rendezvous

Packing "No Clue"

I'm still learning to pack. I have a Talon 2, T-5 and I'm trying to squeeze a Triathalon 175 into it. When it comes time to squeeze the pack job into the bag it starts slipping and eventually I only get half it inside. Is this configuration slightly tough to pack for someone with no experience in packing or are there some tricks to it.

from what I've heard, it is a mesh of finese and timing. You need to push on the canopy just enough to keep it down, but not enough to squish it. And, while you're pushing one side in, put your leg behind the other side so it has no where to go.
good luck, bro! I know how it feels.
-------------
JumpinDuo.com...news, guestbook, and links.

I packed a Sabre 170 into my Talon T5 for a couple of years, so your Tri 175 should be a reasonable fit. It will be full, but not unreasonably tight. As for the canopy squirting out while you try to stuff it into the d-bag: welcome to the world of Zero-P!
Try Philipp Ludwig's bagging technique.
Philipp is a big wig load organizer at Eloy, so he must know what he is doing.
Philipp uses his knees to clamp part of the canopy to the d-bag while he stuffs the rest into the d-bag.
Once you have the canopy flaked, laid on the floor and folded to the same width as the bag, lay on it the squeeze most of the air out.
Kneel on the canopy about 1/4 of the bottom.
Lif the top part of the canopy with one hand, while you slide the d-bag undeneath with your other hand.
Lift your left knee slightly while you slide the d-bag under it.
Now here is the key point, lower your knee so that your knee clamps the canopy to the bag and to the floor.
Repeat the process with your other knee, clamping everything together.
Grab the canopy halfway up on one side.
Stuff your hand into the top corner of the d-bag.
Repeat the process with the other side of the canopy.
Pull the bridle out the top of the d-bag, or cock the pilotchute. This pulls the top 1/4 of the canopy into the bag.
Stuff any remaining loose part of the canopy into the top of the bag.
Now you may lift your knees.
Tilt the bag up so that it rests on the bridle attachment.
Stuff your hand down the middle, filling the upper corners even more. Hint, straight arm, so that it is more of a push-up motion and you are using your weight.
Finally, grab the slider, fold the remaining canopy in half and stuff that into the center of the bag.
Close the d-bag with the first locking stow.
Catch your breath.
I have been using Philipp's bagging technique for the last three years and have found that it works well on everything from Stiletto 107s to huge tandem mains.

", who's to say which is wrong or right."
The only way to tell who is right or wrong is to open it. Did it open "Soft" (This can be a very relative term depending on the canopy), was it on heading? No mals? If those criteria are met then it was a good pack job. I don't care if you used 100MPH tape. AS long as it's reliable and meets those criteria it's all good.
"Carb Heat On....Carb Heat On.....Carb Heat On..."-Phil Polstra :)Clay

Yes there is a down side to Psycho packing.
The name is not nearly as cool as PRO packing!
Getting serious, psycho packing includes a step where you roll the canopy just before stuffing it in to the d-bag. The roll pre-compresses the canopy, making it stuffing it in to the d-bag easier, because the canopy cannot squirt sideways. This rolling technique can also be incorporated into other packing methods.
There are two additional disadvantages to Psycho Packing.
First, you have to remember whether you flopped it left or right. Hint, flop it to the same side every time.
Finally, pyscho packing can lead to ridiculously slow openings on canopies that open significantly slower than Triathlons.

Is there a down side to Psycho pack as opposed to PRO pack.

I heard people say that they don't like psycho packing because you induce a line twist which, if you are not careful, you might not take out or might make worse. A weak argument if you are paying attention, but I could see how someone might put in the line twist and then, in a hurry, put in a second by turning the canopy the wrong way. Sounds weak really. But at the time, they were more experienced than me.
flyhiB|

Have you tried out the "Wolmari pack" ? Its a packing method developed by a finnish master rigger and he says that while it gives much more control over your canopy than the ordinary pro pack, it greatly reduces the risk of a line over.
http://www.parasale.com/wolmari/windex.html

Finally, pyscho packing can lead to ridiculously slow openings on canopies that open significantly slower than Triathlons.

I psycho pack my Stiletto with no problems. My Stiletto opens rediculously slow to begin with (I do nothing to the nose and just quarter the slider without pulling it out). Add rolling the tail along with a psycho-pack and be prepared to pull at 3K to be in the saddle just below 2K.
So, here's what I do... I don't roll the tail. At all. If you look at the psycho pack video on the Precision website you will see the person (Billy Webber?) just take the opposite sides of the tail and cross them, making the canopy an almost perfect triangle shape.
From there just squeeze out the air, fold in thirds & roll it up. I get nice, soft and consistent 500-600 foot openings with this technique. Easy bagging without the rediculous snivel and it is still a great opening.
Not that snivel is a bad thing, but I would rather not have to fly the opening of my Stiletto with my hips or risers any more than I absolutely have to to keep it under control while it "dances".
Kris

If you can figure out the Pro Pack you should be able to figure out a Psycho pack without much help. The photo series on Psycho packing available on the Icarus and Precision website should be more than enough to get you going.
As for videos, I haven't seen any. Maybe they'll include it on the next release of Pack Like a Pro.
-
Jim
Help with cancer research here.

I have a Ttiathlon and had the same problems. I then borrowed the Triathlon packing video and it helped out greatly. One step that made it easier to put in the bag which they show on the video is that you do roll the tail.. then when after your first S fold with the rest of the canopy out. Put you knees on the first s fold with the lines between your legs facing the rest of the canopy on the ground in stead of folding the rest of it. pick it up with both hands and bend the top of the canopy down to the the fold then roll the canopy up instead of folding.. Then you just tuck the "ears" in on the side and keep good pressure on the canopy kneeling on top of it.. every one told me just hold it snug but this never worked it always squeezed out.. you have to put your weight on it and really hold it in place then you can just tuck the folded canopy into the bag , works great for me........

I like the method that riggerob suggested, I call it folding it into the bad instead of tring to fold everything up in a neat stack and then the hard part of sliding it into the bag. This is the way I learned and to be honest I can't even do it the other way after tring many times.
be patiant and learn from others
Don't turn too Low