There were a lot of cross braced canopy's in the event, but one guy came out there with a Katana 120, and gave us cross braced guys a real run for our money. People jumping stilletto's, Sabres, crossfires, katana's, and many other canopy's can be extremely competitive. So don't rule yourself out because of what you fly. It's how you fly that makes the grade.

It was actually a 3-5 KTS quartering cross to head wind from left to right accross the course. The distance rounds could have been a lot longer, but several of us didn't enter the gates very cleanly at first, but we got the hang of it a little later in the day.

Nobody got hurt

My ass hurts, my legs hurt, and my pride was mortally wounded I think. Of course, all injuries are directly related to being an un-current, out of shape slob. Hopefully that won't hold true all season :P
Oh, and I finally got to meet this Spizzzarco guy. If he was just a little bit cooler, he'd be a dick.