NicoNYC

What are pros and cons of purchasing new rigs vs. used rigs?

I hear so many different opinions about new rigs such as:

Newer rigs are more dependable when it comes to saving your life, newer rigs have longer life spans, newer rigs are more sturdier, newer is just better, you know exactly how many jumps a newer rig has (zero) before you buy it,

As for used rigs:

Used rigs are cheaper, with used rigs, you can't really determine how much jump life you'll get out of it, you won't really get an accurate previous jump count on used rigs, used rigs may fall apart faster than a new one, etc....

Can anyone shed some light? I know that with a used rig, I can have a rigger check it out before I buy it. However, I'm still a bit confused. Should you still trust used rigs? I know that the skydive and landing all depends on me but you know how murphy's law works...

How many hits of adrenaline can you take?

At the end of the day, ya gets what ya pays for.....
However a used rig, if it fits well, can be a good way of getting you in the air, filling a gap if you are transitioning from student gear to something a little hotter, waiting for your new gear to be built for you etc etc etc.
A used harness and reserve can be fitted with a brand new main, and hey presto.....

But only you can decide what you want to spend your money on.....You are unlikley to get any 'killer bargains' on the used gear scene, so if you see something real cheap eye it suspiciously. Also the temptation exists to buy something that may not suit you right now, but it is immediately available. The seller may woo you, by telling you that the rig suits you perfectly, even though you are not ready for that pocket rocket straight off student status....

Whatever you decide to buy, talk it over here or with someone you trust first.

Gear lust afflicts us all from time to time, so be careful.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Both types of rigs will last and "will save your life". New gear can fail just as likely as used gear can.

New: Fits perfect for you, exactly your colors, has the exact canopies you want, etc
Used: Allows plenty of money of jumping (Currency is more likey to keep you alive then shiney new gear), Allows you to piece together a rig that is close to ideal, can find some great bargins (if you don't mind colors).

I bought my rig used with less then 100 jumps on it and saved $2000 over new for the same equipment. I just bought a used canopy last week since its a bargin compaired to new. Used gear that is inspected is fine to jump. I'm yet to buy a new rig or canopy since there is such a large selection of used gear out there to search through and buy.

There are a few types of jumpers that annoy me, the main ones are the people that spend lots of $$$ for an all new rig, jumpsuit, canopies, helmet, all the goodies... then never jump since they are either too broke or no longer have the desire since they are spending all their time wprking to pay off the gear. If you get used you can use all that excess money to jump your ass off.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Oh, I forgot to add, after 9 years of jumping, I finally got my own custom made harness (after several second hand jobs, and one factory stock one) late last year...there's a lot of credence to what Phree said.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

At the end of the day, ya gets what ya pays for.....
However a used rig, if it fits well, can be a good way of getting you in the air, filling a gap if you are transitioning from student gear to something a little hotter, waiting for your new gear to be built for you etc etc etc.
A used harness and reserve can be fitted with a brand new main, and hey presto.....

But only you can decide what you want to spend your money on.....You are unlikley to get any 'killer bargains' on the used gear scene, so if you see something real cheap eye it suspiciously. Also the temptation exists to buy something that may not suit you right now, but it is immediately available. The seller may woo you, by telling you that the rig suits you perfectly, even though you are not ready for that pocket rocket straight off student status....

Whatever you decide to buy, talk it over here or with someone you trust first.

Gear lust afflicts us all from time to time, so be careful.

Now that is some good and sound advice. Thanks a lot for the useful tip!

Both types of rigs will last and "will save your life". New gear can fail just as likely as used gear can.

You're right on that one.

New: Fits perfect for you, exactly your colors, has the exact canopies you want, etc
Used: Allows plenty of money of jumping (Currency is more likey to keep you alive then shiney new gear), Allows you to piece together a rig that is close to ideal, can find some great bargins (if you don't mind colors).

You're right about currency being the key to survival. The colors and harness size on used rigs may not be perfect either. I guess I just have to get lucky.

There are a few types of jumpers that annoy me, the main ones are the people that spend lots of $$$ for an all new rig, jumpsuit, canopies, helmet, all the goodies... then never jump since they are either too broke or no longer have the desire since they are spending all their time wprking to pay off the gear. If you get used you can use all that excess money to jump your ass off.

I wish I fit in that category. If I did, then I wouldn't even have posted this thread. I guess this all depends on your own personal preference. I really wouldn't mind colors and I'm not particular about manufacturers and what not. I just want the right harness size, a 220 to 240 size canopy, etc. I know the odds of finding that may be rare. I would consider the option to buy a container that would fit me and just buy a new canopy but that kind of cost may be similar to just buying a new rig. Hence, the confusion.

Newer rigs are more dependable when it comes to saving your life, newer rigs have longer life spans, newer rigs are more sturdier, newer is just better....

I just don't think this is true.

Gear is like a car; the second you drive it off the lot it depreciates $9 million. You can find some great stuff for hella cheaper than it would be off the shelf.

I worry when I see people buying brand new gear right off student status. Since they're spending so much money, they want it to be EXACTLY RIGHT and they want to be able to jump it for a long time. So they buy a container that will only fit canopies that are too aggressive for them, because "it's what will be right in 50 jumps or so."

I learned how to land with a slightly used Reflex on my back. That's one dirty Reflex these days. I've seen people freak at the first grass stain on their $1200 container. Hah! Amateurs!

I learned to drive on an '85 Toyota Corolla that cost around $2500. I ran into a pole or two. Later, when I was ready for it, I got a nicer car. I think the analogy holds true for gear. Like Phree said: the main benefits to buying new are custom fit and matchy-matchy colors. Though if you look hard, you can find that with used gear, too.
Skydiving is for cool people only

A much better option is to buy a new container, and tack in used mains untill you are done with them. You can get an Infinity or Wings (Both are nice about holding different sized canopies) with minor options and upgrades for under $1200-$1400 custom fitted. Tack in a used reserve for 500-600, a used main for 600-1000 and a AAD if wanted. That type of rig will be more then enough to last for your first 100-200 jumps, then sell the main and tack in a newer/smaller/bigger/whatever main andyou are off and going again. By the time you are ready to go more then 2 canopy sizes smaller you will probally want a smaller reserve and at that time is a new container.

This way you get the best of all worlds... a custom fitted harness and a cheap main/reserve combo.

Finding large gear is getting easier and easier in the winter and early spring when all of last years new jumpers are wantign smaller stuff for their next year.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Let's say you're 6' 180#. You like Royal Blue, Red, and Black. You want a Wings with the full stainless, and a pud-handled pullout. You want a PDR 176 reserve, and a Spectre 170. You want a Cypress.

I bought that rig new last year for about $4500.

It has about 300 jumps on it, zero on the reserve. You could buy it from me for about $3200 if you're about the same size. You've saved over a thousand bucks, about 55 jump tickets, and the main is broken in enough that you can pack it. Packing a brand new zero-p canopy near-about requires a riggers ticketB|.

I'm not selling yet, but I think that's a usefull way to look at it.

I just want the right harness size, a 220 to 240 size canopy, etc. I know the odds of finding that may be rare.

Not true. My beer rig was a Vector 1 with a Cruiselite '220 and a Swift reserve. The only thing I bought new was a Cypres. I got that rig for under $1 000 and found it in the classifieds right here on dz.com. Keep your eyes peeled and be patient, make sure you buy the rig that is right for you now.

Will

Can anyone shed some light? I know that with a used rig, I can have a rigger check it out before I buy it. However, I'm still a bit confused. Should you still trust used rigs? I know that the skydive and landing all depends on me but you know how murphy's law works...

One of the first things I would do if I were considering buying a used rig "blind" would be to find out the serial number of the rig. Then, I'd call or email the rig manufacturer and ask the following questions:

1. Date of manufacture?
2. Are there any service bulletins for this rig (rigs manufactured during that time frame)?
3. How well do you think this harness would fit me? (Give them all your measurements - height, weight, chest, waist, thigh, inseam, torso etc).
4. Would this harness need modifications to fit me properly? If so, what kinds and how much would the factory charge for those mods? (Then you can consider those costs into the price of the rig)
5. Compatible main and reserves for this size rig? (If you don't know already)

Trying out the rig before you buy it is best of course, and always have used rigs checked out by a rigger before you jump them. Contacting the manufacturer about the rig might give you a little more info than the seller can give though.

I personally do not mind helping someone figure out how well a used Wings will suit him/her. I imagine the other manufacturers don't mind either.

blue skies!
Heather
Sunrise Rigging

Hi Heather! My Cypress and check are on the way!

One other plus about buying new, is that when you get a new/smaller rig, you can just tell the manufacturer "Same measurements as my last one". Makes you feel all important.

"A W-10 please, my measurements are on file"

Oh, and when you get a new one, you get the beer coolie.;)

So cool. Wings customer service is tops.

JP

Until you have enough money to enjoy paying for your choice of color etc, I'd go with used. Obviously, if you're very hard to fit, a custom harness may be necessary.
Just don't be in a hurry; I got nice 2-year-old gear, made for someone my height, weight, and build, with Cypres, for about $2500, because she quit jumping and wanted to buy a house. But I checked the ads religiously for about 6 weeks, and already had gear to jump. She threw in a jumpsuit and gear bag.
Lots of students buy new gear, or barely-used gear -- I'd say your chances of finding a 200+ sq. foot not-too-docile-not-too-hot canopy would be pretty good. I'd go used in your shoes every time. Make sure it's inspected by someone you trust, and talk it over with someone who knows gear and knows you.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Gear is like a car; the second you drive it off the lot it depreciates $9 million. You can find some great stuff for hella cheaper than it would be off the shelf.

I hear ya about that. The last thing I'm really concerned about is the resale value. When it comes to selling something used, I always expect to lose.

I worry when I see people buying brand new gear right off student status. Since they're spending so much money, they want it to be EXACTLY RIGHT and they want to be able to jump it for a long time. So they buy a container that will only fit canopies that are too aggressive for them, because "it's what will be right in 50 jumps or so."

I hear ya about this one too. However, I'm only looking to downsize from 240 to 230 the most. I would like to hone my canopy skills first before I even downsize to 210, which is what I was flying last year.

I learned how to land with a slightly used Reflex on my back. That's one dirty Reflex these days. I've seen people freak at the first grass stain on their $1200 container. Hah! Amateurs!

I don't freak. I bitch if I even get my jumpsuit stained but then I thank god and pat myself on the back for walking away with my own two feet.

I think the analogy holds true for gear. Like Phree said: the main benefits to buying new are custom fit and matchy-matchy colors. Though if you look hard, you can find that with used gear, too.

You and Phree are absolutely correct. Since Winter may keep me grounded until next year, I might as well devote that time for looking for a used rig.

The last thing I'm really concerned about is the resale value. When it comes to selling something used, I always expect to lose.

No no, what I mean is that you work the automatic depreciation to your advantage -- you can get something practically new for a lot less than what new actually costs.

Since Winter may keep me grounded until next year, I might as well devote that time for looking for a used rig.

Yay! Used-gear shopping is FUN, especially when you're not in a rush.
Skydiving is for cool people only

A much better option is to buy a new container, and tack in used mains untill you are done with them. You can get an Infinity or Wings (Both are nice about holding different sized canopies) with minor options and upgrades for under $1200-$1400 custom fitted. Tack in a used reserve for 500-600, a used main for 600-1000 and a AAD if wanted. That type of rig will be more then enough to last for your first 100-200 jumps, then sell the main and tack in a newer/smaller/bigger/whatever main andyou are off and going again. By the time you are ready to go more then 2 canopy sizes smaller you will probally want a smaller reserve and at that time is a new container.This way you get the best of all worlds... a custom fitted harness and a cheap main/reserve combo. Finding large gear is getting easier and easier in the winter and early spring when all of last years new jumpers are wantign smaller stuff for their next year.

Great tip dude. I think i may just go this route. It's sensible and I can shave off at least a thousand bones.

Let's say you're 6' 180#.

Let's say I'm not dude. I'm 5'6" and I weigh 150lbs.

I'm not selling yet, but I think that's a usefull way to look at it.***

You're right about that. I think I may go with the used route. I hope you successful in selling your rig when you're ready to sell it.

Not true. My beer rig was a Vector 1 with a Cruiselite '220 and a Swift reserve. The only thing I bought new was a Cypres. I got that rig for under $1 000 and found it in the classifieds right here on dz.com. Keep your eyes peeled and be patient, make sure you buy the rig that is right for you now.

Dude, that's awesome man. Now I'm really pysched about buying used gear. Vector 1? Would you think that outdated or original series containers may or may not be a good move?

One of the first things I would do if I were considering buying a used rig "blind" would be to find out the serial number of the rig. Then, I'd call or email the rig manufacturer and ask the following questions:

1. Date of manufacture?
2. Are there any service bulletins for this rig (rigs manufactured during that time frame)?
3. How well do you think this harness would fit me? (Give them all your measurements - height, weight, chest, waist, thigh, inseam, torso etc).
4. Would this harness need modifications to fit me properly? If so, what kinds and how much would the factory charge for those mods? (Then you can consider those costs into the price of the rig)
5. Compatible main and reserves for this size rig? (If you don't know already)

Trying out the rig before you buy it is best of course, and always have used rigs checked out by a rigger before you jump them. Contacting the manufacturer about the rig might give you a little more info than the seller can give though.

I personally do not mind helping someone figure out how well a used Wings will suit him/her. I imagine the other manufacturers don't mind either.

blue skies!
Heather
Sunrise Rigging

I was just about to ask you if you were a rigger or an assistant. Service bulleteins for rigs or canopies. Wow, I thought they only had those for automobiles. Cool. Can I reference that on the manufacturers website or is there another source for that info?

I'm definitely going to have a rigger check out the rig. However, if I am going to purchase this online, that may be a little difficult to do because that would mean that I have to bring the rig out to my DZ. I doubt that anyone would ship their rig to me w/o some kind of down pymt or something. Great tip though. Thanks!

I'd go used in your shoes every time. Make sure it's inspected by someone you trust, and talk it over with someone who knows gear and knows you.

You women suck. You always get the best bargains and best deals for anything and everything. Seriously, sounds like you made out like a bandit. I hope that I'm as fortunate as you were in finding a good deal. I'm patient though. I have from now until April of next year to find something. Thanks for your tip. I will definitely consult with someone that knows me first.

No no, what I mean is that you work the automatic depreciation to your advantage -- you can get something practically new for a lot less than what new actually costs.

Cool. Now I get your vibe. I will be patient in my search.

Yay! Used-gear shopping is FUN, especially when you're not in a rush.

I guess. If I'm going to be looking through hundreds of classified ads, I'm not going to be as enthusiastic as you are. However, I'm still going to do what I have to do.