steve1

Molar strap??

I am trying to get geared up to pack square reserves and to get my riggers ticket renewed. The rigger I am working under said that the molar strap that he uses on packing reserves may be considered a no no by some riggers. He said he uses it to keep things neat and orderly when putting the canopy in the bag. I was just wondering what some other riggers thought on this issue. It seems like it would be hard to miss this huge strap, but I heard one story about a rigger who packed up a reserve, forgetting this strap. Luckily a malfunction didn't happen or the owner would have gone in. I'd appreciate your ideas. Steve

I was just wondering what some other riggers thought on this issue. It seems like it would be hard to miss this huge strap, but I heard one story about a rigger who packed up a reserve, forgetting this strap.

I know a rigger that popped a reserve to repack it, and pulled it out of the bag....only to find a molar strap around the reserve.. Not exactly something that instills confidence in the rigger that packed it.. My rigger refused to use the molar strap.....and he has no problem bagging a reserve - hell, I just watched him pack both my reserves last week..
Mike

I'm in the process of getting my ticket and doing limited repacks, but my teacher will not even let me consider the use of a molar strap. Is it on the list of required tools in the rig or canopies manuals? If not then don't even think about using it on your practical in front of the FAA official. All riggers should use a check list of their tools and gear and whne they use it make a mark and when its put away you need to mak it again. If you get to the end of the pack job and find something like Molar Strap __X__ _____ instead of Temp Pin __X__ __X__ then you know you got it out, used it but never put it away.
Political Correctness - At least one person at any one time will be offended by something

Thanks for your input. As forgetful as I am I don't think I'll use a molar strap. I heard of people, years ago, who used to tie the top of their lines together to keep things neat. The only trouble was that some people would forget about this and create a streamer malfunction. I was wondering what you would consider a bare bones rigger kit? I planned to order a closing plate and closing device and maybe some shot bags. I have a packing paddle. Anything else that I really need. Thanks a lot Steve.

Forget the shot bags, spring clamps work better.
If you are really worried about forgetting tools, then tie them to your packing table.
It is tough for me to forget my molar strap because I use it for two or three different steps during the pack job.
First, I wrap it around the center cell to keep things neat while stuffing the canopy into the freebag.
Secondly, on Racers, I use it to compress the pilotchute while I fiddle with closing loops and ripcord pins.
Finally, on most other rigs, I use the molar strap to close the container. After the freebag is laying in the pack tray, I slip a B-12 snap (fancy steel hook with an expensive name) onto my molar strap, then wrap the molar strap diagonally around my shoulders. By tying the pull-up cord to the B-12 snap, I vastly reduce the wear and tear on arm muscles and I have both hands free to control pilotchutes, flaps, pick my nose, etc.
It is mighty tough to forget a tool inside the freebag if you need it for the last stage of closing.
By using the same tool for two or three stages, you are also reducing your total tool count.

Finally, on most other rigs, I use the molar strap to close the container. After the freebag is laying in the pack tray, I slip a B-12 snap (fancy steel hook with an expensive name) onto my molar strap, then wrap the molar strap diagonally around my shoulders. By tying the pull-up cord to the B-12 snap, I vastly reduce the wear and tear on arm muscles and I have both hands free to control pilotchutes, flaps, pick my nose, etc.

Do you have a pic of this? This sounds like good idea to maintain the body. My left knee is showing sign of wear after just two seasons of flat packing...[:/]

"... I slip a B-12 snap (fancy steel hook with an expensive name) onto my molar strap ...

Do you have a pic of this? ]

..."

It is pictured in Sandy Reid's 2005 FAA Parachute Rigging Manual.

Step 18: Rigging Innovations Talon 2 Owners Manual and Packing instruction's, "Wrap Molar Strap around center. Pull molar strap tight and lock.". If you have a problem keeping track of your tools, use a checklist or a pegboard with outlines of all tools used! Also one of the first sewing projects I did at RI's rigging course was the pull-up strap RiggerRob described.

"... I slip a B-12 snap (fancy steel hook with an expensive name) onto my molar strap ...

Do you have a pic of this? ]

..."

It is pictured in Sandy Reid's 2005 FAA Parachute Rigging Manual.

Custom made for me By Rob:)
I was onced asked why I didn't use a paddle to pull up with while I was closing a rig. I politely raised BOTH middle fingers an said "thats why"

don't need a molar strap with the deWolf Pack. long bar, knee plate and 1 shot bag is all you need to bag the canopy. pretty easy to keep track of three tools, especially when you'll need them all later.B|

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

:)
There is no need for that tool in the rigging / packing work.

Riggers should be able to keep the reserve in order without it & I would say it will NOT keep the reserve as should.

Use only what is really needed - too much "assist tools" might create issues.

Be Smart & Safe!!!

here is no need for that tool in the rigging / packing work.

Riggers should be able to keep the reserve in order without it & I would say it will NOT keep the reserve as should.

Use only what is really needed - too much "assist tools" might create issues.

I agree - I have one and have gone from not using it, to using it, then back to not again. The only time I've found it helpful was a slippery Raven-MZ, but after playing with it, I figured it out just fine..

**edited for Spelling only.**
=========Shaun ==========

YES!! I saw it happen once!!! I was with a good rigger one time when he popped someone elses pack job. The Molar strap was there with the other riggers name on it.

I'm sure it's not the only time it has happened.

This was about 10 yrs ago.

Ryder
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

I use a molar strap only on Racers. The bag isn't a molar bag, nor does one hold the Racer bag partially shut with a cord as one does for other non-molar bags. So the Racer freebag balloons up with no restraint at all, nothing to corral the canopy inside. More like a shopping bag than freebag.

(There are many ways to pack a Racer so I suppose someone will use a restraining cord. But the top grommet is rather close to the top of the bag, so having a cord through that isn't like having it through the grommet of a 1 pin rig.)

Anyway, for the Racer I find the strap helps keep the canopy controlled. It's harder to leave the molar strap the rig, if one also always uses it to compress the pilot chute before flipping the container.

For those who do use a molar strap, I have a method for keeping track of mine that anyone may find usefull.

I keep a rubber band around my strap to keep it rolled up in my kit. When I use the molar strap during a reserve repack, I put the rubber band around my wrist. When the molar strap comes out, the rubber band is taken off my wrist and back on the rolled up strap. The band on my wrist is a little tight and uncomfortable, on purpose. Very unlikely I would forget to remove the strap using this reminder.

Anyone else have any tips for counting your tools?
Marriage is like a deck of cards. You start with two harts and a diamond only to discover you wish you had a club and a spade!

"

... I heard of people, years ago, who used to tie the top of their lines together to keep things neat. The only trouble was that some people would forget about this and create a streamer malfunction. ...

"

Yes!
A - forgotten - tie strap was mentioned in the first (circa 1969) fatality report in CSPA's AIM files.
Fortunately the modern version involves tying the freebag bridle around the lines - just below the reserve slider.
I defy you to forget the freebag bridle inside a freebag.
Similarly, the key to remembering to remove tools is using the same tool at multiple stages of closing, so that it HAS to be OUTSIDE, late in the closing process.
For example, if you use your molar strap (B-12 Snap etc.) in the last stages of closing a reserve container, it is almost impossible to forget it inside.