blair700

Humidity??

OK, so in lamen's terms, why can't I get my canopy to dive as fast and as steep on these humid June days in the South...anyone else notice this...I never used to, but I guess its more pronounced at higher wing loadings etc??? What's up wit dat???
Thanks
Blair

That series of articles was very interesting. Humid air is LESS dense than dry air of the same pressure and temperature...that's very counter-intuitive. That means on hot-humid days, you can expect to get a little more dive and a little more surf than usual.

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

That means on hot-humid days, you can expect to get a little more dive and a little more surf than usual.

That's correct.

And if those conditions are zippy enough for you, why don't you come up to make a skydive in CO or NM where density altitude can be pushing 9000+ feet on a hot summer day. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

That series of articles was very interesting. Humid air is LESS dense than dry air of the same pressure and temperature...that's very counter-intuitive. That means on hot-humid days, you can expect to get a little more dive and a little more surf than usual.

-R

less density = less lift
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

less density = less lift

That's true for the same airspeed, however, less density also means the canopy -will- be flying faster so it should swoop slightly farther until it reaches the airspeed at which it can no longer support the same amount of weight under canopy.

For every 1000 foot increase in density altitude the canopy will have to fly about 2% faster and the energy in the system will be about 4% greater for an overall potentially longer swoop of about 2%.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver