jsfreefly76

crossbraced wing loading

I am in the market for a new canopy and have some questions. I've been jumping a crossfire 139 and just sold it. Its been great canopy, but I am always told of the performance of a crossbraced. I'm about 200 lbs exit weight and don't want anything smaller than a 120. To crossbrace or not to crossbrace?

Most x-braced manufacturers don't reccomend downsizing AND going crossbraced in one move. You should jump a high performance canopy of that size for a while THEN go x-braced.

I'd reccomend jumping a smaller crossfire or go to a 120 Samurai. The Samurai will help you adapt to a significantly more ground hungry canopy before you go x-braced.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I would say demo. I had a similar change from a cobalt 135 to a xaos 120 about a year ago, at about 500 jumps. I weigh about 205 without my rig, camera, etc. I love the xaos. The real question is why are you changing canopies. The xaos has much more low end lift than the cobalt had and the openings are MUCH better. Demo or try to arrange jumping someone's xbraced. If you are near atlanta you are welcome to my 120 xaos

Why do you feel ready to go to the extreame of canopies out there?

Do you feel you have mastered all there is to do under the one you have now?

Do you think you have nothing to learn on a reqular 120 before you go Xbraced?

Just think about it....Broken legs suck for you.
Death sucks for the ones that care about you.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I went from a Xfire 1 99' toa Xaos 21 85' although I did put over 400 jumps on the Xfire in less than a year. If you can find a similar sized X braced canopy it will definetly give you a better understanding of the flight differences. The X braced canopy although being slightly more ground hungry than your Xfire, is a diving machine when you turn them and depending which one you try as to how long the recovery arc. Things I would do on my Xfire loaded 1.87/1, I need over twice the altitude on my Xaos loaded 2.3/1. Be careful, these are spectacular and fun canopies but they have 0 conscience! A low mistake on these, is unforgiving at best, even though flown very conservativly is actually easier to land in open areas than the Xfire, they will eat up some room in full glide. Having had to land a very small one with one toggle stuck in brakes, it wasn't fun but I walked away. Some wouldn't have been as fortunate.[:/]

I am about the same exit weight as you and I fly camera as well. From what I have seen the Xaos's have the nicest openings and best low end lift capability.

However, at 300 jumps on my stiletto 120 and a total of just under 700 jumps, I would say downsize to a crossfire2 or stiletto 120 first. The Samurai is a pretty high performance canopy but it is nothing like the crossfire2 or stiletto, not even close. The point that I am getting to is that if you try to compare a samurai to a x-brace, then you will be dramatically suprised when it is time to land. The samurai is extremely forgiving in comparison.

You have nothing to lose by waiting and increasing your level of experience on a 120 before going x-braced. This is coming from someone that is your same size, a high performance 120 is nothing like the old series crossfire in the 130 range. The old crossfires in the 130 range fly more like a 150 in comparison.

With the jump numbers you have, you would more than likely be ok to do it, but you would be much better and safer if you did another 200 jumps on a truly high performance canopy such as the crossfire2 119 or stiletto 120. From what I have seen, the Samurai 120 had a dive similar to the Stiletto, but had nowhere the same lift capability. On the same note, the crossfire2 has a longer dive so that might be the best option yet. However, I really didn't see much difference in the low end lift between the crossfire2 and the stiletto. .......I have also heard rumor that PD is coming out with a stiletto2:ph34r:;)B|:P ......that opens up a whole new world if they do.

The other thing to consider is this. In the next year or two, there are going to be completely new x-brace designs with better openings. Don't be in a hurry, you might find yourself happier in the long run.

Right now, I am getting consistant 80-100 yard swoops on my stiletto 120 @ 1.95. At the same time I am understanding why people were telling me to be careful when I got it. It has taken me right at 300 jumps to master a safe approach and consistant accuracy with this canopy. As a matter of fact, I use a frizbee for an ending target now.....it is only now that I am considering a crossbraced canopy.

Oh yeah, the one time I thought I knew enough to fly what ever........I ended up in the hospital with a shattered femur, broken hip, and destroyed back. The video shows that I did my turn at enough altitude, but didn't recognize that my dive was longer than I needed. If I had about 3 feet more altitude I would have been just fine and had one hell of a swoop.......B|

Just a thought.;)

Live today as tomorrow may not come