kansasskydiver

X-Fire2 front riser pressure

I'm flying a XF2 at 1.75:1 and it seems to be building an EXTREMELY large amount of front riser pressure yesterday and found myself in an odd situation.

Here are the senarios, see if anyone can figure it out or if you have the same situation on this canopy .

-winds at 0-5mph out of north
-approach (270) for crosswind landing
-started at around 500-700 ft, harness inputs to get setup to that point.
-carved around and at around 100-150ft the riser pressure was so much that I could hold down my left riser, went to do doubles and couldn't pull them down, went to counter to the right and couldn't as well.
-aborted swoop to avoid object (hanger) that i was pointed at. had to use toggles to adjust back onto flight path

I found it very odd that I had built up so much pressure that I couldn't counter steer it with the other riser. Anyone experienced extremely high front riser pressure on a XF2? My sabre 170 had never built up this much pressure...

any thoughts into this would be appreciated
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I fly my 111 cf2 at 1.85 and it has the lightlest front riser pressure of any canopy I have ever jumped... lighter than cobalt, stilletto, jedi, samurai, etc... dont know what to tellya.. how many jumps are on the canopy?? line set?? could it be out of trim???

I've noticed that my XF2 has a bit higher front riser pressure then the demo I jumped, but I don't know why. Its still not too hard for me to pull down and hold in a dive, though.

Have your brake lines shortened due to use and now you're deflecting the tail?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Only 50 jumps on the canopy so it shouldn't be out of trim, i hope not atleast...

And the brakes are actually a bit long so i know the tails isn't deflecting air. I turn into my turns with the harness to add to the carve too. Also, I'm not a weakling either, I can hold my own and when I can't pull down the right front riser to counter steer there's something wrong:S

At what point were you trying to pull the other riser down, in mid-turn or during/after your canopy starting planning out? At a certain point, it's a lost cause trying to squeeze more dive out of my [email protected] if I decide I'm too high too late. Basically I have to ride it down shifting in harness, I'd imagine the pressure would be similar or worse for you.

-Rory

I'm flying a XF2 at 1.75:1 and it seems to be building an EXTREMELY large amount of front riser pressure yesterday and found myself in an odd situation.

Here are the senarios, see if anyone can figure it out or if you have the same situation on this canopy .

-winds at 0-5mph out of north
-approach (270) for crosswind landing
-started at around 500-700 ft, harness inputs to get setup to that point.
-carved around and at around 100-150ft the riser pressure was so much that I could hold down my left riser, went to do doubles and couldn't pull them down, went to counter to the right and couldn't as well.
-aborted swoop to avoid object (hanger) that i was pointed at. had to use toggles to adjust back onto flight path

I found it very odd that I had built up so much pressure that I couldn't counter steer it with the other riser. Anyone experienced extremely high front riser pressure on a XF2? My sabre 170 had never built up this much pressure...

any thoughts into this would be appreciated

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

The only time I've had a tough time with the riser pressure on mine (141 @ 1.7) is after the canopy starts to recover and I try to give it a little more "ummphh". Also when I am on heading and I want to keep it in a double front dive (steep).

Other than that I dont think its too high at all. Get that puppy divin! Just get out and "hoooookit", as I've been told! B|

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Are X-fires factory brake lines too short like many other factory stock brake settings?

no, most people find them to be a tad long (even with using the front risers).

later

oh yeah the brake lines are a good 4-6 inches too long. I need to have it adjusted, i use rear riser or take just a half kinda wrap in the toggles when i need the extra flare. I'm still figuring out the canopy but I foudn it very odd that I had to abort because of high riser pressure not allowing me to keep in a turn

My XF2 119 at 1.93 has long S-lines too. From full flight I have to pull the toggles down to about shoulder height before the tail is affected. But I wouldn't want them any shorter, cuz I just about avoid pulling the tail with me in deep frontriser inputs.
Regarding pressure: I've never had any problems with this on my XF2. best canopy I've ever had.

It's my understanding that they built the X-fire2 with the intention of lightening the riser pressure that was with the X-fire1. I could pick myself out of the harness with my X-fire1 139. Now I have a 109 and it's remarkably better. If this is happening with your x-fire 2 then something has to be wrong.

my 2cents

I have an Xfire2 129 loaded @ 1.4 even with the light wing loading, there is still very light riser presure. I know its somthing that you don't want to hear or do... but you might want to think about having it looked at by icarus. It'll probably take them awhile... but it might be worth it. later
--------------------------------------------------
What doesn't kill you... only requires brief hospitalization!!

Your riser pressure will increase as your speed increases. Try starting the turn on half brakes to risers then finishing it with harness input rather than the other way round.

Glad to hear you aborted your landing - i'm guessing the hangar is bigger and heavier than you are...

have fun
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Glad to hear you aborted your landing - i'm guessing the hangar is bigger and heavier than you are...

have fun

Yep:P I always set up my approaches with outs in mind but had never had to use them before. This is the time I'm glad I had south, and east completely open for me to abort to