frankiebrina

Katana - Flight Characteristics-

Airlock tandem is a recurrent thought I have had for a while. It will be an expensive research program, and that is prohibitive. The biggest argument against that kind of project is the walk back in. Specific techniques must be developed for getting a 400 sf airlock canopy under control in windy conditions.

Perhaps we'll see something like that in the future. I certainly haven't ruled out the possibility.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Agreed. The walk in would be a problem, I'm sure you've thought of this for a while. Perhapse a valve system? Something like bottom skin vents? Hmmmmm....

You make it I'd jump it as landing under a tandem canopy is when I feel most vunerable to turbulance.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Airlocking a tandem is a very real possibility. We have build rather large airlock canopies before, and really liked the results.

The secrets to walking in with an airlock canopy are going to be a topic in a new post in this forum. It is an important issue, one that may help remove barriers folks may have built between them and the purchase of a valved canopy.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Only for the idiots that pro pack them...

oh i see how it is. your one of those guys that take up half the packing area when you pack a tandem.

no what would suck just as much as the whole packjob would be getting that big fucker to S fold (the xbraced one anyway).

later

Somehow I don't see Xbraces Tandems being larger then 330's You've packed 425's before, same pack volume

dude, if they came out with xbraced tandems, i'd like custom order like a 280 or something and start taking poeple who think they want to start doing hook turn and just scare the fuck out of em by doing a big phat 540 or something under a tandem. i'd put 2 to 1's on the front risers :D:D

later

So have you actually taken both canopies and done these comparisons? - because as far as I know there are no Katana's out there except for a few in Deland and the demo's that were built. Unless you work at PD and are sure of your facts, this is a bold statement to make.

Yes, both the Lotus-Sabre2 and the Samurai-Katana on seperate occasions.

I don't know how many Katanas are actually out there, but I have seen and handled several of them in the last five or six months. Finding the same size Samurai at the same time there was a Katana on hand was the hard part, but the ones which were compared were the same size and both made at PD.

So why would I need to work at PD to be sure of the facts and to make the statement? I would have liked to pick stitches on both canopies and compared actual panels, but some folks might not be too happy about that. B|

Nonetheless, don't just take my word for it, compare them yourself. That, or maybe someone with both sets of CAD files could compare them exactly and post the results here.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

How have you handled a few Katana's in the last several months? Are u a test jumper for PD? My point is if you dont work at PD then how can you make a claim about the Samurai and the Katana when the katana has not been released until now. I find it very hard to believe that the canopies are the same when they are competitors in a different market. Ideas may be the same but not canopies. And speaking of airlocks, I heard years ago that PD does own the rights to the airlock - I recall Airtime/ Brian selling it to them. I could be wrong though.

Christ allmighty. There are Katanas out there. There are DEMO Katanas out there. Certain jumpers around the country have Katanas in their possession and have had them for at least six months.

What market are you talking about? They are direct competitors. They are high-performance elliptical nine-cell canopies. Further, they are made in the same factory, cut on the same table, assembled by the same ladies and sewn on the same sewing machines.

Seriously, you can answer your own questions by simply comparing the two canopies. Trust me, there are several out there, no matter when the "official" release date is.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

What market are you talking about? They are direct competitors. They are high-performance elliptical nine-cell canopies.

I've just confirmed my belief that you have no idea what you're talking about.

From the PD website:

Performance Designs' Katana is a high-performance canopy designed for experienced canopy pilots. The Katana has been described as “a perfect fit between the Stiletto and Velocity,” and a canopy that is “very suited to modern flying styles.”

Like the PD Stiletto, the Katana is a highly tapered or “elliptical” nine-cell canopy made from zero-porosity fabric. Both the Stiletto and the Katana were designed using a conventional cell structure, without cross-braces or airlocks™ . The Katana may look similar to a Stiletto at first glance, but beneath the surface they are two completely different machines.

From the BigAir website:

The Samurai is our high performance 9-Cell elliptical parachute equipped with “Airlocks." Based on the Jedei Sweptwing, the Samurai is a versatile airfoil that will please both conservative experienced skydivers, and super-swoopers alike. The rigid feel of the wing is reminiscent of the Jedei, but without the severe “ground-hungriness” that some customers didn’t like. Make no mistake, however, the Samurai will out-swoop the Jedei both in overall distance as well as in softness of the touchdown.

I am very curious to hear how you confirmed your belief based upon what I said, given my words are a paraphrase of the promotional materials from each company.

Or do you question my statement that they are direct competitors? That actually isn't completely the case. I was told by an employee of PD recently that they don't care if I buy a BigAir canopy or a PD canopy because they're making money no matter which I buy.

mike

The Katan prototypes have been in the field for about 6 months, but I doubt if you've seen any of the testing, or recived any of the data about the canopy.

And as for saying it's a "high-performance elliptical nine-cell canopy" and that they are "direct competitors." you couldn't be more wrong.

A stiletto and a Vengance are not even in the same catagory. Is a VX in the same class as the Samuri? It's a "high-performance elliptical nine-cell canopy"

You appear to be making an argument for a case that's not there.

We understand you like your canopy, and suport Brian's company. Get over it.

Fine, believe what you will. Doesn't matter to me.

I have flown more than 40 "types" of skydiving canopies many in multiple sizes. I understand and make sure my customers understand that there are many different catagorys of canopys.

Your statement is like me saying all Ram Air canopys compete with one another.

Anyway, I'm....... done.