weezil1

Newbie Rig?

I am in a enviable position where my wife is allowing me to shop for my first rig. Looking for suggestions. As I am an extreme newbie (8 jumps) I am needing something VERY forgiving and docile. (No swoops here, folks!) I was looking into the Vector, but are there any other suggestions?
To err is human (Total chaos requires a ferret)

Forgiving and docile are terms associated with the main, not the container. The Vector III container is one of the best, in my opinion. Also very good are the Wings, Quasar II, Javelin, and Infinity. As for your main, start with the Gear section of dropzone.com and then start visiting some of the manufacturers' sites to read up on the canopies that are available. Some of the sites have very helpful articles on choosing canopies. Most important of all, talk to local people who know how you handle a canopy and get their suggestions.

Triathalons are forgiving and docile. I have one with a really low wingloading, and I honestly don't think it could get any more docile!

And if I can't have a Javelin, I'm not jumping! :P;)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

forgiving and docile: spectre.

good comfortable container: javelin or wings.

What he said :)
The Spectre is an Extremely good first canopy!! Ask anyone who flies one and they'll tell you. 7cell makes it easier to pack, slower/softer on openning. It's 'docile' only if you want it to be though.

I love my Wings! I've worn the javelin, vector II, Mirage G3... and student gear:P There are a lot of good containers out there. It's up to you really but make sure whatever you get is freefly-friendly (even if you are not 'planning' to freefly ;))

I'd recommend you make a few more jumps and talk Canopy Size over with experienced jumpers/coaches that have seen you under canopy before you go out and spend the bucks. Once you have a good Idea of what's gonna work for you, your best bet is to look into the 'complete rigs/systems' section of the classified here on DZ.com and also at the enclave (http://www.enclave.com/photoads/viewads.html). This is a better option than piecing a rig together. People here are selling their 'first rigs' in order to buy the next :)
Good luck and Blue skies!
Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

As a relatively new skydiver, I'd recommend waiting a bit. I have 45 jumps now. When I was at 8 jumps, I was jumping a PD280. Now I'm jumping 170s. Only now do I feel that I'm ready for my own gear, and I'm just getting a rig together. In the next 40-50 jumps, you will transition from student gear to what you'll own as a first rig. If you buy something now, you'll outgrow it in relatively few jumps. But if you get something that will keep you interested for several hundred jumps, you'll be over your head. I'd say hold on a bit, transition through the student gear, and then buy something that you load 1:1 or so. And buy used!

Gary, he's a freak, what do you expect! ;)

For the rig discussion, I'd recommend buying a second hand rig. Fit and confort is important, and since it wont be custom made for you, try a lot of different ones and buy the one that fits best (as long as its the right container size and is in good shape, relatively not too old).

Jav, Vector, Reflex, Mirage, Infinity, Wings, etc doesnt really matter as a 1st rig, as long as its in good shape IMHO.

Remster

What are the rules regarding the rigs you can jump in the US?

In Oz, if you're a student (ie haven't got your A licence), then you have to jump student gear; ripcord, SOS handle etc...

Once you've got your A licence, then you can get your own rig, and at the moment we have to have an AAD until we get our D licence (200 jumps)
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Students need a Cypress, RSL (reserve static line), and a hard-shell helmet until an A-License is achieved. All three become optional after that point (though some dzs here have made Cypres mandatory)
There are no restrictions that I'm aware of from the USPA regarding SOS systems. The ST&A should be consulted on an appropriately sized student rig and canopy for a non-licensed jumper. In the US, every student rig I've encountered uses a BOC (bottom of container) deployment system, though I'm sure there are exceptions.

>The ST&A should be consulted on an appropriately sized student rig and canopy for a non-licensed jumper

No offense to STA's but this should actually be someone who is aware of how you fly and has the experience to see what you should be flying. There is only one STA I'd trust to tell me about new canopy choices or even the right sized gear out of the 10 or so I've met. STA's can give general advice, but 1:1 for some people is terrifying and they need larger canopies while 1.25:1 is just right for others. Jumpmasters that have direct experience with the student and are fimiliar with the student should be consulted and working with other JM's STA's and the jumper they should come up with the ideal rig for the jumper.

I'm yet to met an STA that can tell you how every student in the DZ's student program is doing on all aspects of their canopy flying.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thank you all for your input. By far and away the most offered advice is "Wait." With a little introspection I have to agree. I am way too new at this sport to even know what I want yet.

I will stick with the 'chutes my DZO hands me until she feels I am qualified to even ASK her for rig setups. And with 6 long months to go until safety day, I hope I can remember how to check them!

(wait - thats one of the reasons for safety day, isn't it?)

Weezil1
To err is human (Total chaos requires a ferret)