somethinelse

Define: HOOK TURN- Pleez??

Just a side note:
"hook-turn" has such a stigma attached to it, people usually refer to it generally as a "swoop" these days. A hook implies something rather reckless, where as a swoop is or can be something elegant. When someone refers to someone that "hooked-in" they can often mean it was a swoop gone bad. When someone "swooped" it was usually successful. These minor differences in semantics vary from dropzone to dropzone.

-R

I know this seems to be something everybody KNOWS...
...:$But ME!

Please inform me, okay? I'm sure that I've seen it...MAYBE? But never has anybody ever talked it over with me or explained it.

Somebody fill me in and give me the scoop on the hook turn swoop.

:)

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

I asked the same question when I was informed we weren't allowed to do it at a certain location. I was told it was an aggressive turn initiated by either toggle or riser, that, below 200 feet, the generated forces swung the body of the jumper more than 30 degrees from vertical.

Take it with a grain of NaCl.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Hmmm.

VERY WELL PUT. I can understand THAT!

PS
I'm NOT trying anything new OR risky any time in the near future,
TRUST me on that...
BUT-
Can you explain the procedure and factors involved in landing in a swoop?

It'll give me something else to think about
& MAYBE I'll try it too someday
AFTER taking canopy course...!?

Blues!
:)

Can you explain the procedure and factors involved in landing in a swoop?

It'll give me something else to think about
& MAYBE I'll try it too someday
AFTER taking canopy course...!?

Lila, how far do you travel horizonally from when you first flare till you come to a stop? With the student canopies flaring may be like slamming on the brakes, but most people plane out and glide horizonally for a distance before touching down. I don't know at what distance that is considered a swoop, but the best ones can do it for hundreds of feet.

To get that sort of distance, they need to do an aggressive dive to get higher speed than you would just flying in full glide. You've likely seen some diving down in a spiral turn and then flattening out. Hook turn is a swoop where they don't pull out in time, or perhaps where they got lucky and saved it.

No one would use that term to refer to a panicked, low altitude turn, would they? While you don't ever need to swoop, you do want to know when and how you can do course corrections close to touchdown. A lot of those situations are avoidable by planning up higher, but you never know.

the uspa defines it as

HOOK TURN: (jar.) A canopy maneuver that results in a steep dive.

You have lots of experience and such but I think your pushing it when saying that a Hook turn is something that results in injury. Maybe your just trying to make a point to someone who is new. I don't know. Making it sound like if you do a hook turn your going to die seems to be a stretch.

At my DZ Hop'n'pops are sometimes refered to as Hop'n'Hooks.

Even a carving front riser dive is sorta a hook. That and I watch someone do hook turns in the traditional toggle whip sense every week and he isn't dead. (I would bet there are a few other DZs out there too that have people similar who have been doing it so long thats all they do)

I don't know, it just felt like this thread got a little too close to the hook = death mark.

Is the point of not saying front riser dives are hook turns supposed to try and get away from the negative connotation? I would guess that incidents about a messed up front riser 270 are still considred hook turn accidents.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

You have lots of experience and such but I think your pushing it when saying that a Hook turn is something that results in injury. Maybe your just trying to make a point to someone who is new. I don't know. Making it sound like if you do a hook turn your going to die seems to be a stretch.

I don't think you're referring to me (and my vast experience), but I do recall virtually this exact line out of the Survival Series videos- I think the Fly like a Pro one. For consistency it's probably better to follow the USPA definition, but a lot of people use the other one.

As far as I know, and have been led to understand a hook turn is called a hook turn because of the shape of the path of the jumper as he comes in for landing. It can be done with either a toggle or by using a front riser.

Basically it is a radical change in direction that points the canopy directly towards the ground in a dive. The jumper underneath tends to pendullum under the canopy in the shape of a hook.

Hook turns do not equal a screwed up swoop.

The problem with a "hook" is that if you don't initiate at the correct altitude, there is nothing you can do you will dive into the ground.

With a "carve" you generally have the option of bailing out at any time.

Take it with a grain of salt, I don't hvae that much experience.

Dayle

there is nothing you can do you will dive into the ground.

see B. Germaine pg 66 "bottom end stab" "on most canopies, the pilot is able to recover from a coordinated turn or dive within about two seconds. That is assuming, of course, that there is line tension"

BE THE BUDDHA!

... an aggressive turn initiated by either toggle or riser, that, below 200 feet, ...

I would love to have the dude explain that to me and then hook it from 700ft.
I always knew it's good to start your turns higher ;)

Seriously, I don't agree with many of you here: originally, a hook was simply the term for a snap turn to pick up speed for landing. When people started doing hp-landings, we just didn't know yet that you get more speed and better control with a smoother turn. We jsut wanted to make the canopy dive. World champions were doing snap turns. And: with Sabres (1) you just can't carve in from 700 ft.

Now that most people are doing smoother turns I still refer to a hook as a snap turn. You can make a nice hook, and you don't even have to kill yourself to do so.

But, for the novices: don't learn the old school stuff, go for smooth carves and stay alive.

WOW.

Very nicely explained. I like THAT!
I'm just really curious, and need to know, but don't want to look like a fool at the dz, for seemingly asking a qustion everybody seems to think that everybody already knows- somehow!

I'm just starting to downsize from my 280 to a 220...
and already found even on the one jump on it so far, that reactions intensify in the smaller chutes!

Really need to get a feel for what I'm on, with what I'm learning...
But REALLY look forward to being competent enough to take a canopy course - HAND ON-
and really having some fun under the chute!

BLUES!- LiLa.