Dannost

Used reserve

Are you going to use it as a reserve or a main? If a reserve has seen use other than as a reserve (ie it has been used as a main), it cannot go back to being used as a reserve. Although I'm not sure how using it for base would affect this rule as base is not governed.
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

>If a reserve has seen use other than as a reserve (ie it has been used as a main), it cannot go back to being used as a reserve.

Says where? As long as a rigger verifys its airworthyness, it can be used as many times as you want then put back into service as a reserve. Granted after that many uses it will be gone over with a fine tooth comb a few times to get certified again.... but its very possible to do that.

Personally I'd stay away from it as a reserve, but thats only since you can't verify the airworthyness of it till a rigger looks at it for a long time and thats going to cost money. By adding cost on to a cheap canopy is suddenly loses some of its barginness.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I would be leery of any canopy that had 15 deployments as a reserve, even more leery if it had been jumped off abridge.
Slider off and slider down deployments can produce brutally hard openings. And since BASE generally involves hanging your toes over the edge of the envelope, you do not have a clear idea of how much abuse this canopy has suffered.
Give this one a pass.

I jump a 'tired' Raven 2 as a main loaded near 1:1.

You jump a Triathalon 190 right? That's a ZP 7 cell. If you want the Raven as a main you'll HATE it because as F-111 it will seem to sink like a stone and have no flare compared to the Tri. Ravens generally open with a BANG! as well.

As a reserve, I'd jump FRESH Raven anyday. ROCK SOLID flight characteristics even with 500 + jumps OK, slow and boring to me now but at 25 jumps it was faster than the Cruiselite student gear ...).

These suckers are strong too. Find one that has NOT been used as a main and know that it will get you down safely. If this thing is THAT cheap buy a set of risers and jump it 'just for fun' PM me if you want to buy mine (new slider, new risers).

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

BPA regs. Can't speak for USPA but I'm condfident that the same would have applied.

You're kidding right?

One of the best things about the USPA in my opinion, is that they're not the BPA. I've seen the rules and regulations that the BPA has, no thank you.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

If its TSO'd thats all the FAA cares about. TSO'd and airworthy acutally. And airworthy is mostly down to the opinion of the rigger. If I was a crw dawg and had lots of chops would you refuse to pack my perfectly airworthy reserve just since its been used a few times?

I'll agree about the best thing about the USPA is it tries to do things different then the Ban Parachuting Association.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>If a reserve has seen use other than as a reserve (ie it has been
> used as a main), it cannot go back to being used as a reserve.

Incorrect. If it passes a rigger's inspection it can be used as a reserve. George Galloway himself stated this in a post a while back.

I still wouldn't be that comfortable jumping a reserve that's been used and abused as a main, then put back into use as a reserve, but that's just me.
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

Find out if it had a tail pocket installed.

Hook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it does have a tail pocket stitched in. Another problem, right? Dan

Right, walk away. Might be worth telling the seller to not sell it as a reserve.

Hook

Well, that might be going too far in the other direction. Nothing wrong with a reserve that's been deployed as a reserve, and treated properly, and inspected.

After all, if you deployed it once, would you repack it in your own rig and then jump it again, or sell it and get a new one?

Just get a reserve that's always been treated like a reserve.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, that might be going too far in the other direction. Nothing wrong with a reserve that's been deployed as a reserve, and treated properly, and inspected.

After all, if you deployed it once, would you repack it in your own rig and then jump it again, or sell it and get a new one?

Just get a reserve that's always been treated like a reserve.

Wendy W.

ISAIAH 40:31

> still wouldn't be that comfortable jumping a reserve that's been
> used and abused as a main, then put back into use as a reserve,
> but that's just me.

No problem; people should use their own judgement on something like this. Personally, the ideal used reserve for me would have only a few repacks and two deployments on it, because then I _know_ it works and it's very close to new. I have at least two reserves that have never been deployed, and although I've inspected them many times, they have never seen the loadings that occur during openings.

It is also worth noting that a reserve that has never been deployed, but repacked 20 times, is 10 times more worn than a reserve that has been repacked and deployed twice. Wear happens during packing, not deployment.