cobaltdan

ONYX pictures

I just received an e-mail back from the factory regarding a demo for a 115. It stated that they are expecting a shipment of demo canopies within the next two weeks.

I'm going to try to call for more info next week, and fax my demo request form in.

Interested to see if Atair will be making an effort to get a fleet of demos online or if they're going to offer a big discount sometime in the future. I reallyw want to see if this wing is as good as some people say in some of the posts I'm reading

Next to Junk Shack, Attair is the most entertaining skydiving company to watch. Why not add some more seams, and call it a 57 cell. Since when does more seams = more cells? Hey, you could call it the Heniz 57. The ad campaign would be 2 years long with a tag line of "anticipation, we're making you wait". :P

I originally asked about getting an onyx demo over a year ago when the add for this canopy ran on the back of parachutist magazine.

I've got absolutely no problem waiting for a whole year to fly one of these things as long as I eventually do get to fly one (a 105 and a 115 would be great if you're wondering), also I'd like to know if the "we're expecting a shipment of demo canopies within two weeks" is accurate as well.

Until people started posting pics of these things in actual use, the ONYX was really just like a unicorn, somebody said they saw one once but no one knew anything about them -they were just a myth.

Now it seems like there might be a few demo's available-

Cobalt Dan?

How did it open? How did it fly?

Did you wear any weights with it? What was the loading?

Did they tell you it was mislabeled?

the openings are a nice snivel with a hard pop at the end (granted i only put like 6 jumps under it, but it opened this way every time).

it has a great glide, you can get back from long spots no problem. but the downside to that is it doesn't dive for shit. to get any speed you have to do a really long carve, and i personally am not into that. i like to do a quicker turn and let the canopy dive straight down at my line, with time to adjust.

i only got 6 jumps under it, so i didn't really get to play with rears a lot, but they didnt' seam to have a lot of power, but it could of just been deeper into them.

front riser pressure is light, rears is pretty heavey (compared to my vx).

over all, i'm not really super impressed with the canopy at a loading of like 2.1. i'm going to try a smaller one load it up at like 2.5 or so and see how it flys, but i'm not expecting much better.

i think it needs longer lines or a higher angle of attack (to make it dive better) and it would be a much better canopy.

edit: oh yea, they didn't tell me i had a 105 until the day it was due back.

later

Atair just called saying that they rec'd my demo request form. I was asking for a 115 and a 105 (not at the same time)- I am totally curious about this canyopy and can't wait to fly one, especially the 105 at 2.4 wing loading.

I'll let everyone know how it goes -hopefully I won't have to wait too long for my demo to show up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. but the downside to that is it doesn't dive for shit.

With lines that short it wouldn't.

As an example of how subjective this can be, I have an 85 and 95 I've put a few jumps on and my initial impression has been I think they both out dive my 89 X-VX with much lighter riser pressure. I know that is counter-intuitive but then again more than just the line lengths may come into play and interact to achieve this result. I need to do more jumps.

I'm not sure of the sizes though and even that is subjective with respect to the manufacturer. Dan has told me that the line trims/lengths on the Onyx are the exact same as those on the same sized Cobalt. They are about 10 inches shorter on the 95 Onyx than my 89 X-VX.

The airfoil and planform are different than the VX as well as the trim angle. The quality of construction looks to me to be as good or better as any I've seen but the mis-labelling thing looks bad. Atair did well in my book in how they handled that, but it does raise a flag.

The 95 is labelled as an 85 and Atair informed me via a phone call that it was mislabelled and they didn't discover that until after is was sent to me. Dan very kindly shipped me the 85 which has a label with 75 on it that was lined out and remarked as an 85.

I have layed out my 89 X-VX and out the 95 Onyx on top of it. It is smaller with a little less span and more tapered trailing edge. The 85 Onyx is also smaller when layed on top of the others. No suprises with that as most of us are are of the variances in measuring/sizing methods in the industry.

I don't have enough jumps on them yet for any meaningful review, but so far they glide very well, seem a bit slower in airspeed, have the "2 stage openings" the company describes, great surf, low toggle and riser pressure (relative to the VX) great flare and a very fast rate of turn.
alan