Vlad

Is Crossfire safe ??

Hi all,
Roy from Rigs-and-Things has almost talked me into getting a Crossfire. He is a kick-ass dealer, and I trust him. However, I would still like to get more than one opinion. Do you think that a Crossfire, with a MODIFIED line trim is now safe to fly in front risers ?
I would like to hear something more than rumors , but opinions from Crossfire pilots and/or riggers.
Sincerely, Vlad

Im on [email protected] or so. I had about 50 jumps on it before the trim change. Afterwards, its still the best canopy Ive flown. Its completely stable no matter what youre doing with the risers. The next paycheck or so Ill buy another one. See if he'll let you put a few a jumps on it before he cashes the check. You shouldnt have any problems.

Thanks for reply ! I can get that exact canopy as a demo first. I'm planning to do several 12k hops-n-pops to play with it. What should I check in the air ? What would tell me that something isn't right ?

If the canopy "chatters" after a larger front riser input during the plane out phase, then you might want to reconsider the canopy. We've had a few crossfire pilots at the DZ that had the mod done and the "chattering" went away, but they still got rid of the canopies since they flew different then when they bought them. Also if you throw large quick inputs at altitude with the front risers and if the canopy does funny things, there is your answer.
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

If there is a problem you'll know it. The canopy will "buck" or bounce. sort of the same as what would happen if youre brake lines are too short. Id say chances are that its fine. A very few number of canopies had the problem. Out of the 20 or so people I know with crossfires, none had the problem before hand.

I have personally never flown a Crossfire but I can assure you that Roy knows the flight characteristics and safety parameters of this canopy. I have seen him make hundreds of jumps on his before he downsized to a Xaos 21. Have you considered the Crossfire 2?

I'm not going to get a x-braced canopy, until I have ~1000 jumps, and until I can jump more regularly then I can now. A Crossfire, however, will be a good alternative to Diablo, since it has a better glide. And I'm not downsizing much - only one size down (from 150 to 129).

After jumping the Xaos, THEN the crossfire.. I have a new crossfire coming.. I love the canopy.. I actually don't see myself changing canopies for a long time.. It took me a while to find a nine cell that could beat the Diablo.. The crossfire did exactly that.. Very impressive actually.
Blue Skies ..... ;)

only one size down (from 150 to 129).

Remember that Icarus measures differently from other manufacturers. A Crossfire 129 is really more equivalent to 120 square feet than to 135 square feet on a Diablo or PD product... so it's more like going down two sizes than just one.
pull & flare,
lisa
If I can't have everything, well, then just give me a taste...

vlad,
Diablo only turns a bit faster.. It Stops much quicker than the Crossfire does hence less surf. The bottom end tends to be REALLY thin if you don't have extra energy. The crossfire has TONS of bottom end.
Recovery arc on the crossfire is close to the Diablo. The one I jump is on the mod list so I can't dive it as much as my Diablo110 but I am sure I will be able to dive the new one.
The speed and energy the crossfire builds up is quiet a bit greater than the Diablo.
Crossfire has the best glide of any canopy I have ever seen.
I feel the Diablo is the best at 1.4-1.5 ish. I was at 1.7. And more than 1.5 and you have to work too much.
Crossfire and Diablo both have excellent low speed flight. Diablo would slow down a bit more and the glide angle was steeper than the crossfire.
Diablo was a bit more solid in choppy air.
Both did straight in landings with no problems. Crossfire had 30%+ more bottom end straight in.
Crossfire is deeper in the breaks to get the response I was use to. Flair is really deep.
The Diablo was fun.. I jumped quiet a few canopies including the Xaos looking for a comparison. The crossfire is the best for what I was looking for.
I have a crossfire2 on the way..
Excellent canopy. I won't be switching for a LONG LONG time.
Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)

>yep any new icarus canopy you get is now under the new measuring scale. The
> crossfire was always under the new scale, only the safire wasn't.
So you can have a safire with an old size, a safire with a new size, a crossfire with the old (large size) and a PD-measured stiletto which is similar to the new size of saphire and old size of the crossfire.
Good thing they made it so clear. I'm just going to start calling my safire 129 a 119 and avoid the whole issue.
-bill von

Is the Crossfire safe? Yes it is. The only real difference you will notice on a Crossfire after modifications is that the front riser pressure will be greater than without the mod.
I put about 100 jumps on a 119 Crossfire, while Icarus was busy stroking the dog on my Safire. It is a fine canopy. The slow openings take some getting used to, but can be remedied by going to a smaller slider.
All in all if you are looking at a Crossfire, please do yourself a favor and demo a Cobalt. I would put the Cobalt over any Crossfire in ALL characteristics.
MHO
JJ

As is often the case with skydiving. There is alot of brand loyalty. Me, Ive ruled out buying any Attair product. I have problems with companies going on BB's and saying that another company is going out of business and their products will be recalled. Do yourself a favor. Before you fork out bucks for equipment, jump them. Jump them all if possible.