PaulHitchman

CYPRES and airlines...

I'm sure this is a question that's been asked many times since sept 11. and I appologise to those possibly grinding there teeth at this question but:

Any advice for travelling to the US with a CYPRES (AOD)?
- Should it be carry on luggage?

I read USPA site saying that a CYPRES is NOT classed as "dangerous goods" and every airline should be able to provide the official with a list including the CYPRES as safe. But the USPA warned that there is suffucient reason to get to the airport with plenty of time to spare just incase luggage handlers stop you.

Has anyone got any advice before I take my chute on as carry on luggage.

Paul

There is a Cypres X-ray card that has a quick explaination and a copy of what one looks like under the scanner at the airport, that helps. Remember, though, airport security is basically a minimum wage job, the workers aren't always the brightest and you may have to explain it all to them. Remember not to carry the rig exposed, put it in a backpack, that alone could cause problems.

That's what usually works in the US, although I'm not real sure how different its going to be coming from a different country.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"advice before I take my chute on as carry on luggage."

I did quite a lot of travelling with my rig post 9/11.
Tips...

Put it in a gear bag, or suitably sized carry on case. You know the wee things on wheels? they are perfect.

Remove your knives, and put hem in the hold.

Tie your reserve handle on with a brightly coloured pull up. Or better still use your chest strap to secure your res handle, there was a pic of this in last months parachutist, failing that PM Quade, he did a write up about this.

Make sure your audibles are switched off.

Show up plenty early (3 hours before dep time), and be "nice polite guy" with the check in and security staff.

Carry your cameras in a separate case, be prepared to have the rig checked into the hold...

Cya, bon voyage
Dave
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I carried on my rig at both OIA (Orlando) and LAX (Los Angeles) last week and didn't have any problems at all. My rig was in my gear bag, and it went through the scanners as quickly as my purse did.

If you bought a Cypres new and still have the booklet that came with it, the Cypres card should be on one of the pages in the book. That's where I found mine.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Make sure your audibles are switched off.

Glad you mentioned that. I'm flying (my first commercial flight) next week. My dytter is set to turn on automatically and i didn't even think about that. Now i'll remember to turn it off.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I have no problems taking my rig carry-on here, either. Although last time I just checked it because I hate taking luggage on Southwest Airlines.

I am apprehensive about checking in my rig... Lord knows what happens to it when it's not in your sight... suppose some random loser decides to sever your cutaway cable just for fun.... [:/]

"Lord knows what happens to it when it's not in your sight... suppose some random loser decides to sever your cutaway cable just for fun.... "

This is why you put it in a hard, lockable case, Samsonite or equivalent.
It s actually much more likely that the 'loser' will try and 'handle' your rig by picking it up by the perfectly designed silver thingy......
Do you know what a luggage conveyor is likely to do to your nice fluffy bit of nylon when it spills out on the carousel?:S

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Interesting enough.. the question was just asked of the USPA BOD and canidates to see what each of them think can be done to make rigs as carry ons an easier option. The thread is on Rec. and answers will be posted in 2 weeks.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

its good to hear that usually there wont be any problems with taking your gear on board.
but,,, does anybody have a "bad" experience where his/her rig was not allowed onboard?

This is why you put it in a hard, lockable case, Samsonite or equivalent.

just remember that thieves like Samsonite too... :ph34r:
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

just remember that thieves like Samsonite too...

:ph34r:Not my old, secure but extremely ugly Samsonite!

I was told recently that Canadian airlines are prohibiting cypress in carry-on. Anyone able to confirm that?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

It is my understanding that airlines insurance policies are not so favorable for lost or stolen luggage. Last i knew airlines only pay by weight, i.e. $x amount per pound for luggage. I seriously doubt their per pound rate will cover the cost of replacing your rig. Therefore I would never check anything of value.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

Travelliing to Spain I usually wear mine.

Only seriously questioned once (disregard the remarks like "you're not taking any chances, are you" etc.) and on explaining about the reserve was asked "and did you pack it yourself, Sir" - luckly I lied and said yes, another guy apparently said no and arrived at Ampuriabrave with his rig opened up and stuffed in a plastic bag.

Better still Dave, have it insured separately anyway, just like you would your cameras, bicycle, family heirlooms etc. If its lost, then you only have to deal with "inconvenience" (such a small word for so much pain..)

I have only had one bad experience so far with lost luggage.
KLM lost my rig, and a hard box with my laptop, and cameras in it. I went to Amsterdam, my gear went to Frankfurt....:(..But got it back a day later.

I had a large 'chest' of goodies impounded by the Thai customs, (the large chest was freighted separately on the outbound) who wanted more than its value in import duty, this was recovered in an unusual manner...;) Next time we have a beer I'll tell you about that little adventure.

--------------------