superstu

stiletto vs. diablo

Probably get better openings on Diablo with is straighter leading edge. Turns in the air are going to be comparable in speed with the stilletto being a little faster on a front riser turn. Both seem to have a oversteer with the diablo being slightly more prone to oversteer. With landing you can get a swoop out of the Stiletto and not out of the diablo but the Diablo will sink in better. Performance wise you will find the stiletto higher performance all around but the diablo is no slouch, it jsut does not swoop nearly as well as a 9 cell eliptical.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

in my experiance on both canopies the Diablo can't come close to the turn rate of a stiletto on toggles, risers, or harness. Two tottally different canopeis.
The Diablo is a beefed up 7 Cell. It does all the things a Triathalon/spectore/omega do well, but just a little bit faster. They will surf (but so will a specture), and if you ask me they land like shit surfing or straight in. However, I have never jumped a seven cell that I thought landed well....what can i say, i love the eliptical high aspect ratio wing. You really are looking at apples and oranges when u compare these canopies.
The diablo is more in the league of Sabre/Sabre2 Safire/ ....not in the stietto/crossfire cobalt etc .

Z

I own a Diablo 150, and I wing load it pretty good 1.7 I have some awsome swoops out of it, but I am doing 270 hooks to get them, It like most canopies will do what ever your experience or nerves will allow you to do. I have replaced it with a new xaos 120. which I get better swoops from without the 270, ( I have not got that far with it as of yet ). I have only made a few jumps on a stiletto, and it is a great canopy it flies much different then the diablo. But I liked the openings on the diablo better.
But If you know how you can make any canopy swoop. Some just better then others.
Still here after all these years

Clayton

The Diablo will turn faster than most anything out there, but the Stilletto will swoop farther. The openings will probably be slightly nicer on the Diablo, but you'll get a better glide ratio and distance on the Stilletto. The Diablo can absolutely be swooped, but it won't go as far as a Stilletto. So it all depends on what you want in a canopy.

I own a Diablo 88 and a Cobalt 75. I love the Diablo for its fast turns and fun flight characteristics, and the Cobalt more for its swooping ability.

W

7 cell vs nine cell don't really apply here, apples and oranges thing. I think it is airfoil thickness and aspect ratio that make difference see below.:P

a vengeance is the highest aspect ratio canopy PD makes at 2.72/1 (and I like em)B|

a velocity is 2.68-2.71 (depending on size (and I like em)B| note whole point of post right here

stilleto is 2.68/1 (fun, I like a vengenace better):)
sabre 2 2.58/1 (never jumped one..but the old sabres were fun for a 10 year old canopy):)

a spectre is 2.14/1 (they are ok if you have to land a parachute safely and it is zp...and if you hook really low and surf 50'.. I surf 4 times that on my VX):|

a diablo is a thick arifoil swept tail eliptical seven cell. it does a 360 really fast and will swoop ok with skill....ok for true 7 cell with huge freaking nose that is.;)

ramon

"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

Does the cobalt get you back from a long spot better??

Yep. Both my Diablo 88 and my Cobalt 75 get me back from a long spot better than either my Triathalon 99 or my old Jedei 92, but the Cobalt gets me farther than the Diablo. Its got a much flatter airfoil.

W

Looking at your profile, you have 61 jumps. prolly a few more unless you update it all the time :)

I would consider something other than either of those 2 parachutes. Something like a sabre2 would be a good step for you. Very agressive canopy and will do what ever you want it too. But sized properly, will give you lots of room to error and to learn before jumping up to an even more high performance canopy.

The stiletto out performs the diablo in every way.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

They are just totally differen't canopies. The Stiletto is 9 cell and the Diablo 7. I would say the Diablo will probably turn faster....but....the Stiletto will swoop longer. However....I only have 311 jumps so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about...

Sounds to me like you know exactly what you are talking about.. :)
I only have 375 jumps so what in the hell do I know what I am talking about???

I like my crossfire2 baby yeagh!!!

Rhino