jitsoa33

can i land wherever i want?

You have to tell the FAA at least an hour ahead of time, and you may not create a hazard to people or property on the ground.
You must wear a two-parachute, single-harness rig, but the FAA does not require you to use either parachute, as long as you are not creating a hazard.
If you are going to compensate the pilot, then the pilot needs to have a commercial pilot license. Make sure your pilot knows the requirements of FAR 105.
Mark

but the FAA does not require you to use either parachute, as long as you are not creating a hazard.

So I guess as long as you bounce in an empty field, you're not breaking the law :o

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One other thing... you have to file te paperwork with the FAA and they will usually ask to see profenecy in landing on target. PRO ratings are best. There are some major issues to worry about in off DZ landings, talk to PRO jumpers before thinking about doing this type of a jump.

Hiring a plane and pilot = $100 an hour
Buying a rig = $4000
Doing the 500 jumps to get your PRO = $10000

The feeling of wanting to throw up when you realize just how small of a landing area that is after leaving the plane..... PRICELESS
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

And you can't get out over residential areas I believe.

would you like to know how many times I've been in freefall over the lovely city of Sebastian....definately residential if you have ever seen the over head of it.....

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Kris

I believe this is true as well - however, when gandering at the zoning maps for Denver, industrial and residential are scattered quite regularly amongst one another. Just like the good ol industrial haze excuse, one could use the "that was an industrial residential zone"!! ;)

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I'm looking in FAR Part 105, and I can't find a residential-area restriction on normal skydiving operations. There is a reference to "congested areas" in 105.21, but that applies only to demo jumps. Perhaps someone could find the citation for us.
Mark

105.21 Parachute operations over or into a congested area or an open-air assembly of persons.

(a) No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from that aircraft, over or into a congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or an open-air assembly of persons unless a certificate of authorization for that parachute operation has been issued under this section. However, a parachutist may drift over a congested area or an open-air assembly of persons with a fully deployed and properly functioning parachute if that parachutist is at a sufficient altitude to avoid creating a hazard to persons or property on the surface.

The way I read it -- it applies to ALL skydiving ops.

The key point being, "105.21 Parachute operations over or into a congested area or an open-air assembly of persons."

So, to satisfy the requirement, go ahead and make your jump, but at an altitude which does not create a hazard, yada, yada, yada.

I assume from that they mean the standard hazard altitudes that apply to ALL fixed-wing aircraft ops -- at least 1000 ft above the highest structure, yada, yada, yada as outlined in FAR 91.119.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

A friend of mine had a party every year that we would jump into, we never had any problems....
Just file your NOTAM and be Careful......
Your first intentional off DZ landing will be something you'll remember for a LONG time...:)

HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

Okay, looking farther, AC105-2C, section 15-E has examples. Example 5 applies, I think.

Jumps made into large areas, even though near or within a populated area or near an open air assembly of persons, do not require written FAA authorization. This provision applies to open areas large enough to enable the parachutists to exit the aircraft over the area and remain within the area during descent and landing. Since at no time would a jumper be over a congested area, jumps of this nature would not impose a public hazard...

So by implication, if the area were too small to permit exit and descent over the open area, and landing within it, then authorization would be required.
Also, "congested" is not the same as "residential."
Mark

You're right! Congested is a far more liberal term. I believe that congested doesn't always imply residential, but residential always implies congested. This not being in the actual FAR but rather in the "Interps".

Sorry, though, usually I have a URL to back stuff like this up, but unfortunately I don't have one for this.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Okay, looking farther, AC105-2C, section 15-E has examples. Example 5 applies, I think.

Jumps made into large areas, even though near or within a populated area or near an open air assembly of persons, do not require written FAA authorization. This provision applies to open areas large enough to enable the parachutists to exit the aircraft over the area and remain within the area during descent and landing. Since at no time would a jumper be over a congested area, jumps of this nature would not impose a public hazard...

Mark

I thought this as well until I had to contact the San Jose' FSDO last year. In -their- opinion, all jumps in their jurisdiction -required- a 7711-2 filed and approved. And this was for a --very-- Open Field demo.

So, even if the FAA says you can, you -might- want to check with the FSDO in the area in which you want to jump and see what they say. :S

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon