superstu

NW canopy pilots

I use Microsoft Movie Maker 2. It's free and you can get it at http://www.microsoft.com/moviemaker/. If you have Windows XP, it already has Movie Maker on it, but the first version sucks compared to the newer one.

I've been using Premiere since its inception and all the way through version 7 (which I still use occassionaly). A couple months ago, I didn't have Premiere on a machine and I wanted to do a quick video edit. I used Movie Maker 2, which was already on the machine, and I found that actually like this program better! MM2 does everything Premiere does, only way faster and through a simpler interface. It handles very large files better, as well... ripping two full MiniDV tapes and editing from there took FOREVER in Premiere. There are more export options (except QT, but I don't really like QT). What's nice is that you can target a file size... like tell it that you want the best possible file to fit into 4 MB.

Reading and writing video to camera has literally no frame skipping. I keep a few gigs free on my laptop's HD so I can rip video from people, do some quick editing over a beer or two, put it back on MiniDV (without quality loss), and then just camera-to-camera anyone who wants a copy before we all head home. Premiere can do this, too, but it dropped frames on almost anything over 60 seconds long. I recommend MM2 for any Windows user at the consumer or prosumer level of video production.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Premiere can do this, too, but it dropped frames on almost anything over 60 seconds long.

waa?? Never ever had that issue with premiere and I've done some lengthy stuff with it.

My guess would be a hardward config issue or something along those lines if you're experiencing that.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Well, it'd be like one or two frames every other minute. It happened on all three of my PCs, all of which have at least 512 MB of memory, over 2GHz processor, and fast drives with big buffers. I have a dual 1.25GHz G4 at work, and have the same problem there. I've had this problem with the PC10, PC9, PC105, and PC330 (a co-worker just got this one, and also has a PC101). My co-worker on another Mac with the PC330 edits in Premiere. He now rips using iMovie because of frame-dropping in Premiere. We always connect through firewire.

I would just go back and re-rip the part that had a skip in it. The bigger issue was writing back to the camera, which would have weird speed inconsistencies (either frame skipping or playing back one or two seconds too fast). That problem aside, the way that MM2 handles large files is way better. Rather than creating a big wad of a temp file, it makes a ton of smaller TMP files and puts the one you are using into memory. It makes traversing hours of DV as fast as working on a text file. It's rad. R.A.D.!

OK, let's not get too off topic.

Click

sat @sdo would be cool, However- if I find out in next next couple of days that we have permission to do major landscaping at our new swoop pond I'll probably want to stay down south so that we can arrange for earth-moving equipment and soforth. I'll know in the next couple of days.

Either way you cats should come down and play, on Sunday member- you can hop and pop for $5

I have the taxation lot number from the county land mgmt office but I didn't get the actual info on our pond from the deeds and records office yet, I should be able to have our property ownership issue answered tomorrow, once we find out that it's public land (cross your fingers everyone) we can go big with the landscaping--real big.

Ya know I can see doing a tat on somebodies butt you do not know, but (butt) somebody you do know then having to walk around with that mental image and the knowledge that you touched your friend on the ass........on purpose................for money.
I guess I have two hang ups, getting hurt is on and touching my friends asses. Dammit I'm f'd up!

Stu came down on Friday and the was just absolutely dead. Stu had some really nice ones. A couple scrotum injuries, but great swoops nonetheless. I prefer a nice tailwind, but it was a good chance to measure what my actual distance is without wind assistance.

Headed to Creswell yesterday (Sunday) to play with the pond that was, as Diveout puts it, "opened" last week. Turns out the pond is on private property, but Dan and Kim talked to the owners and got their permission to swoop it. The only stipulation is that we can't land in the corn fields (obviously). At the moment, this leaves us with a landing area that is about ten feet wide (but continues to widen) and maybe 30 feet long. Plus, there are no outs on this pond. You make it or you swim, and the pond is deep. Adding to that, you pretty much have to start your turn over the nearby power lines to nail the landing area. Not your standard DZ swoop pond.

The pond is absolutely beautiful and full of wildlife. Fish will jump infront of you in mid swoop. We didn't get a ton of footage. I did it wearing a camera (and wingsuit) once, but opted to leave it off my head after that (which sucks, because the following two shreds were two of the best I ever pulled off). Diveout had some really nice swoops with a lot of water contact time and big, fat carves. It was some of the most fun I've had landing.

Got a new birdman whilst down there, as well. Congratulations, Sean!

I'll assemble a video of this last weekend's footage and put it up here in a bit.

Click