CanuckInUSA

Equipment Dealers

As a student/novice skydiver I am in no position right now to be seriously thinking about buying my own rig. But I would like to try and educate myself as to what is available, who makes what, and who sells what, and for how much. Thanks to DropZone, I have been able to educate myself a little as to what Canopies and Containers may be good for myself as well as who some of the manufactors are, but none of the listed dealers seem to have web sites? So can anyone recommend any good web sites where one can browse the products and get an idea of pricing?
Of course when the time does come when/if I become serious about buying a rig, I will have to investigate what's available on the new and used markets and hopefully talking to people at my drop zone will also help.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Always buy locally if you can, then for a first rig look at used,... (DZ.com classifieds are great for that).

www.square1.com
www.paragear.com
www.sunshine-factory.com
www.pier-media.com

Should be enough to get you started. One thing to note on dealers is service... price's may be cheap at someplaces since they have no service...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Can also recommend Ed Cummings at http://www.cummingsrigging.com for new gear orders. Not much for "shopping" on his web site but offers good advice and prices. Another source of links is the yellow pages at http://www.pia.com/. Picking colors is the hardest thing about a new rig.:S BTW in 24 years and about 10 or 11 harnesses I've only ordered two custom. Others I usually bought out of stock or lightly used. Custom canopies are another story.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Canuck,

Check out www.ground-rush.com

They have a ton of links to dealers, used gear websites, as well as links to all/most of the major manufacturers. Plus they have some good articles on what to look for when buying new/used gear and a first rig.
J
YSD#0009

To add to what's been said here, buying used is the way to go unless you've got a lot of bucks. You will want to downsize after 100 or 200 jumps, so buying a new rig that holds your present main and reserve is probably not a good investment. Like cars, they lose their initial value immediately.

People at my DZ have gotten good deals at DZ.COM, but be sure it can be rigger-checked and returned if it doesn't pass muster. Sort of like buying a used car. I kinda recommend buying locally

Make sure it's Cypres equipped or ready.

HW