SurfFlite

New skyball (deploys load if not caught)

There is a new skyball available that is deisigned to dump the weight if it is not caught. The Vladiball freefall toy is made from very durable plastic and carries #8 or #10 lead shot as it's payload.It is a very simple design that calibrates itself to any DZ's altitude. In a nutshell it has a hermetically sealed chamber that calibrates to any DZ, a "realtime" air chamber that senses pressure at any altitude up to 17,000 ft. and a diaphram that seperates these 2 chambers. This diaphram drives a needle that locks and unlocks the balls payload. The balls are each individually calibarated at the factory in a pressure chamber. They are set to open at 1800 ft +/-200ft. The ball has been
patented.
As of 11/22/02 it is legal to jump at Skydive Arizona, Skydive Dallas and Skydive Archway. It should make skyballs legal at any DZ. The lead shot dissipates and it is harmless to those on the ground and the empty pastic ball assembly weighs about the same as a plastic cup.

I didn't intend on this sounding like a sales ad even though it does, just wanted to let everyone know about this new product. It is definately 1 of the best skydiving inventions to come along a while.
For more info email me or call.
ph:480-288-1557
m:480-250-5289
Kerry

People flying head down fall at 160mph not lead shot that is .020 in diameter. We have stood underneath it and let it "rain" down. We have even let the plastic assembly fall on our heads. It doesn't hurt, take
it from me, one of the crash test dummies.This ball has been in the works for 3 years. It is safe and it works everytime. From 1800ft to the ground the lead shot is pretty sparce. Maybe spread out over a
200-300 yard area.

Keep in mind the objective here is not to let the
ball get away. It just happens to have a deployment device just in case you do not catch the ball.

I would imagine that the amount of lead shot escaping from these skyballs is pale in comparison to the amount of shotgun lead that is skattered around the world. After all each time you fire the gun lead comes out. Unless of course you plan on just tossing the ball out and after you are done with it just letting it open. Same kind of people who rely on their Cypres I guess.

We have already received approval from Larry Hill & Brian Burke at Skydive Arizona. All Larry asked is that we designate a ball drop area and the ball jumpers are 1st out. Trust me, we have tested the shit out of this ball and the falling parts WILL NOT harm those on the ground. There is no way possible that this ball will not function as designed as it operates on a very basic scientific theory.
Kerry

As AirMail suggested, why not just have it deploy a parachute? It seems that Surf Flite has board recovery systems, so why not this? Plus, if this ball just opens up and releases its weight, finding it would still be another issue. I would think a nice bright red chute would be easier to spot when you are out looking for it.

I suppose it flying away under "canopy" would be a problem.. but it just depends on the loading and its deployment altitude... problems that can be solved...

The recovery chute was thought of but the problem is that the ball assembly would be too large and the sales price would exceed $350. Besides the fact that a "drag chute" would still not slow the ball down enough to prevent injury or property damage.

As for the pocket full of lead shot, we have a stow pouch or Vladiball sack. Basically, you catch the ball, put it in your left hand and deploy. After you are under canopy you can place a rubberband around the ball and stow it away in your ballsack or pocket.

There is no way possible that this ball will not function as designed as it operates on a very basic scientific theory.

Kinda like the Cypres, and the FXC, and the ProTrack, and even that simple altimeter you wear on your wrist? Sorry, but to say that this thing is 100% fail safe suggests to me that it hasn't been tested enough. There isn't a mechanical device on this planet that will not fail.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

As AirMail suggested, why not just have it deploy a parachute? It seems that Surf Flite has board recovery systems, so why not this? Plus, if this ball just opens up and releases its weight, finding it would still be another issue. I would think a nice bright red chute would be easier to spot when you are out looking for it.

I suppose it flying away under "canopy" would be a problem.. but it just depends on the loading and its deployment altitude... problems that can be solved...

What if the deployment of the chute fails, then you still have the ball at terminal freefalling towards the ground. It sounds more reliant just leting the lead out. Just a thought

When I stop skydiving is the day that I die!!! Hallur

Yea, your right it is a mechanical device and it could fail. As for tests. We have done lots of tests. I can say that all the test have been successful. We have tried everytime to make it fail, so far no luck. Who knows maybe someday it will fail. I would guess that it would be the result of human error though. If for instance you do not tighten the calibrated chamber enough and it leaks. But if it leaks then the lock device would not be visible at exit time. This final check is part of the "Instruction of Use" that comes with the ball. If the locking device is not in the correct position you should put it in your pocket and abort the ball jump.

Introductory Price $60
Kerry

Sounds like a great product you guys have. Any efforts to demo it to DZOs for approval? This would surely help sales. I would buy one today if I knew that my DZO would allow it. It would seem more convincing to for the people who understand the mechanics of the product to explain it or even demo it for DZO approval.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

We have already received approval from Larry Hill & Brian Burke at Skydive Arizona. All Larry asked is that we designate a ball drop area and the ball jumpers are 1st out.

no jump #/ license requirements? how about a ball master?
ideally you dont lose it, but i can see lots of peeps (like me probably) losing thier shot on the first jump if they dont have qualified assistance..

two years ago we introduced our "space dart" at the pia symposium. it looked like a toy bomb measuring 3" in diameter tapering to an overall length of 8" with 4 tail fins. in the nose was located the weight , then electronics and then a packed 36" parachute. basically it contained a miniature aad and would deploy a tiny parachute if not retrieved.

problem was it was not possible in small quantities to produce them under $500 each. we even worked on a version that would autonomoulsy fly itself back to the dz based on gps coordinates.

we have since found home for our designed electronics and devices in several military products and have shelved our space darts.

the idea of a mechanical design sounds great, and can be produced in a price range to make it desirable. good work guys ;)

sincerely,

dan
atair aerodynamics
www.extremefly.com

Daniel Preston
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Not to mention that lead is not environmentally safe. It tends to kill the animals that eat the shot.

Most hunting shells now a days are lead free, There is a metal called bizmuth that almost weighs as much as lead and has the same characteristics. They could always use this instead and It costs the same also. Also Lead shot doesn't even hurt when it hits you from freefall. I used to do a lot of bird hunting and have had shot fall on me many times whil retreving bird's.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

DUCKEY:
So far it is approved to jump at Skydive Dallas, Skydive Archway and Skydive Arizona (the official home of the Vladiball) These are the only DZ's we have approached so far. Brian Burke among others is writting up an article for Skydiving Magazine and several overseas magazines. There will be pictures and details about its operation in the article.

Everyone at SD AZ are pretty excited about this thing. They bought 5 yesterday for the DZ.

ZENISTER:
Each ball comes with an extensive owners manual and an "Instruction for Use" booklet. Also each customer must provide there skydiving experience prior to the sale.

COBALTDAN:
Tell Stane & Robert hi from Vladimir (he is the inventor of this)
Kerry

Assume the density of sand is roughly 1/8 the density of lead, then to have the same mass, the ball would have to have 8 times the volume, but then its diameter would have to be twice what it is now, which makes it have more drag, so it would actually have to be more than twice the diameter of a lead filled one (argument is for spheres, not cylinders or torpedos....)

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Everyone at SD AZ are pretty excited about this thing. They bought 5 yesterday for the DZ.

(snipped)
Also each customer must provide there skydiving experience prior to the sale.

cool maybe i'll get to play with one when i'm back for the xmas boogie.

what are the requirements for purchase? yeah, i'm pretty excited about the idea too :)