cameramonkey

Dbags: w/canopy or container?

funny, we had this same discussion at the dz the other day, huh kell?
she is absolutely correct, except in those instances when someone chooses to sell you their risers or dbag with the gear (only applies to used gear)...if you are talking new stuff, yes, the canopy only comes with itself!
cheers,
Sis
Dying a natural death is for pussies!

New or used, a container should include - main dbag, bridle and pilot chute, main risers and toggles, reserve freebag, bridle and pilot chute, reserve toggles (reserve risers are an integrated part of the harness), cutaway handle, reserve ripcord.
Canopies come with lines, links and slider.
pull and flare,
lisa
---
Mondays suck

Thats cool. I am selling my first canopy since its been in the closet for the past 2 years. Gonna sell the PC with it, but not the risers. Even tho they are brand new, doubt anyone is gonna need type 8's. I think they'll go better with the container.
Besides, I'll need all the good/new stuff I can to sell the container. Around my DZ, it got the nickname of "the rig of death" as its an old Racer SST. Luckilly its a second generation racer, so it isnt a "Struggle Struggle Thump". I know, I got my first reserve, and my first round jump on that badboy. But it got the name because its kinda worn, faded (DOM 1985), and the risers are exposed as they go over your shoulder. I lost count of how many people stopped me to tell me my gear wasnt packed right LOL. Anyway, its like alot of small jump planes... airworthy, just not pretty.

Oh, and I checked out your web page Kelly, we need more "ugly" women at our DZ ;).

well almost. Confusingly, Aerodyne Research sell risers, pilot chutes, and d-bags as options ("highly recommended for optimum performance") with their canopies.
I've no idea how they can believe their risers and d-bags are compatible with all manufacturers' containers.
Geoff

I was just wondering this myself recently, but think I figured it out... We're selling Pam's reserve to get her something larger, I had someone interested (hope he still follows thru), so I pulled her reserve... I disconnected it from the risers (obviously), pulled the canopy out of the freebag, & packed it up (canopy & lines only).... should I have packed the links with it as well?
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

It really is a major pain in the ass, not only do you have to make sure they are on the links in the right order you also have to make sure there are no twists in them either.
I've had to hook up a main to links before, and hope I never have to do it again. I can immagine a rigger getting pissy about haveing to do it to a reserve, come on I mean you hear how they whine about having to pack racers, and how hard mirages are, and how PDs pack too tight. :D

Although... any rigger worth thier ticket is going to inspect each line, one by one for twists, and proper routing when hooking up a reserve. It only takes 20 minutes and you are done. I've done it plenty of time to my gear and others mains. Any rigger that blindly trusts the lines on any canopy they are hooking up needs to be questioned. I've seen one demo main come to me with the lines in the wrong order. This is right from the factory, so no matter what you still need to look at the lines from even the best riggers.
What I prefer to do is to least keep the line groups in the same bundle is to use twisty ties (bread bag ties). They keep the line groups together, and they let you keep your links/slinks. The big thing with the ties are make sure they don't have sharp ends or they can puncture the canopy.
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

Yes of course you always do a full line check when a new rig is brought in for a repack or you get a new main and hook it up.
The odds though of twists in your lines are greatly reduced though by not shipping the canopy with the lines not on anything. Also doing a full line check may only take 20 min, but reconnecting every line and getting the twists out of it then double checking it again to make sure you didn't mess up can take up to an hour. It is definately much easier to check the lines which are already on links/risers and fix any problems than starting from scratch.

Canopies are sold new on links. Canopies should be sold used on links.
As for the supposed hour long, $100 pain in the ass it is to totally hook up a main; that is a bunch of crap. I WISH someone would show up and offer me a hundered bucks to do that. I just completely reassembled my competition 75, without links, onto slinks and new risers the other day. Took me 15 minutes flat.
My webpage HERE

I was talking about a reserve. I don't know if you really only want your rigger to spend 15 min slapping your reserve back on links.
On a main hell yeah it takes less time cause well if something isn't perfect well you have a back up. I'll also say that a 75 would be a ton easier than a 150 to put back on links.
btw...it only took me about 30 min to get that monster of a canopy back on links, but if it was a reserve and I was your rigger I would do more than just a cursory glance to make sure it was correct. Hey but that is just me, guess I'm the freak.

I have put a canopy that had only 2 links removed from the lines back together, took about 20 minutes, and that was a main. It is a pain. If you are going to pull the links off and zip tie the line, might as well put the zip ties through the lines then remove the links, so they don't get twisted or out of order. That would cut down re-assembly time. PD ships canopys this way w/ a little plastice tie through the lines.
Hook

"Merrick, links usually go with the canopy."

WELLL F**K!!! lol guess I should have asked before I pulled it.. Oh well, I'll just let whoever buys it know before they commit to it. I just thought that it was logical to have a rigger completely check it out before/while it's being attatched.... I've even had to hook my main back up & I didn't think it was that big of a pain in the ass.... made sure the lines were twist free, a continuity check (w/a rigger as well) & I was done. Even if I did buy a used canopy that came with links on it I wouldn't trust that everything is perfect. Oh well, thanks guys!
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

Easy Chuck! That was just a figure of speach. Obviously it won't take a good rigger an hour to reconnect links to the lines. BUT it could take someone who is being careful that long. The $100 figure was just a number, not to worry, no one is being charged for that. As for Merrick's response about the toggles, well those go with the risers!
-Rap

Installing links and risers while the canopy is on the floor is a slow, confusing, frustrating !@#$%^&* process. I have not done it in years.
All modern riggers have a series of clamps so they can suspend a canopy by its tail. This makes the assembly process quick and easy.
By the way, we are discussing a PIA standard that was set back in the early 1980s. It is amusing to see each new generation of jumpers re-learn the same lessons.