Squeak

9 cells & 7 cells

what if any is the difference in a 9 cell and 7 cell canpoy of the same area?
Also can you still get 9 cell canpoies. All the none student rigs on our DZ are 7 cells
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

9 cell canopies are far more popular currently than seven cells are. Sabre2(PD), Stiletto(PD), Heatwave(P), Hornet(P), Safire(I), Crossfire(I), Vengeance(PD), Samarui (BAS), Lotus(BAS), Sentry (FCI), Silouette(PD), Nitron(PA), Fusion(PA), and some foriegn stuff. (PD = Performance Designs, PA=Precision Aerodynamics, FCI = Flight Concepts Intl., BAS = Big Air Sportz, I = Icarus Canopies)

7 cells typically have a great rate of descent. 9 cells typically more flat glide.
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

The typical 9 cell will have a better glide rate then most 7 cells, but some of the new 7 cell designs like the Spectre will be able to glide just as far as most 9 cells.

9 cells tend to be swoopier then 7's. Most 7's are great canopies for most jumpers that are not looking for a long swoop. Each canopy is desigened different so you may have 7 cells out swooping 9* cells just due to their design.

Some of the hottest 9 cell new designs are the Sabre2, Cobalt, Crossfire2 and the Nitro. Some of these are aggressive canopies and some are milder. Hot 7 cell canopies are the Omni, the Spectre, Triathlon v4.0.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

but some of the new 7 cell designs like
the Spectre will be able to glide just as far as most 9 cells.

Personally, I don't agree with this. I've been on a two way where I opened about 500ft lower than the other guy and we were way out there. I made it back comfortably under my Hornet and he landed way off. I load my 170 at 1.2 and he was loading his 210 and .9. It was easy to see him falling down and away from me. No radical turns or anything just straight flight.

Just my $.02.;)
J
YSD#0009

The Spectre's trim is set that it is more ground hungry then a Hornet; however, when flown properly you WILL be able to get just about as good as glide as a lot of the 9-cells out there.

I've seen more then one jumper out swoop someone on their little 'ol Spectre.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Did anyone ever complain about it being ground hungry

Yeah, but compared to what was being flown at the time...:P

Compared to a Sabre2 or a Hornet, it is ground hungry, though, but you just can't beat those openings. You jump or were jumping a Spectre, right? I'm sure you score some sweet swoops with it, it really comes down to canopy pilots.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"Spectre, right? I'm sure you score some sweet swoops with it, it really comes down to canopy pilots."

Never a truer word spoken Aggs old friend, as I'm sure some of the more proficient swoopsters here will agree, it ain't what you fly, its how you fly it...
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

"Spectre, right? I'm sure you score some sweet swoops with it, it really comes down to canopy pilots."

Never a truer word spoken Aggs old friend, as I'm sure some of the more proficient swoopsters here will agree, it ain't what you fly, its how you fly it...

I have witnessed jumpers pull a 180 toggle hook and swoop a shorter distance than someone pulling minimal double fronts on a straight in approach many times. And to keep the factors somewhat even both canopies were elliptical (in some cases non elliptical riser approaches) and the ones toggle hooking are loaded heavier than the jumpers using risers to build speed.:S I have just started using double fronts on approach in the last 50 to 60 jumps so I am pretty new to more "higher performance" approach relatively speaking.

oops, only helped to get this thread more off topic:)

"oops, only helped to get this thread more off topic"

Hell, if that was a crime, we'd all be in trouble. :$:$:S:)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson