jaymundo

stowing brakeline

The owners manual for javelins dont address the stowing of extra brakeline on the newer rigs that have keepers.I have been routing through the connector link and back down to the top keeper.A couple of packers have shown dislike of this but cant really say why...........advise please

I don't get it. I suppose that happened by pulling the toggle through the excess loop? And if so, it really doesn't matter how you stow the excess line, as long as you don't pull the toggle through the loop when grabbing the toggles?
On my DZ some people just leave the excess "flapping in the wind", as they have no place to put the excess line. So far no-one's had a problem with this, but I guess it's just a matter of time...
Now what was the problem with stowing the loop in the riser?
Erno

So far no-one's had a
problem with this, but I guess it's just a matter of time...

I don't know how many times over the winter, while wearing gloves, that I've managed to get the loose excess on my Odysessy to wrap around my fingers while popping the toggles. It then cuts off circulation, and you have one heck of a cold hand very fast - then you gotta fight with it to get it to let go of your fingers. Sunpath has gotta work on thier riser design, compared to the current Relative Workshop riser, Sunpaths are lacking significantly.

check out some Rigging Innovations risers, such as the ones that come with the Voodoo or even the Vector 3 risers, I've seen keepers to stow the excess line on the back of the riser. I know the voodoo has it standard, the vector 3 might be a mod but im not sure.
ask your rigger to sow the little elastic on. it should be a quick, simple mod.

http://kel197.tripod.com/skydivefriendsTRIPOD/

I personally have never come across a rig without keepers for stowing excess brake line. In the event that I do, I wouldn't stow it through the link connector. I would instead run it perpendicularly between the velcro on my toggles and risers.
I'm no rigger so what do I know right?

On my velcroless Jav risers, I was told to just let the excess brake line flap loose.. I had one loop through itself once and now I use a rubberband to stow excess line.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Thats why:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=forumsafetytraining&Number=157282&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&part=

he was s folding the excess and sticking it in the top of the riser, not bringing the excess thru the riser and around the top of the toggle before inserting in the keeper.
"....and then the canopy opens and you float down to the ground like a multicolored snowflake"
JG
Rat# 27

You should be careful about letting your suspension lines come into contact with velcro, particularly if they are spectra. The hook portion of the velcro will quickly chew up spectra suspension lines.
I loop my excess through the top and put it around the stiffner on the toggle. 200 jumps like this, no problems whatsoever.
My new rig has tape on the back of the riser, but there is still loose line flapping in the breeze when I stow my excess with the tape. 15 jumps with this setup and I had the excess half-hitch over my glove...managed to get it off, though.

>Not all risers have velcro either.
>
>The risers that came with my new Jav have neither a specific place to store the
>excess brake line nor velcro. There is a useable method, but I'm not particularly
>fond of it.
There are at least two people on my DZ with older Javelins that have no way of stowing the excess line. The other one jumps a VX so his excess loop isn't too long. He jumps with a camera though! I'll have to have word with him. The other one jumps a Sabre150, and routes the excess loop through the riser, and under the stiffener.
So what about this "useable method"? I'd hate to see the camera-fliers head ripped off because of the loose line catching his camera/sight/whatever...
Erno