Chief

Cobra Canopy

I am about to try a Cobra 190 canopy. It is not the size I question, but the make. Is anyone familiar with a Cobra and any secrets to pass along before I jump it. The canopy is not known at the local DZ, hence I must solicit the help of my on line DZ friends. Thanks and Stay Safe!

The cobra canopy is a square platform of 9 cell, flying and sizes similar to sabre, manufactured by Atair and sold in the past by Winchester Tecnologies - Sky DEpot in USA with sales of the canopys Alpha

Roq

thanks roq,

the cobra was skydepot/winchester's name for a canopy manufactuted by atair for performance variable in germany. it is a square 9 cell.

sincerely,

dan<><>
atair aerodynamics
www.extremefly.com
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

More Info on the Cobra (named Spark in Europe):

The Spark canopy is a classical rectangular 9cell construction. It is offered to experienced jumpers as well as for students and is a real success in the skydiving market.

The sizes 190, 210 and 230 are also available as Spark Student which has a mixed material construction. Top skin is Zero-P, bottom skin and ribs are made from 0-3cfm fabric.

This version is very popular in skydiving schools all over Europe.

Spark is available in the following sizes:
105, 120, 135, 150, 170, 190, 210 and 230 sqf.

Technical Specifications:

Model

Cells Area
(sqf) Packing
Volume
(cbi.) Weight
with Lines
(lbs) Exit
Weight
(lbs) Span
(ft) Chord
(ft) Aspect/
Ratio Micro Lines
(lbs)
Spark 105 9 105 260 5.1 116 16.33 6.52 2.5:1 500 or 725
Spark 120 9 120 286 5.2 133 17.19 6.85 2.5:1 500 or 725
Spark 135 9 135 315 5.5 149 18.14 7.28 2.5:1 500 or 725
Spark 150 9 150 340 6.3 165 19.16 7.64 2.5:1 500 or 725
Spark 170 9 170 365 6.8 187 20.34 8.04 2.5:1 725
Spark 190 9 190 418 7.6 209 21.62 8.66 2.5:1 725
Spark 210 9 210 518 7.8 241 22.73 9.09 2.5:1 500 or 725
Spark 230 9 230 523 8.3 253 23.75 9.51 2.5:1 725

sincerely,

dan<><>
atair aerodynamics
www.extremefly.com
Daniel Preston <><>

>More Info on the Cobra (named Spark in Europe):
>The Spark canopy is a classical rectangular 9cell construction.
It is offered to experienced jumpers as well as for students and is a real success in the skydiving market.
Personally, I've never heard of it.
>This version is very popular in skydiving schools all over Europe.
Five out of nine dropzones in the Netherlands do not have them - all cater to students.
Might you be speaking for Atair instead of on personal title?

Or might they just be popular out side the Netherlands? Europe is a big country... PdF is popular in a lot of the western parts... Atair is popular in Eastern Europe from all accounts.

Flight Concepts is popular in its geographic area here in the States... but go outside that area and no ones heard of it. PdF will not sell its canopies to America so its basically unheard of here while its popular in Europe.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

johanw,

i cut and pasted the above info from performance variables web site, we sub contract manufacture the spark for them.

so no i am not promoting the spark as it is not my design and it is L7 , you know square...

sincerely,

dan
Daniel Preston <><>

I know and I tried the European Spark canopies. In my country there are some to fly.
The Spark is similar to sabre in Aspect Ratio and Glide ratio but that I know the Spark is better than the sabre in special in opennings.
The fabric of the Spark is ZP Gelvenor like the Atair canopies.

Roq

>Or might they just be popular out side the Netherlands? Europe is a big country... PdF is popular in a lot of the western parts... Atair is popular in Eastern Europe from all accounts.
I certainly am no expert; I tried to limit my statement to what I know, after four years and only one dropzone outside of my own country.
Europe certainly is a big place, at over 30 countries :]

There are couple of Sparks in finland and even couple in our dropzone. What i've heard from people (never tried one myself) is that the openings can be quite painful. I heard from one Spark owner that he had to install pocket slider into that before the openings calmed down. Of course, openings can be user/canopy individual specific.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Saw one in flight used by Skandinavian jumper. She had around 1000 jumps, so hardly a beginner, but the thing just didnt want to surf/plane out. She crash landed all the time. I wasnt impressed by the glide or flying of this Spark,r eally.

However, Performance Variables (or Atair on their behalf) makes Contrail,which is one of the best flying 9 cell elipticals I saw. Faster than Stiletto but very smooth and with excellent glide! Very much like Impulse/Cobalt or the (S-African) Hurricane that also pretty much impressed me.

As a former Spark owner I can confirm that the openings are awfull from time to time. By rolling the 4 tunnels from both sides into tight roll and tucking that next to the center cell and pulling the slider over the opening of the center-cell and rolling the tail TIGHT it can be made to open semi-softly - the openings are still fast but they do not hurt :P

When you get to know the packing and don't mind the ocasional slam the canopy is a very nice "first canopy" - very nice glide and flare, just a little bit lighter front riser pressure than the Sabre and overall very nice canopy to fly - I liked mine very much - oh, and the fabric is the same nice-to-pack one the Cobalts are made of, so no wrestling with the canopy when packing.

-Kari