Palsson

540 hookturns

Normally I like to do 180 degree hookturn before landing but recently I have experimented with 540 degree front riser hooturns. However I can not really say it worked out so good. After the 540 front riser turn it is impossible to keep both front risers down to force the canopy to keep on diving if I started my turn to high. This makes it difficult to succeed and it also makes it more dangerous because I cannot start to high if I want the swoop. I'm not sure the 540 hookturn will give me a longer swoop, but the feeling when doing the turn cannot really be compared with the normal 180 degree turn.

Does anyone have experience from hookturns like this? What is the best way to increase my control zone in the hookturn so the height where I start my hookturn is not that critical, i.e. I can start the turn high enough.

;)

Using a digital altimeter start your 540 front riser hookturn at exactly 1500 feet. If you plane out too high then drop down one canopy size. Repeat this process until everything is sweet. Using this method you should end up with several canopies, each being appropriate for a specific number of hook-degrees or more aptly hook/altitude-degrees (HADS). Carefully catalog each canopy so as not to become confused and never vary from the HADS formula designated for that canopy. I believe that a gentleman by the name of Byron Gremlin was the first to refine this technique.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Before doing this at 1500feet would it not be safer to do it at 5000feet and record the height lost?

Does a 540 really gain that much extra distance for the added degree of danger now being introduced?

Why go from 180 to 540? Why not 180 to 270 then on to 360?

I'm still staying on 180s at the mo until I can get the consistency the same every time and then will go to 270s, but won't be any time soon.

If it's safe it ain't fun

Don't feed the trolls, gentlemen.

If the original poster is not trolling, then I would ask that he first do a search of this forum and read what the recommended progression consists of. Hint: it is not going from a 180 to a 540. That said, the principles for judging your setup height are exactly the same, regardless of what degree of turn you are working on.

Chuck

Using this method you should end up with several canopies, each being appropriate for a specific number of hook-degrees or more aptly hook/altitude-degrees (HADS).

If this was meant in jest, I apologise.

Bear in mind that there are many more variables to consider when making any turn. Snap/carve/something inbetween will have wildly differing altitude loss. Density altitude is another factor few think about till it gets high or hot or both and people start losing skin and bone.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I wondered for a while if you are the skydiver that frequents the 419eater forums. But after reading your comment above I now know you are not. :P

Was it not obvious it was meant in jest? :o
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

t

Tonto being all Green and serious... :D:D:P

You're quite right, of course.. Wouldn't want to screw up too badly in my first week on the job - especially when I have to clean up my own mess here in the incidents forum!:)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

you'll get sucked out when the door opens.

we freaked a tandem out doing that one time. me and the other packer were talking about how you get sucked out and you really have to watch yourself. the packer (we'll call him D) was only doing a hop'n'pop from 55 so when we got to altitude and heard door, D sat right next to the door and we flung the door open and he screamed and threw himself out (as if he'd been sucked out)

the tandem screamed and I swear , almost pissed her pants.

definately one of the funniest things I've ever seen...although I'm sure the T.M. wouldn't be too happy if someone peed on him B|

srry for the off-topic comment, not trying to hi-jack a thread

BE THE BUDDHA!