eml

rolling the nose

rolling the nose and stuffing it in the center cell. this has produced snivels without complications for me for 9 years. someone stated this is really bad for the center cell putting pressure on it. even so, this is common practice by jumpers and packers alike. input and opinions please.

In the packing instructions for my 150 Silhouette it specifically says not to do this. It does mention that jumpers do pack like this and they shouldn't - it does put strain on the stitching. Not to mention very long snivels.

Whether or not to roll the nose depends upon the canopy model. Sabres (Mark !) and earlier designs usually need a bit of nose rolling to open soft.
Most parachutes designed after the Sabre (Stiletto, Sabre 2 and a hundred others) open soft enough that rolling the nose is a waste of time. A few parachutes specifically designed for soft openings (ie. SET 400) open really weird when you roll the nose.
Stuffing anything inside the center cell is just asking for a streamer, off-heading opening, etc.
In the long run, I have found that rolling the tail has a greater affect on openings. Rolling the tail has little affect on how the tail opens, but it does ensure that the slider stays at the top of the lines until line stretch. Slider position makes a huge difference in openings.

Sabres (Mark !) and earlier designs usually need a bit of nose rolling to open soft.

I agree. I would never dream of jumping my sabre again without a few good rolls to the nose. I don't stuff the roll very far into the center cell, I just tuck it in a bit and never had a hard opening since. :)tee