DZDale

Which Helmet do you prefer ?

Hi Everybody
I have just purchased a Z1 and find it quite uncomfortable, feels rather restrictive. Have any of you worn both the z1 as well as The Oxygen A3. I havnt jumped with my Z1 yet and am now contemplating trying an A3. Please send advise and comments.
I have quite a large head and have the xxl liner installed.
Thanks
A man's dreams are an index to his greatness.
- Zadok Rabinwitz

I have not tried other helmets but I love my Z1. Mine is a little tight fitting too but I got use to it plus in the winter months it is quite nice to have the extra warmth with the kind of tight fit. I got the impression that skydiving helmets are supposed to fit snug but that could be wrong. Anyway, I have 250 jumps on mine and have never had any problems with it; this includes about 80 freefly jumps. I think the visor on the Z1 is one of the best visors out there. A friend of mine has left his visor up on a couple of jumps and visor was still there and worked fine after those jumps.
Blue skies
Kirk

I have quite a large head as well (large brain y'know ;)) and the Z1 with the XL liner was quite uncomfy for me.
I now have a Bonehead Havok (with the Large liner) and it's snug but very comfy. Plus you get to look like Darth Vader on his day off. :):)Ramon :)

I've got a fairly large... head too, just an XL Z1 liner though...
how do you wear the helmet? I see some poeple wearing it with the nose inline with the mouth/chin protection. I find it LOTS more confy with the nose way above the chin piece.
If you dont like urs, I'll buy it for cheap! ;)
Remster
Muff 914

Protecs are inexpensive. They protect my ears from the 3D buckles on tandems, while protecting the rest of my head when loving students slam it into the door frame.
I would like to wear a full-face, but Bonehead says that I have the second largest jaw they have ever seen!

I have jumped both Oxygen and, own a Z1. I found the Oxygen to be more sight restrictive. My field of vision with the Z1 is MUCH better. Certainly, the "boxed in" feeling does take some getting used to, but once you give it some time, it is great. Hope that helps.

I love my Z-1, but it did feel a little snug first few times I jumped it. First thing I checked when I got it was field of view, and in my case it's great- except for looking down, (as in looking for cutaway and reserve handles-) I find I really need to shove my chin down a little further than normal- Fogging problems are cured by just popping it open once I'm under a good canopy-
But the Havocs look reeally cool, and there will be new one at the DZ this wekend so maybe I'll get a chance to try it out-
Life begins at 14,000' - Shut up and jump!

if you'd like an all purpose helmet, with external/internal dual audible ports, fairly inexpensive, then you'll want to look into the "Havok" i've never met a helmet i liked, until now, you can also wear whatever eyewear protection you wish, or none at all. I wear prescription lenses, and the Havok is designes to fit around them, and it does, easily, anti-fog design is ample, fit, and donning of the helmet is easy, they've come up with a "winner" here...IMO anyway.
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"