MuffDiver

Sabre2-built in turn

I just received a new Sabre2 170 and I put three jumps on it last night. The canopy wants to turn left on its own(no imput). I find that i have to fly and flare with my right toggle down approximately 8" lower than my left toggle just to get it to fly straight. What should I look for? Could the canopy be this out of trim straight from the factory? I also got a new container (Talon FS), I checked to insure that it fit properly, and everything seems to check out. How would you guys go about trouble shooting this, would you try the canopy with a different container, or would you look for something particularly wrong with the canopy? I know all the regular disclaimers apply, talk to my rigger first... I just want some ideas to discuss with him.

Thanks in advance

You can check the line-trim yourself. It is quite possible to manufacture the canopy slightly out of trim, quality assurance isn't absolute. It's not too difficult check...tie your three rings together to verify that they are completely even, then grab the outside line on your front left riser and the outside line of the front right riser from the slink or link, then run them up to the canopy and verify that the bartacks are at the same place and the lines are the same length when they attach to the canopy. Do this for each line, grabbing it's mirror, not forgetting to check the stabilizers as well.

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Legs strap even? Check
Legs even?

Depending on how you come in (one leg forward, one behind, or whatever), this can effect things as well.

I've heard people ask the same question (built in turn) about velocities. Most often it's a leg strap, leg position thing...

The problem happens even when flying full flight at altitude, not just coming in for landing. Should I try to compensate for the turn by tightening one strap more than the other?

The problem happens even when flying full flight at altitude, not just coming in for landing. Should I try to compensate for the turn by tightening one strap more than the other?

No! Get a rigger to help you check the line trim. 8" is very significant.... or at least I'm told ;)

It could be that when you assembled the brake lines you didn't use the same reference point on each side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

My EXE has the exact same problem. I had a rigger check it out after I could find nothing wrong with it. He said there was nothing wrong with the line trim and that the materail was all in perfect condition (about 150 jumps on the canopy).

He told me that the canopy was just had the turn built in, and that it's built into the actual canopy as opposed to the lines.

In flight it's not a problem at all as I'm always making use of some form of control input (doesn't do it in breaks if I'm trying to make it back, and if I have altitude I'm making turns anyway). I only notice it on final after I come out of my front riser turn. I simply drop my right leg and keep my left leg raised. This puts in a lot of harness input on the right hand side and eliminates the turn.

If you got it from the factory like this though, send it back (assuming the turn is confirmed). They shouldn't go out like that.

Howzit,

As has been suggested, check your lines, brake lines to make sure they are even. Leg straps even, legs even, (that was pretty amusing). If it still turns, get someone to jump it and see. My wife has same canopy but no such problem. If it still happens, send it back.

Cheers.
Courteney.
...drags me down like some sweet gravity!!!

Hey Steve!
I would suggest to have your rigger or dealer take a look at the canopy to see if there is anything unusual that jumps out at them.
The turn can come from the lines, the canopy or some asymmetry in the gear - the good news is that usually this problem can be corrected quickly.

Since you are in Canada it might be a bit of a mission for you to send the canopy back to PD for testing, but I would definitely recommend that you get in touch with the chicks in our maintenance department.
The best person to contact would be Robin ([email protected] - 386 738 2224), she will take good care of you!

Blue ones,
Kolla Kolbeinsdottir,
Performance Designs, Inc.
Blue Skies Magazine

I had a freind who had the same thing,...just a month ago...only it was a 120. She sent it back and they tried to fix it by shorting the right stab's which kind of makes it fly striat...only sucks if you get a reline. If i were you check the lines to see if they all are the same length if you send it to them and they fix it. Just my two cents....
seek and destroy, clear and sweep, what ever you want to call it, its all fun in games in the game of war.