AiRpollUtiOn

WOHOOOOOWWWW

I jumped someone's Stiletto 150 today, and was absolutely amazed about the difference with my Sabre 150.
delicious opening, so easy to control with harness input when still in half-brakes (getting down the slider), so crisp and fast turns on toggle, same for front riser but my god sooo fast!, so sweet to put on the ground => much less input needed for nice flatten out and landing.
In a nutshell: I'll have to try to get it out of my head, or this 'll cost money, I really do want to wait untill next year before buying a stiletto or Contrail 135 or 120
Just felt like sharing...
P.S.: Decided not to go for hook nor carve, didn't want to spoil the fun, but I admit my left arm was tempted to give it a yank anyway...
Will jump for beer, bs AiRpollUtiOn

Stillettos are fun aren't they. I have found that they like to be carved much more than hooked. #1 you have to be "really low" compared to most canopies to hook it and you WILL be totally comitted 9swung far out from under it). Do it too low and you'll regret it. On the other hand if you start a bit higher and gently carve it, I find that I can build more speed than the hook. It also gives you many more times the control because you aren't near as deep "In the corner" and can bail whenever you want. Safe Swoops!!!
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

IT is a vicious cycle from here on out.. More fun, more danger, more fun, more danger.. Be safe!!
As well as the above canopies don't forget the crossfire2... After your progression permits safely :)Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)

the contrail is performance variables version of a stilletto. we manufacture it for them.

Well, if one of my subcontractors had this kind of attitude, i would talk to him... but not too long.
Claiming that the contrail is a stiletto is terribly unfair to the contrail. It is much better than a stiletto (and much cheaper). If you manufacture it you should know that the contrail had lots of reengineering compared to the stiletto.
In addition, the way you tell it is quite misleading: many people know that you used to produce a canopy sold under different names; hence with your wording it sounds like if the contrail was exactly a copy of a stiletto.
Is it just me, or each of your post is almost the truth, but from a very special point of view?

Hey, you can't "third" anything; that's against the rules of parimentary procedure and results in a "case of beer" fine where I come from. :D
On a different note: anyone considering a Cobalt who has previous HP experience really ought to try the Competition Cobalt as well as the "stock" model. They truly are two different-flying mains and appeal to different people in different ways.
Chuck
Are you a Monkey or a Flunky? HERE

I demo'd a Contrail. It flies more "solid " than the Stiletto. It's not a high performance canopy by todays standards, but it is a very nice canopy. Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. The Contrail would be my first choice..for price and performance!
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Have you guys considdered my jump count in this advise?
For the moment I'm at 116, flying a Sabre 150 at 1.3
I'm thinking about going for new gear next season, when I should be at about 250 - 300 jumps.
What about sizing???
I love to go fast, recently had dive loops installed on my rig, but I don't want to push it...
The reason I ask is that out here there aren't many people jumping cobalts, so I don't really know much about it.
Sabres, Stilletto's and contrails are like the most common canopies out here (except for those who buy PDF material, but I'm not into french material...my rigger seconds and thirds me on that on, I think he would even fourth that if necessary)
All is well that climbs well
:P Tom

I don't like anonymous crap here either. My experience with Dan has been that he has taken a unique perspective on the truth in the past. One specific experience comes to mind. I e-mailed him with several specific questions that came up on a thread here in the forum quite some time ago. Dan e-mailed a response and I posted that information. Dan then made a post in which he stated that he doubted he would have said what I had posted. I responded with cut and pastes of our correspondence, since I felt Dan had called my integrity into question. Dan went off on several tangents and resorted to an accusation that I was posting things out of context. I then posted our exchanges in entirety to address that accusation. About then Sangiro stepped in and essentially said enough is enough. Since then, I have mostly avoided threads in which Dan plays a significant role. I'm sure Chuck remembers the episode, as he sent me several e-mails trying to intervene and act as a voice of reason, since both Dan and I had let our ego's dominate the real purpose of the forum. Bottom line....Dan quite often makes valuable contributions in the forums but is a shameless self-promoter and often uses very carefully worded posts to that end. Setting personal differences aside, Dan is an asset to the forums here on Dropzone.com.
alan

Yep...if someone wants to post things anonymously they can go to Rec. and have at it. Thats what seperates us from that anarchy.

That is about the most sanctimonious claptrap I have read here yet. Go post anon on wreck daht and see how you will be ignored and or flamed.
This is a fantastic site, but that does not make those who post here better people.
Sorry to have to say that, but I have friends in both places (and have gotten good info at each) and some good natured bickering is one thing but the implications in that post really cheesed me off.

Yep...if someone wants to post things anonymously they can go to Rec. and have at it. Thats what seperates us from that anarchy.

please take the bullshitting to Talkback or PM :|

I welcome all serious questions, first-hand experiences, educated opinions and counter-points here in this forum. I could care less whether or not a person wishes to remain anonymous, so long as they keep their posts on target in the "specified" forums. Likewise, I take everything posted here from any manufacturer with a grain of salt. I try not to takes sides unless it gets really nutty; which, as Alan stated, has happened in the past.

>Have you guys considdered my jump count in this advise?

I don't go by jump counts any more. Skill is far more important; someone who has had 12 training jumps under HP canopies is generally better at 100 jumps than most people are at 300 jumps.

Instead, I ask if they have the skill to downsize. Can they:

flat turn and flare turn
land into the wind, in no wind, and crosswind
at least initiate their flare with rear risers (landing ideally)
land uphill and downhill
make a HP landing using front risers (turning and double front)

If they can do all that, it's likely they are ready for the more advanced/less forgiving canopy.