chileanXaos

How high can you land msl ?

Hi guys .I was thinking how high , can you land a hight performance canopy , let say 11000 feet msl .
I am asking it because some friends landed in the ski center here in my country Chile , but they used big parachutes , and I was wondering if it is posible to land a xaos or vx in the mountain .
Maybe it would be good doing some ground launching before.

Hi guys .I was thinking how high , can you land a hight performance canopy , let say 11000 feet msl .
I am asking it because some friends landed in the ski center here in my country Chile , but they used big parachutes , and I was wondering if it is posible to land a xaos or vx in the mountain .
Maybe it would be good doing some ground launching before.

Highest I've landed was A stiletto 120 loaded 1.6:1 at 11,200msl. I did a 90-180 FR turn to final. It was fast, but way doable.

FWIW, I've landed bigger read: non-HP canopies at altitudes up to 13,500 msl. That is getting into really, really thin air for any canopy IMHO.
mh

Ill bet you can land it anywhere. Whether you walk away from it is another story.

I have seen out of the blue, though, and their first attempt looked rather rough. Doesnt appear to be a whole lot of performance.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

we have a guy at the DZ who "regularly" lands a velo I think 96 or something at the altitude you mention, and the canopy is well loaded... maybe landing with "bigfoot" helps walking from it...

www.piis.ch/gallery.php?dirdesc=WinterJumps&id=winter02&fid=winter07.jpg#2
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Hooknswoop landed his VX 60 loaded 3.1 here in Colorado at I think 6500 and 9000 ft. I know it's not 11,000ft but the canopy was loaded 3.1, we joked about jumping and landing on pikes peak (14,000), but he didn't think the parking lot was a long enough run way. Start at one side of the mountain and go off the other side. ;)
Fly it like you stole it!

A good mathemetician and physicist could lend a hand.

Short answer: atmospheric pressure at sea level is 1013.25 millibars or 29.92 in. of Hg (same pressure as is exerted by a column of water about 33 feet high). At 18,000 feet altitude, assuming everything being equal (temp., for instance), the pressure exerted by the atmosphere is about 1/2 of sea level, or ~500 mb.......At 14,000 feet, approx. 3/4 of sea level.

Based on this information, the vertical vector (downward movement) of your canopy's flight path should be about 1.3 times as fast at 14,000 feet altitude compared to sea level. Since the air density is only about 3/4 of sea level, the canopy does not have as many molecules of air to ride on, therefore it descends faster. These numbers are rough estimates only.

At high altitudes, it is much colder than at sea level, and this compensates somewhat for the lower density based on altitude alone, but the overall effect is much thinner air so you will still come down much faster.

D--

Aah, but the real question is does the mathematician and physicist skydive? Cos, you know if they do, their findings might be inaccurate compared to those who spend their spare time collecting rocks, stamps and working out maths problems.
Just a thought.
...drags me down like some sweet gravity!!!

Well equation for lift is:
L = (Ro * (V*V) * Cl * S)/2
L - Lift
Ro - density of air (Sorry, no greek leters in here)
V - Velocity
Cl - Coefficient of lift
S- area
So for you to be able to land your canopy. it has to produce enough lift so that it matches or exceeds your total weight.
So the higher the density the higher the lift force is.
But let's say that the density is given. What you can change is V (your speed) or Cl (coefficient of lift). Cl is changed by flaring (if i start explaining that it will be one loong post, so i wont).
So theoretically you have to have a lot of speed and big Cl. you can do that by doing a "HP landing", where you have tons of speed.
guys at PST are swooping canopies at speeds 100km/h. So theoreticaly you could land it very high (MSL) but would you dare stepping on the ground when you'd still have 80km/h horizontal speed in a swoop, because at 70km/h (for example) the canopy won't support your weight anymore.
And the higher you are the sooner (at higher speed) the canopy will stop producing enough lift to support your weight.

So it's not really a definite answer for "how high (MSL) can you land". It depends on at what speed (in a swoop) do you dare to step down. More guts (or less brain) you have, at higher MSL you can land :P
"George just lucky i guess!"