deaffreeflyer

Speed Reserve

Do anyone here know more about German reserve - Speed? I was told it is a very good reserve and really cheap. It's really popular in UK cos it's much cheap - I can buy it without any shipping and import duties etc... So I surfed into www.paratec.de to find out more about it. I was shocked to discover how small packing volume. Compare this Speed 135's packing volume is 248 and PD Reserve 126 is 296. But there was not much info about it. Anyway I am not sure which size of Javelin I should go for cos of reserve volume. I don't think this Speed 135 will be suitable for 126 to 135 reserve Javelin - it'll be too loose. Do you reckon Speed 135 will be perfect for a container - size between 106 to 120?

Concerns you need to look into are is it TSO'd for the US? Some foriegn gear can not be used as a reserve/container in the US untill it passes the US TSO process.

What measurement are they using for square footage? A Safire 169 is more like a PD 155 canopy if you use PD's methods to measure the Safire. Would you want your reserve to be a 109, or do you want the 135?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Concerns you need to look into are is it TSO'd for the US? Some foriegn gear can not be used as a reserve/container in the US untill it passes the US TSO process.

He's in the UK.... And there shouldn't be much difference in the measurements for perfectly square canopies (i.e. chord x span). One manufacturer may measure topskin and another bottomskin and yet another the profile, but there shouldn't be much difference as long as it's not "elliptical."

Jason

But the PD reserves are actually bigger than what their name indicates. According to the chart in the paragear catalog the PD126R is 137. Their information is from PIA and some of it from the manufacturers, so they can't all be compared but it's an indication.

You can surf Paratec's website and find out about this company. More information about Speed Reserve.

I found out this information and compare with other well known reserve:-

PD Reserve 126 - 16.27ft Span 7.75ft Chord 296 Pack Volume
PD Reserve 143 - 17.33ft Span 8.25ft Chord 338 Pack Volume
Dash-M 135 - 17.40ft Span 7.70ft Chord 304 Pack Volume
Speed 135 - 18.83 ft Span 7.58ft 248 Pack Volume

Speed 135 size is bigger than PD 126 which seem fine to me but I am just concerned about volume - it's a lot smaller than PD Reserve 126 and Dash-M 135. So you see why I don't know which Javelin Odyssey size - NJK or TJNK should I go for because of reserve volume - Javelin size chart

I was looking for if this reserve passed TSO C23d stuff. I was under impressive that it did some tests - loaded test, speed deployemnt - 150 knot. Website translated German to English but it's not perfect English. You can have a look in the News. It's on 2nd column, 1st paragraph. I am not sure if Speed Reserve is TSO'd.

I know few guys jump with it and their rig looks so tiny! They even went to USA and no problem with it. I know it's not well known in the world but I haven't heard anything bad about it.

Numbers published by canopy manufacturers border on useless, since every canopy manufacturer uses a different measuring method.
I only trust numbers published by container manufacturers, (i.e. Rigging Innovations) since they are the ones who take it in the shorts if a canopy does not fit.
Secondly, packing a reserve that is one size larger or smaller than a container was originally designed for is not a big issue. Modern containers have through loops that are easily adjusted for minor variations in pack volume and pilotchute springs keep sufficient tension on the pin.

Look almost in the end of the catalog, there is a canopy comparison chart. In my catalog it's page 234.
They also thank Sandy Reid (from Rigging Innovations) I figure he provided some information.

Cool, thanks for the info

--
Hook high, flare on time

I have Speed 2000 reserve in my rig. I test jumped the 120 (@ 1.8) before I bought the 135. It flew well, the landing with 120 was acceptable.

I think 135 packs close (slightly bigger perhaps) then my girlfriend's Tempo 120 , so you could consider a container size for that.

Marcin

A foreign jumper can jump foreign gear in the U.S. and are only subject to their home countries reserve inspection cycle, not the U.S's 120 cycle.

Hook

I have two jumps on a Speed 150 (DOM 1991) and have no complaints about this reserve. The first jump was a cutaway and the reserve worked very well.
The second one was a high speed opening (someone accidently pulled my reservehandle while doing a 10-way) without any problems. Although I loaded the Speed @ 1.5, the landings, flaring were acceptable. I still use it today.

i would go with the NJK, my friend jonny has a NJK, and he puts a pdr 126 in there. if you call javelin, they and ask, they will tell you that a pdr 126 goes in, just a little tighter than say a dash-m 120, tempo 120, or a pdr 113.

later

blue sky's and long swoops
kelly

"hook low, flare late...........dirt, tumble, dirt.........ouch"