Spy38W

Skysurf Deployments

Not exactly sure where to put this, but I thought this might be the best...

I was thinking about how skysurfers deploy in a stand on the board, wondering about how fast they are usually going when they dump, and do they get slammed? Or do they do something different with packing or equipment to soften the openings?

--
Hook high, flare on time

The (downwards) speed of the skysurfer in standup(obviously) depends highly from the board. Bigger board -> slower speed, smaller board -> faster speed. I know couple of friends who regularly jump their normal ellipticals at 120 range in skysurfing jumps also. I've always thought that skysurfers have fairly slow downwards speed, due to the fairly large amount of drag created by board.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

As far as I'm aware the more experienced you become at skysurfing the bigger your board becomes - slowing your fallrate down to normal flat speeds if not slower.
When you're learning on a small board (with a corresponding high fallrate) the placement of your feet is slightly different to allow you to deploy on your belly.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

a skysurfer was one of the first people on our team a few years back. from memory he jumped a cobalt 120 loaded about 1.8 and his standing deployment was at about 140mph.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

My exit weight is about 225lbs, and my avergae speed is 140mph when I deploy, sometimes, if its hot out, I may fall a bit faster, if its cold a bit slower. I started with a Sabre 150 and got slammed regularly. My Cobalt 135 opens best. I just roll the tail, and keep rolling it and keep rolling it.....usually 10-14 times as far as i can get it without screwing up the cone/lines inside. My Vengeance 120 was also a nice open with my board, but it was more apt to go off heading than my Cobalt, so I stick to my Cobalt for jumping my board. Hope that helps. Tom

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Board Exit.jpg

When I jumped a board, my average standing fall-rate was 110mph. This was on a 43" board and I'm only 5'2" so it was aaaaaalmost pro size. Was not going to jump my cross-braced canopy though with it, I stuck to my trusty Safire109. Even on a small board, I pulled standing up, crazy as it may sound, but I could do it because I'm so small. Do NOT recommend that though to other beginners. C ya!

My speeds before opening are around 240km/h and with first board jumps I used good old PD 193 (+1000 jumps) which didn´t open too fast and after I was assured I could manage to open stable I changed to BlueTrack pro 120 with larger slider to prevent those crisp French openings.

With larger slider no slammers.

I use advance size board and load BT pro 120 around 1,6 lbs/sqf

Jussi
---Ubi est actio hic?---

Here is the general rule of thumb relating exit weights to stand up deployments on boards. This will assure a soft/normal opening. Packing your chute to snivel 500-800 ft. also helps considerably.

Exit Weight (lbs.) Recommended Board Length

Less than 135 42"min length

136-185 45"min length

186+ 48"min length

Beginner boards usually require a belly to earth deployment but if you are very small (like Brittany) you could deploy in a stand up but I wouldn't go there unless you are in the 75-105 pound exit weight range.

Kerry
Surf Flite-Skysurfing Equipment
B|(and wakeboards too)

Kerry

Kerry, feeling any better? I read about your accident last spring.

I do have a question, since the baby board is a belly deployment, and if I was to step up I would'nt be ready for a full 48 inch board, what should I do about deployment? is it ok to deploy a 40 inch board on the belly?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've seen belly deployments on "intermediate" length boards. If you are big (no insult intended) enough to be on a 48" board then that is the size board you should try. The boards length is all relative to your size. A 48" board is probably too long for say a 5' 5" , 140 lb. person just getting started. But in proportion to a 6'1", 200 lb. person it isn't that bad.
The length to weight chart isn't written in stone, you can go shorter but these ratio's have been tryed and tested over time and we know they are safe. You would probably have no problems deploying on a 40" standing up 99 out of 100 times but it's that 1 time that could get you.

BTW, I am recovering well from the accident. I have had the clamshell brace off for about 6 weeks now. I went to the doc last week and was told I am in the top 5% and recovering well. Originally he told me I could never jump again, but last week he hinted around that maybe I can in another 8-10 months. I went to the DZ yesterday and felt like a fish out of water. Got to see a few freinds though and had fun.
Best regards,
Kerry